Explore Public Health Careers
- Do you have questions about public health careers? Check out Explore Health Careers or New York State Department of Health (DOH) Career Website to learn more and have your questions answered.
- Are you interested in working for the federal government? Check out GoGovernment and learn about the top agencies and regions with employees in medical and public health.
- If you want to have a better understanding about diversity in health care professions, check out the Diversity Links and the Diversity Matters section at Explore Health Careers to get information on health and health care disparities.
- Don't forget to check out the various national and state resources to find out more about health career and education. Explore different student organizations to connect and network with your peers in other health care professions.
- In particular, if you are interested in working for the New York City Department of Health & Mental Hygiene (NYC DOHMH), there is a presentation that provides an overview of the application processes.
SPH LinkedIn Career Group
Keeping a LinkedIn profile can be useful way to stay in touch with your classmates at SPH and colleagues from work as you progress in your career.
The School of Publich Health has a LinkedIn group where we post job opportunities as we become aware of them. Please click here to join.
We also have a LinkedIn page where you can find updates about SPH events, research, and developments.
- American Public Health Association (APHA) Public Health CareerMart
- American Educational Research Association (AERA) - Education jobs (some are health relevant)
- American Statistical Association (ASA) - Statistics jobs
- Brookings Institute - Great for those seeking employment in health policy
- Career Builder
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- CUNY School of Public Health - Weekly job postings
- Doctors Without Borders - Jobs and internships in New York office and field projects
- Emory University Public Health Employment Connection
- EpiMonitor - Epidemiology jobs
- Fund for Public Health NYC - Grant funded positions
- HealthJob - Free job board that features all types of healthcare jobs, interviews with healthcare professionals, and articles
- National Association of County & City Health Officials (NACCHO)
- National Institutes of Health (NIH)
- NYC Department of Health and Mental Hygiene
- New York State Department of Health (DOH)
- OPM Pathways - Pathway programs for Federal jobs. Please search "OPM Pathways" in Google to find available pathway programs.
- Public Health Jobs - Managed by Association of Schools & Programs of Public Health (ASPPH)
- Public Health Solutions - Non-profit public health management organization; jobs and internships in NYC
- PublicServiceCareers.org - Public policy jobs
- Science Applications International Corporation (SAIC) - A large research institute
- The Chronicle of Higher Education - Job listings for academicians. Most positions require a Ph.D. or professional degree. (search term: public health)
- USAJOBS - The Federal Government's official employment website
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
- Vital Strategies - Non-profit public health management organization
- World Health Organization (WHO)
Note: For the general career websites, input search terms such as public health, health policy, epidemiology, or a specific type of position to generate best search results.
Don't forget to check out other potential employers, such as NGOs, hospitals, the government (local, state, and federal), public health departments, pharmaceutical industry, contract research organizations, biotechnology firms, nonprofit organizations, colleges and universities, research institutions and foundations, and labor unions.
Internship and Volunteer Opportunities
- American College of Healthcare Executives Diversity Internship
- American Publich Health Association (APHA) Internships
- American Red Cross
- Brookings Institute - Brookings Internship Program
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Short-term and full-time internships
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Minority Health Internships
- Center for Science in the Public Interest - Public Interest Internship Program
- Chegg Internships - (search term: public health)
- CUNY School of Public Health - Weekly internship postings
- Explore Health Careers - Consists of links to organizations that offer volunteer opportunities
- GlaxoSmithKline - Internships and co-op programs
- Global Service Corps
- Health Care Volunteer - A network for Global Health Care
- LifeSci NYC Internship Program
- MDRC - A Manhattan based research institute that focuses on poverty. It offers both internships and jobs.
- Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) Internship and Practicum Program
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) - Paid and unpaid internship programs
- USAJOBS - The Federal Government's official employment website (search term: health internship)
Fellowship and Training Opportunities
- American Heart Association (AHA)
- American Public Health Association (APHA)
- ASPPH Fellowships and Internships - Opportunities for current masters and doctoral level students and recent graduates
- Brookings Institute - David M. Rubenstein Fellowship Program
- CDC/Public Health Prevention Service
- CDC Public Health Training Fellowships
- CUNY School of Public Health - Weekly fellowship postings
- Fogarty Programs
- Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai (ISMMS) - Postdoc training
- Kaiser Family Foundation (KFF) - Rowland Fellowship
- National Center for Health Statistics (NCHS)/AcademyHealth Health Policy Fellowship Program
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NHLBI) - Training, fellowship, and career development opportunities
- Oak Ridge Institute for Science and Education (ORISE)
- United States Agency for International Development (USAID) - Fellowship and recent graduate programs
- Urban Institute - Fellowship for individuals with a doctoral or master’s degree with significant policy experience
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Epidemic Intelligence Service
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) - Jobs and opportunities around the world
- Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Global Affairs Volunteer Internship Program
- Global Health Career Network
- Kaiser Family Foundation - Global Health Policy
- National Institutes of Health - Fogarty International Center
- Overseas Jobs
- U.S. Department of State - Bureau of International Organization Affairs