Downstate's Parking Office authorizes ALL Monthly Parking lot location assignments, issues Vehicle Parking Stickers (and a KCH Access card for KCH locations), and all lot transfer requests. AFTER you receive a Parking Office authorized monthly lot assignment, the Faculty Student Association (FSA of DMC Inc.) administers parking daily operational and payment matters at ALL locations. All Monthly Parking is on a full month basis: 1st day to last day of each month and is not pro-rated. Monthly Parking is available to Downstate ID Card holders (including Downstate affiliates). Parking at the SUNY Downstate facilities is very limited.
All Monthly Parking is on a continuous full month basis until you cancel your monthly parking: 1st day to last day of each month and is not pro-rated. Centerwide announcement (link): To maintain your monthly parking privileges, continuous payment is required for each month even if you will not be on campus; with exception made only for HR approved Leaves of Absence (more LOA detail link)
Monthly parkers (all lots) who arrive at their assigned lot when there are no available self-parking spaces available (capacity), the parking attendant will direct you to an alternate lot location, or may be able to offer the option to leave your car keys (valet style) so that your vehicle can be moved if blocking other vehicles that need to leave. A no-charge claim check ticket is issued to you.
- New Customers for Monthly Parking Instructions-Process (link)
- FSA Parking Terms and Conditions (link).
- Login to Your Monthly Parking Portal (link). Forgot your password? Just follow the 'forgot password' link on the login page to re-set it.
- Monthly Parking lot location details (all lots): hours, and rates at each lot.
- Monthly Parking Rates (link) - includes locations, hours & rates. Uncovered $130/mo and Covered $200/mo. Rates increase Jan 1st of each year per negotiated.
- Pay an invoice on your account, Login to your Customer Parking Portal (link). Cash payments accepted at Bookstore.
Centerwide announcement (link): To maintain your monthly parking privileges, continuous payment is required for each month even if you will not be on campus; with exception made only for HR approved Leaves of Absence (more LOA detail link)
- Automatic Payment Instructions (link) to ENABLE or DISABLE "Auto-charge". Notes about eChecks.
- Having trouble entering your payment method (failures-errors)? See Most Common Tips
- Status changes (separations, official HR approved Leaves of Absence, etc.): Must send eMail to: Parking@downstate.edu before the 1st day of month (when new billing cycle starts). As per the centerwide announcement (link), payment is required for the month even if you will not be on campus; with exception made only for HR approved Leaves of Absence (more LOA detail link).
- To CANCEL your Monthly Parking: Must send eMail to: Parking@downstate.edu before the start of the next monthly cycle (before the 1st day of next month)... essential in order to offer it to next waiting person at the start of the next monthly billing cycle. Monthly rates are not pro-rated; Parking is on a full, 1st of the month to the last day of the month. Once cancelled, you lose your prior parking seniority date and if you desire future monthly parking, you must be up to date with any outstanding balance due to use Daily Parking option or to add your name to the Monthly Parking Wait List. KCH location monthly parkers must return their KCH Access Card to the Downstate Parking Office or will be charged a lost card fee.
- Automatic Cancellation for Non-Payment: If you are automatically cancelled for non-payment on 15th of month, you remain responsible for the current monthly payment, and you forfeit all Downstate monthly or daily parking priviledges. To make payment, login to Your Monthly Parking Portal (link). Once your outstanding past due invoice payment is made, you will be restored for the remainder of the current month.
You can be considered to restore your future/ next monthly parking privileges ONLY If you agree to enable future automatic payments; submit requests via this eMail (link).
If you do not wish to be reinstated for future months, only AFTER you pay your outstanding invoice you will be eligible to use the Daily Parking option. If you desire monthly parking in the future, you can add your name to the bottom of the Wait List (eMail ParkingWaitList@downstate.edu ). KCH location monthly parkers must return their KCH Access Card to the Downstate Parking Office or will be charged a lost card fee.
- Monthly Parking Waiting List (link)
- Monthly Parking Lot Transfers (link)
- Lot Entry Scan Errors - Reasons and Solutions (link)
- Where do I put my parking sticker?. For replacement stickers or additional stickers contact the Downstate Parking Office. More detail- See Parking FAQs webpage.
Monthly parkers who arrive at their assigned lot when there are no available self-parking spaces available (capacity): An earlier lot entry time does help you avoid the circumstance. The lot attendant will offer you the option to:
- Leave your car keys (valet style park); a no-charge claim check ticket is issued to you … so that your vehicle can be moved within the lot if blocking other vehicles that need to leave before you.
- Direct you to an available alternate lot location.
DON'T use an Internet Explorer browser - use Google Chrome, Microsoft Edge, Firefox, or Safari browsers.
Forgot your parking portal password that you set up ? It's NOT your Downstate NetID password unless you established it to be the same. Just follow the 'forgot password' link on the login page to re-set your password.
Reminder- DON'T use an Internet Explorer browser. On the portal, you can manage or change as changes occur to your payment method, set up or change automatic future recurring payments, and submit edits to your customer profile (vehicle changes, address, name or contact info). The Parking Office does not know that you have changed your status (separations, retirements, leaves of absence) until you communicate it to the Parking Office. If your status WILL BE CHANGING, Send eMail (link).
- Your Parking Portal login is typically your downstate.edu eMail address. Your password is whatever you established it to be; It is not the same as your Downstate NetID password unless you specifically established it to be the same.
- Tip- ADD a mobile # on your portal profile - helps contacting you quickly if there's ever a problem with your vehicle in a lot. To edit your portal phone contacts, log into your Downstate Customer Parking Portal (link). If you've forgotten your parking portal password, you can follow the 'forgot password' link on the login page to re-set your password. Once logged in, in the My Details section, click on “view more”. Under Account Details, click on the edit (pencil icon to the right of your name) to update/add phone #s or any other details.
- To make an individual invoice payment, delete an old payment method, or add a new Credit Card or eCheck account, log into your Downstate Customer Parking Portal (link). If you've forgotten your parking portal password, you can follow the 'forgot password' link on the login page to re-set your password.
Next to the "My details" section click on "view more" link. In the Payment Details section, then click on the "edit" button (pencil icon) next to your established payment method that you want to modify and enter your new Card or eCheck details. When entering a new payment method (credit card or bank account), there will be a check box to set your payment as automatic monthly payment. If you do not wish to set your account for future automatic monthly payment, be sure to uncheck that box.
- eCheck payments: These are "ACH (Automated Clearing House) banking transactions" that, depending on your bank, can take up to 5 business days to clear (when we actually receive your payment). Thus, even though your bank immediately deducts the payment from your bank account, we do not receive the funds until it clears. Thus, your parking portal account reflects it as an outstanding balance with an ACH transaction in process until funds are received. If you are making an online late payment, consider changing your Payment Method to your bank account’s ATM/debit card instead of the eCheck ACH payment method. Both are deducted from your same bank account on the day you initiate it, but the ATM Debit card method avoids the inherent payment delay associated with ACH transactions (which can put you at risk of auto-cancellation for non-payment on 15th of month).
- Tips When Entering your online payment method (Credit/ Debit cards or eCheck/Bank Accounts). Credit Card transaction processing companies are frequently upgrading their fraud detection software that can lead to cards that formerly processed accurately to now encounter "Failure Error Code U83' :
If your prior payment method (card) on your parking portal has recently expired, changed,or been replaced, you need to Log into your parking portal to update your payment method. Downstate Customer Parking Portal (link). If you've forgotten your parking portal password, you can follow the 'forgot password' link on the login page to re-set your password. Scroll down your profile details to the Payment Details section, then click on the "edit" button next to your established payment method that you want to modify and enter your new details.
Don't use your browser's "auto fill" feature (some fields may become blank, or address lines may become merged into a single line that cause payment failures). Type in your name and address to match the billing name & address of the card/account holder.
In the “Country” field, make your selection from that field available drop down menu; Some cards require “U.S.A” while other cards will require “United States”.
In the “State” field, make your selection from that field available drop down menu; Some cards require as “NY”, or "N.Y.” or “New York”.
SUNY’s WageWorks- NYS Ride-Edenred, TransitChek, PayFlex, and similar pre-tax payroll deduction commuter programs: pre-tax commuter program debit cards cannot be used to pay for your Downstate Monthly parking fees. Most pre-tax payroll deduction programs defined by your employer’s benefit program are only for mass transit commuters that include the need for an associated mass transit commuter parking lot expense. Downstate's parking lots do not qualify.
For example: Pre-tax parking fee commuter programs can be used ONLY at parking locations associated with mass transit commuting having an associated parking fee at a mass-transit station (Examples-LIRR, MetroNorth, NJ Transit or Path trains). Downstate's employee parking lots do not qualify and typically if you attempt to use your pre-tax commuter debit card, the payment is typically immediately rejected by the card issuer.
Read the terms of the specific program for its eligible expenses, and consult your tax advisor. Current enrollees in those programs can always contact the respective program to STOP or revise these deductions if you are no longer using them.
Some pre-tax program participants report success in receiving reimbursements using the program's "cash reimbursement' method. It requires placing an order for a specific month(s) one month before, make your parking payment using your own payment method in the month of the order and retain the invoice & payment receipt, then submit that receipt for reimbursement from that program.
- If you have a Payment Method programmed on your parking portal, the easiest to pay an invoice is to log into your portal to invoke the payment on your portal. When you alternatively use the invoice eMailed to you 'pay now' button, it requires you to enter all the card information. If all info you enter does not exactly match your bank's record, the payment often fails. After 3 failed attempts, it flags a fraud attempt and rejects additional attempts (“failure code F03”); you need to wait a few hours before re-attempting.5 days prior to the 1 st of each new month, you will receive an automated reminder eMail of your upcoming invoice, so you have the opportunity to modify your payment method BEFORE the 1st day of the new month invoices are posted to your portal account on the 1st day of each month. PAYMENT IS DUE ON THE 1ST DAY OF EACH MONTH.You can't pay an invoice until it is actually posted (appears) on your account on the 1st day of each month. Log into your portal account, open the new invoice and click on the "PAY Now" button to add your payment method (credit card or bank account).
- Payment is Due on 1st day of each month. If unpaid by 15th day, your monthly parking subscription will be Automatically Cancelled and you lose your parking seniority and privileges. More detail
- If your status changes (separations, official HR approved Leaves of Absence, etc.), you need to TIMELY notify the Parking Office; send eMail to: Parking@downstate.edu.Monthly rates are not pro-rated. Parking is on a full, 1st of the month to the last
day of the month. You must make changes before the start of each monthly cycle (1st of each month). Parker payments MUST remain current and continuous to retain ongoing monthly parking
- If you cancel your monthly parking, or choose not to accept your current lot assignment, you forfeit all Downstate Monthly parking privileges and your current seniority status. Should you desire any future monthly parking, you need to send eMail to ParkingWaitList@downstate.eduto have your name added to the bottom of the monthly parking waiting list.
- Parkers on extended Leave of Absence (LOA) verified by the applicable Human Resources Office, may request suspension of their parking access for a future full month(s). Parker must notify the Parking Office (eMail link) to request suspension their future monthly parking payments during the applicable full month(s) while out on an LOA (monthly fee is not pro-rated). Upon return from an LOA, parking privileges will be reinstated on the 1st day of next parking billing cycle at the same level of parking (surface or garage) that the parker had prior to going on leave. Reinstatement of parking privileges to the same parking location assigned prior to the leave cannot be guaranteed. Should a need arise during your LOA period, you can use the DAILY PARKING (link) option.
Automatic recurring payments from the account you established (credit /debit card or eCheck). Invoices are issued on the 1st day of each month. When you first pay an invoice and enter the card or eCheck account details, there will be a box to check or uncheck whether you want to establish that payment method for future automatic payments. If you select automatic monthly payment feature, your invoice is paid by your established payment method automatically on the 1st day of each new month. YOU CAN revise this feature at any time. If you had in past been auto-cancelled for non-payment, you are required to enable Automatic Payments.
- To Start (Enable) or Stop (Disable) your automatic monthly payments ("Auto-Charge"), log into your Downstate Customer Parking Portal (link). If you've forgotten your parking portal password, you can follow the 'forgot password'
link on the login page to re-set your password.
- In the far left column click on "Subscriptions" tab. Your current subscription parking lot location will have a green "live" status (any & all your past subscriptions also appear in the list).
- Click on the current "live" subscription lot name (it’s a hyperlink). The display will include a “Payment Method” section with your
current payment method as well as the applicable link below it to either enable, or disable automatic future payments:
-If you are NOT currently on Auto-Charge, the displayed link "Enable Auto-charge" will appear- click on it to turn it ON.
-If you are currently ON Auto-Charge, the displayed link "Disable Auto-charge" will appear- click on it to turn it OFF.
If you have no payment method programmed on your portal profile, the 'Payment Method' section will NOT appear. To add a payment method, click on the far left column “Home” menu bar which displays any outstanding invoice with a “PayNow” link to click on. Add your payment method details - at bottom of the details is box "I authorize to charge this account for future transactions" (automatic payments); Check or uncheck that box.
- Automatic Payment Failures: When your automatic payment is invoked (1st day of each month), if that automatic payment is declined (fails), the transaction will be re-attempted again every 3 days, and will cease after 3 unsuccessful attempts at which time your future portal automatic payment will be disabled. If you don’t already know why it failed, you need to contact your card provider/bank to obtain additional details. If you are awaiting a new card to be issued to you, you should delete the current payment method on your portal in order to avoid future re-attempt declinations on the card that you know is no longer valid. If you update the payment method on your portal, the next re-attempt will be on the new payment you entered. Make sure you resolve the matter before 15th day of month (update your payment method on your portal, pay the outstanding invoice online, or make cash payment at Bookstore) to avoid being Automatically Cancelled for Non-Payment (link).
If you previously had a Monthly Parking Portal Account, DO NOT sign up for a new account - your prior account will be re-activated when you accept your parking offer. Once activated you may need to update your current vehicle data.
If you've already received a eMail with subject ="FSA of DMC, Inc. has invited you to join their Parking Portal" and you have followed the instructions in that eMail, then start at Step 2.
PC Users: IMPORTANT- Whenever accessing the Sign Up or Parking Portal, DON'T use an Internet Explorer browser -it won't work properly Use any other current browser version (Chrome, Edge, Safari, Firefox, etc..)
Step 1: Things you need to have readily available before going to the Sign Up portal:
Your Downstate ID Card- you'll need the last 6 digits of your UID on the back of card (image),
Your vehicle and plate information.
Include your mobile # on your portal profile - helps contacting you quickly if there's ever a problem with your vehicle in a lot
eMail address: Requires initial SignUp using an "@downstate.edu" eAddress.
State-paid Employees Only: Have a pay stub for your NYS Employee ID#. This will enable you to enroll in a NYS payroll deduction option when that future payment option is implemented. Find it on your NYS pay stub (image)
When you're ready, click on:
Once you complete all record information required, click on "Sign Up" button at bottom of page. This sends your record to the Downstate Parking Administrator.
Step 2: You'll receive an eMail message from "Downstate Parking Portal email@example.com " with Subject = "FSA of DMC, Inc. has invited you to join their Parking Portal".
Inside that eMail message, you must click on the green "Accept Invitation" link. BE SURE YOU ARE NOT USING AN INTERNET EXPLORER BROWSER. This will bring you to the secure web portal ('sunydmc.spotshark.com'..) where you set your password.
Password minimum requirements:
- minimum 8 non-sequential characters and not the same as your login name.
- both upper and lower characters, a number, and ONE special character (!#$%&* etc..).
- If changing your password, cannot be a previous password.
You'll receive another separate automated eMail with Subject= "Downstate Parking: Request to Add Your Payment Method Details on Your Parking Portal". It includes a secured link to establish your payment method, and set up automatic future recurring payments (uncheck that box if DO NOT want to set up automatic recurring payments). This multi-step process is time consuming but better ensures security on your payment data associated with your parking record. Having trouble entering your payment method (failures-errors)? See Most Common Tips
You're now an Active Customer with Online Access!