This web site provides access information and guidelines through Policies & Procedures for the many services provided by the Laboratories at the University Hospital of Brooklyn.
PDF files describing the details are available by using the Policies button in the menu above.
Department of Pathology, Clinical Laboratories
Located on the second floor of the hospital.
Alejandro Zuretti, MD
Room: A2 430
Alix Laguerre, MS
It is the mission of the Department of Pathology to provide quality laboratory testing to all patients being cared for in DMC University Hospital of Brooklyn, DMC at Bay Ridge or its affiliates.
Plan of Care
The purpose of the departmental plan for patient care service is to guide the health care team in developing and implementing patient care services that are in concert with the hospital’s mission, philosophy, vision, organizational structure, policies and procedures, patient expectations and rights and community needs.
Scope of Service
Rights and Responsibilities of the Individual (RI)
- The laboratory staff is educated on the Patients Bills of Rights Policies and HIPAA.
Provision of Care, Treatment, and Services (PC)
- Provides pathology and laboratory services to meet the needs of the clinical staff for assessment of patients (diagnosis, monitoring and training)
- Provide timely specimen collection and laboratory results to aid in the diagnosis, monitoring, and treatment of patients.
Waived Testing (WT)
- Maintains information including requests for diagnostic testing and interpretation of results.
Medical Staff (MS)
- Recommends reference laboratory services and documents approval of the medical staff.
Record of Care, Treatment, and Services (RC)
- The Director of Laboratories is responsible for the Point of Care Testing Program.
Medication Management (MM)
- The laboratories address the preparation and dispensing of blood and blood products.
Transplant Safety (TS)
- Provide intra-operative laboratory services.
- Participates in interdisciplinary approaches to the care and treatment of the patient.
- Laboratory staff provides patients with the specimen collection instructions as needed.
Emergency Management (EM)
- Provide laboratory services for emergency, pre-admission, in-house, and ambulatory patient care based on the individual patient’s assessment and needs.
National Patient Safety Goals (NPSG)
- Implement “Read backs” included in the revised Lab-7 Policy on critical values and tracking of timely communication.
Human Resources (HR)
- The Laboratories provide adequate qualified staff during hours of operation.