Student Travel Grants
The student's research work and presentation must be supervised by a sponsor on the Downstate faculty, or a comparable biomedical institution.
The work must be accepted for a poster or platform presentation at the meeting, and abstracted in the journal or other proceeding of the sponsoring organization.
The reimbursement of up to $1,000 may go toward economical transportation, hotel accommodations for one night, food on the day of your presentation (up to $70), and conference registration fees, but not toward the cost of preparing the poster.
Students should address a cover letter to Dr. Richard Sadovsky and email it to firstname.lastname@example.org. The cover letter must include the student's name, name of meeting, date, location and name of the paper/abstract. The application must be submitted one month prior to attending the conference or within five business days of acceptance. Students receive their reimbursement after the conference and may be required to present at an appropriate meeting.
Funds are limited, and awarded competitively. Because thegrant is meant to help students present their own original research, it is generally allocated to only one student per presentation.
The request application should include:
- Cover letter noting statement of purpose for attending the meeting.
- Details of the meeting and sponsorship.
- Letter of support from a SUNY Downstate faculty member who actually mentored the project, or who is in an appropriate specialty to comment on the validity and potential impact of the research. A letter of support from a SUNY Downstate faculty member is essential even if the research was done outside of Downstate.
- Copy of abstract.
- Copy of the program page with the student's presentation highlighted.
- Itemized budget, including price quotes and copies of expenses.
- List of other support the student is seeking or has secured.
- Copy of the student's conference acceptance letter with the date of acceptance.
- Completed page one (1) of a W9 form and Travel Waiver Form (Available for pickup at the Alumni Association office).
The presentation must include an acknowledgment of the support of the Alumni Association – SUNY Downstate College of Medicine. A follow-up report of the meeting to the Alumni Association must include a copy of the program with the student's presentation highlighted. The Alumni Association would also appreciate a photo of the student presentation.
Students who receive Alumni Association funding for their research presentation are encouraged to present their work by poster at the annual SUNY Downstate Research Day. The presentations should note the funded presentation date and meeting, and acknowledgement of alumni support.