Psi Tau Chapter, Sigma Theta Tau Honor Society of Nursing
Dear Chapter Members,
It is my great pleasure to greet you as we enter a new season of a new year and continue our progress to emerge from the COVID-19 pandemic. Last year, despite unprecedented challenges to our healthcare delivery and education programs, nursing and its interprofessional academic and service colleagues were able to partner in creative ways to collaborate and strengthen efforts to accomplish shared goals and successfully meet the diverse needs of patients, students, and the communities we serve. Members of the Psi Tau Chapter have demonstrated their resilience and commitment to making a positive difference through promotion of innovative programs and resources to identify and address issues that impact quality, safety, diversity, equity, and inclusion, in healthcare, education, and professional practice.
We proudly acknowledge all those Chapter members who have made such accomplishments possible during the 2019-2021 Biennium, highlighting the following:
- Psi Tau Chapter was awarded the Sigma Showcase of Excellence Award, in recognition of its annual winter holidays’ book drive which generated a donation to the University Hospital of Brooklyn Pediatric unit in support of the Sigma Presidential Call To Action to “Infuse Joy.” This was of special relevance, in light of its positive impact during the challenging times of the COVID-19 pandemic.
- The 2019-2021 President of Sigma, Richard Ricciardi, provided the Keynote address during our Induction ceremony in April, 2021, which was held virtually for the first time. Dr. Ricciardi is an alumnus of the SUNY Downstate College of Nursing!
- Psi Tau Chapter was the recipient of its first Chapter Key Award! This wonderful achievement reflects the outstanding, numerous, and varied efforts and accomplishments of our members in leadership, scholarship, education, research, healthcare/service, and philanthropy, in clinical, academic, and community settings which impacted local, national, and global arenas. We are extremely proud and grateful to our dedicated, innovative, and energetic members for their commitment and generosity of time, talent, and treasures, to have made this achievement possible. Please continue all good works and keep us informed so we can begin anew to document all you do in support of applying for our future Key Awards!
- Psi Tau Chapter hosted the Sigma Founders’ Day Program in October, 2021, for the first time, in collaboration with the Chapters at Adelphi University, Molloy College, Farmingdale State College, and Stony Brook University. Continuing Professional Development (CPD) units have been awarded which can be obtained additionally by accessing the recording of the program, to broaden its benefit to all of the Chapters, which collaborate and rotate as hosts of this annual event.
- Psi Tau Chapter disseminated the “Asthma Trigger House ©” as a unique and innovative educational resource for area Chapters to utilize and further distribute to their respective members, affiliating nursing programs, and community. It was developed and shared through the efforts of Dr. Linda Cimino, Psi Tau Chapter Director of Communications, in collaboration with Stony Brook University colleagues and the American Lung Association. This highly-esteemed and creative resource is designed to positively impact the Culture of Health, patient outcomes, and maintain updated knowledge and skills for care providers, educators, and the community
- Psi Tau Chapter proudly congratulates Kimberly Velez, Board Member and Chapter Delegate, on her election to the Sigma Board as a member of the Leadership Succession Committee for 2021-2023 Biennium! This accomplishment adds to her extensive list of leadership and service affiliations, and we are so fortunate to have her serving on our Board and at the national level to enrich our scope of knowledge and opportunity for impact.
- Shirley Girouard, Psi Tau Chapter Director of Research, will be showcased in this Newsletter, for her most outstanding career efforts and accomplishments.
Please know that as a member of the Psi Tau Chapter, any and all of your activities should be submitted to the Chapter to be included in its Annual Report to Sigma and other correspondence as appropriate. Your information will be supportive documentation of the impact you are having as a member, contributing to achieving the Vision of the honor society, which is “Connected, empowered nurse leaders transforming global healthcare,” and its Mission, which is “Developing nurse leaders anywhere to improve healthcare everywhere." Sigma celebrates its 100th Anniversary this year, and Psi Tau Chapter marks its 5th year as a Chapter. We will be determining how we will participate in these awesome events in the Fall and launch an exciting future.
On Monday, April 25th, from 3PM-5PM, we will be holding a virtual Induction ceremony, inducting new Chapter members and welcoming those who are joining us as Dual or Transfer members. We are privileged to have the current Sigma President, Dr. Kenneth Dion, deliver the Keynote presentation, and discuss the Organizational Call to Action, to “BE BOLD”. We look forward to the opportunity to engage these newest members in current and yet-to-be-identified activities and initiatives to support leadership, scholarship, research, and practice arenas. We remain challenged, as are other Chapters, to strengthen our efforts to retain our current members, and encourage those needing to renew their membership to do so. Chapter representatives will be reaching out in the near future to prepare a slate of candidates for Board member elections, as well as to promote and solicit involvement in a variety of Committees and initiatives to join/support. Please consider the benefits of your membership and how you can uniquely contribute your time and talents to make Psi Tau Chapter continue to grow, prosper, and best achieve our shared vision and mission.
BE BOLD! Enjoy the renewal of this Spring season!
Kathleen Bratby, EdD, RN
President, Psi Tau Chapter
Sigma Theta Tau International Honor Society of Nursing
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University College of Nursing