Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation
The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is dedicated to providing high quality care to a diverse patient population and to the training of skilled physiatrists who are capable of providing excellent care to patients with a wide range of impairments.
The SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University Department of Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation is the leading provider of musculoskeletal care in the Brooklyn, as well as the preeminent academic facility for musculoskeletal education and cutting-edge musculoskeletal research in the Borough.
Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation (PM&R), also known as physiatry or rehabilitation medicine focuses on optimizing patients’ functional independence and improving patients’ quality of life. The field of PM&R has a focus on impairments or disabilities that effect the bones, joints, tendons, ligaments, muscles, nerves, brain, and spinal cord. Physiatrists seek to treat the patient holistically by addressing a person’s physical, emotional, medical, social, and vocational needs.
As a Department:
- We are strongly committed to provide care for and improve the lives of our globally diverse communities; and to foster an environment that embraces cultural diversity.
- We take satisfaction in the work we do every day, and take pride in our collective contributions to the Downstate community.
- We are committed to the highest standards of ethical behavior and exemplary performance in patient care.
- We value the contributions, ideas and opinions of our patients and partnering organizations.
- We research and develop new and creative approaches and services for the anticipated changes in healthcare.
- We embrace our rich diversity and commit to an inclusive and nurturing environment.
- We are committed to providing the highest quality of service to our patients and community by holding ourselves, our coworkers and our leaders to high standards of performance.
Statement on Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, our physicians, and our staff are committed to creating a supportive environment for all. We promote a culture that celebrates all individuals.
The Division of Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University has a firm commitment to diversity, inclusion, and equity. We seek to create a culturally diverse treatment team that includes our attending physicians, residents, and staff. We recognize the vital importance of a diverse and inclusive treatment team to ensuring that we provide the best care for our patients. We aim to provide a treatment team in the Borough of Brooklyn that more closely reflects the diversity of the population that has settled here and, in so doing, to more effectively care for our community. We are committed to ensuring the development of cultural competence in all of our physicians and staff.
University Orthopedics Bone and Joint Center
760 Parkside Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11226
Contact Number for Questions or Appointments:
The Outpatient Rehabilitation Clinic at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is part of the Department or Orthopedic Surgery and Rehabilitation Medicine’s University Orthopedic Associates Bone and Joint Center
Our Clinics and services offered at the outpatient clinic include:
- Interventional Pain Management Clinic
- Fluoroscopically Guided Interventional Spine Procedures Including:
- epidural steroid injections
- medial branch blocks
- radiofrequency ablations
- Sacroiliac joint injections
- spinal cord stimulators
- facet joint injections
- General PM&R Clinic for pathologies such as:
- Brain Injuries
- Spinal Cord Injuries
- Prosthetics and Orthotics
- Acute Rehabilitation Unit Follow Ups
- Sports Medicine Clinic for:
- Musculoskeletal Problems
- Nonoperative Orthopedic management
- Diagnostic Ultrasound
- Ultrasound Guided Injections
- Regenerative Medicine/PRP
- Pediatric Sports Medicine Clinic
- Electrodiagnosis: EMG/NCS Clinic
Common and Frequently Performed Procedures Available at Our Outpatient Clinic
- Electromyography and Nerve Conduction Studies (EMG/NCS)
- Ultrasound guided diagnosis and injections of tendon sheaths, nerves, joints, and bursas
- Fluoroscopically Guided Interventional Spine Procedures Including: epidural steroid injections, medial branch blocks, radiofrequency ablations, SIJ injections, spinal cord stimulators, and facet joint injections.
- Peripheral joint injections
- Peripheral nerve injections
- Bursa injections
- Platelet rich plasma (PRP) Injections
University Hospital Downstate
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
450 Clarkson Ave, Brooklyn, NY, 11203
Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit Contact Number:
718-270-3785 – Nursing Station 74
- The Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Unit at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University has 18 Acute Inpatient Rehabilitation Beds.
- We Offer Inpatient Rehabilitation Services for:
- Active polyarticular rheumatoid arthritis, psoriatic arthritis, seronegative arthropathies
- Brain injury
- Congenital deformity
- Fracture of the femur (hip fracture)
- Knee or hip joint replacement that meets one of the following criteria:
- Bilateral joint replacement
- Body mass index of at least 50
- 85 years of age or older
- Major multiple trauma or Multiple fracture
- Neurological disorders (i.e. multiple sclerosis, motor neuron disease, polyneuropathy, muscular dystrophy, Parkinson’s disease)
- Severe or advanced osteoarthritis involving two or more weightbearing joints, having failed outpatient PT
- Spinal cord injury
- Systemic vasculidities with joint inflammation
- other fractures or joint replacements
- severe deconditioning, general debility
- prosthetics and orthotics
- chronic pain
- Among many other causes of functional impairment and disability
- The Division for Rehabilitation Medicine provides a specialized program with trained
multidisciplinary staff and specialized equipment designed to meet the needs of acute
We offer a Multidisciplinary team approach with a care team that consists of:
- Physiatrists (Rehab Physicians)
- Physical Therapists
- Occupational Therapists
- Recreational Therapists
- Speech Therapists
- Rehabilitation Nurses
- Social Workers
- Prosthetists/ Orthotists
- Other Physicians (i.e. Neurologists, Orthopedic Surgeons and Primary Care Doctors)
- Additionally, we provide Inpatient Consultation Services for the University Hospital Downstate for all other services including, but not limited to: Surgery, Orthopedics, Neurosurgery, Medicine, Neurology, Transplant, Pediatrics, MICU, CCU, CTICU, NICU, OBGYN.