What We Do
I&P performs a number of functions that can be grouped chiefly into the 4 categories of Transactional, Intellectual Property Management, Business Development, and Service & Compliance.
- Negotiate and Manage Technology License Agreements
- Execute Material Transfer Agreements (MTA)
- Execute Confidentiality Agreements (CDA)
- Implement IP Provisions in Industry Research and Collaboration Agreements
Intellectual Property Management:
- Evaluate New SUNY Downstate Invention Disclosures
- File Patent Applications (using external patent professionals)
- Liaise between investigator inventors and patent attorneys during patent prosecution
- Manage instructions and correspondence with US and foreign patent offices.
- Establish Inter-institutional IP management and commercialization agreements.
- Market and promote SUNY Downstate Technologies to:
- Established Companies
- Emerging Companies
- Venture Capital Investors
- Seed Capital Investors
- Entrepreneurial Communities
- Identify diverse funding sources for startup companies based on Downstate technologies
- Solicit and scout new SUNY Downstate inventions
Service & Compliance:
- Assist investigators with intellectual property development and market analysis
- Assist investigators with corporate engagement and collaboration
- Manage the distribution of license revenues to inventors
- Manage licensee compliance with existing License Agreements
- Work with investigators on SUNY Technology Accelerator Fund and corporate RFPs
- Manage IP compliance with Federal and other granting agencies and research sponsors.