Your DownstateCard will be used as your ID badge for entrance to facilities, to use the Library and Debit Card features. Please be aware of the following policies that govern the use of the DownstateCard.
A. Misuse or Abuse of the DownstateCard (such as lending your card to someone else)
- 1st Offense: Both the cardholder and the cardholder's supervisor will be notified of the infraction. The cardholder will be advised to use the card for official purposes only, and within the parameters established by the DownstateCard Office. The DownstateCard Office will also advise the Faculty Student Association Office for any associated impact on the cardholder’s Campus debit card account.
- 2nd Offense: Both the cardholder and the cardholder's supervisor will be notified and the DownstateCard Office will also advise the Faculty Student Association Office for any associated impact on the cardholder’s Campus debit card account.
B. Fraudulent Use of the DownstateCard
- Fraudulent Use means use of the DownstateCard by the card-holder or anyone else deliberately to gain a wrongful advantage. The following actions will be taken:
- Immediate suspension of card privileges and the DownstateCard Office will also advise
the Faculty Student Association Office for any associated impact on the cardholder’s Campus debit card account. University
police and the cardholder's supervisor will be notified and the DownstateCard office
aformal disciplinary action.
C. Lost/Stolen Cards
- Any lost or stolen DownstateCards must be reported immediately to DownstateCard Office. Cardholder should be prepared to give his/her name exactly as it appears on the card and a brief explanation surrounding the loss. Failure to comply with this notification process may result in the cardholder becoming personally liable for the fraudulent use of the card.
- DownstateCard Office will take immediate action to cancel the card reported lost or stolen. Upon request the DownstateCard Office will issue a replacement card after payment of a $20.00 NON-REFUNDABLE fee. The DownstateCard is not responsible for illegal use of lost or stolen cards.
The fee will be waved if:
- A Temporary or Limited Access card holder opens a DownstateCard Debit Account and agree to deposit a minimum of $20.
- Card chip or magnetic stripe malfunctions (provided it has not been damaged or misused by the cardholder).
- Refunds in the DownstateCard Debit Card are handled by The Faculty Student Association Debit Card Office
E. Return of a DownstateCard upon Separation
- The DownstateCard is a property of the Downstate Medical Center. Upon the cardholder's retirement, termination, graduation or seperation for any other reason, the student/employee or the department head will send the card to the DownstateCard office at Box 12 or hand deliver it to the DownstateCard office at the 825 New York Ave Residence Hall Building, Room 105 (enter through 811 NYA).
- For State and RF Paid Employees: Both the State and Research Foundation payroll offices require a form letter stating that the separated employee's ID card has been collected before they will issue an employee's final paycheck. If an individual's DownstateCard is not received by the DownstateCard office at Box 12, the card holder will be subject to the card replacement fee before a letter will be issued to the applicable payroll office, or before any new DownstateCard will be issued to the same individual, even if the individual's status has changed in any way. If a supervisor collects a DownstateCard and the card is not received by the DownstateCard office, the supervisor or their department must fund the card replacement fee for the card holder. Any such "missing" card becomes a security concern to everyone at Downstate Medical Center.
- Please call the DownstateCard Office at 718-270-4600 if you have any questions, suggestions or concerns. To visit, the DownstateCard Office located at the 825New York Ave Residence Hall Room 105 (enter through 811 NYA) or via email to firstname.lastname@example.org.