Welcome to the SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University Categorical Internal Medicine Residency site. We thank you for your interest in our program and hope to provide you with some insight into the unique experience that we offer.
To train the next generation of well-rounded clinicians educators with a solid foundation in all aspects of internal medicine while fostering a strong commitment to meeting the health needs of underserved communities.
Diverse Clinical Experience
- Location in Central Brooklyn with exposure to a diverse multinational and multicultural population leading to a local global health experience
- Commitment to responding to the healthcare needs of all patients across a range of socioeconomic backgrounds and including a largely underserved uninsured and Medicaid population at a safety-net hospital
- Educational experience spread across 4 institutions allowing for exposure to different types of healthcare systems (state, city, federal and private)
- Custom designed core curriculum derived from the ABIM Blueprint
- Complimentary curriculum encompassing the other core competencies of Internal Medicine in Practice-based learning and Improvement, interpersonal and communication skills, professionalism and system-based practice
Supportive Program Structure
- Tracks with emphasis on inpatient or ambulatory medicine to enhance career growth in any aspect of Internal medicine
- All Internal Medicine fellowships available internally
- Rich background in clinical and translational research
- University program which facilitates engagement and teaching from a wealth of leaders in medicine and access to expertise and courses in various health-related professions and public health
- Medical school on site which allows for development of residents-as-teachers
- Formal mentorship program