March 2023 Announcements
By Office of Communications & Marketing | Mar 1, 2023
The Passing of Mr. Israel (Izzy) Chait
It is with heavy hearts that we share the sad news of the sudden passing of our dear colleague, Izzy Chait, on Saturday, March 25, 2023. Izzy worked in Information Services for over 28 years. He was known for his dedication, friendliness, and utmost respect for others.
With his extensive knowledge of the mainframe, expertise in working with interfaces, and leadership in building the Forms on Demand repository, Izzy was an invaluable member of our team, and his contributions to our organization will not be forgotten. His professionalism, sense of humor, and positive attitude towards his work were admired by all who had the privilege of working with him.
Izzy's sudden departure has left us all shocked and deeply saddened. Our thoughts and prayers go out to his wife, two daughters and son during this difficult time. We offer our heartfelt condolences to his family and loved ones, and we share their grief at this moment of profound loss.
We will all miss Izzy's warm personality, his exceptional work ethic, and his unwavering commitment to our organization. We will cherish the memories we have of him and will honor his legacy by continuing to uphold the standards he set for excellence in our work.
Please join us in honoring the memory of our dear colleague, Izzy Chait. Contributions to the family can be made to the Chait family account set up by Josh Kellerman via Josh’s Venmo to brenda-kellerman or Zelle to JoshuaKellerman@aol.com . Please put in the note: “Chait DMC”.
The family will be sitting Shiva this week at Izzy’s home:
10:00 AM – 9:30 PM
561 Buchanan Avenue
Staten Island, NY 10314
Preparations begins for the Cafeteria Expansion Project
As we begin the preparatory stages for the Downstate Cafeteria Expansion project, we ask for your cooperation and patience as the project gets underway.
Beginning today, Monday, March 13, FM&D anticipates beginning the first stage—constructing a temporary wall in the Cafeteria seating area. The work is scheduled to begin at 6:00 PM. Construction of this wall is anticipated to last between four to six weeks.
Temporary seating will still be available in the cafeteria; however, construction operations will limit seating capacity. The specific dining area will be marked off accordingly.
Once completed, we anticipate the constructed wall will remain in place for approximately one year as we move forward with other phases of the Cafeteria Expansion Project.
Please also remember that we are still mindful of COVID transmission and how we operate based on CDC and Department of Health guidelines. In the event of increased transmission rates, as per regulatory guidelines, Downstate reserves the right to adhere to any such changes to ensure a safe environment for our students, faculty, staff, and visitors.
We hope to move this project forward with minimal disruption to our daily operations. We appreciate your continued patience and cooperation and will provide frequent updates to each phase.
Bus Stop Closure on Clarkson Avenue
Due to construction, the Bus Stop on the corner of Clarkson Avenue and 37th Street will be closed beginning Wednesday, March 1st to Friday, March 17th between the hours of 10 am to 4 pm. During these times, please use either the Bus Stops located on E. 38th Street and Clarkson Avenue or on New York Avenue and Clarkson Avenue.
As always, we appreciate your patience and cooperation, and we will strive to make this project move forward minimizing the impact to the Downstate Community.
Should you have any questions or concerns please do not hesitate to reach out to Bob Latuga at 718-613-8690 or Email: Robert.Latuga@downstate.edu.
REVISED DOWNSTATE MASKING POLICY
SUNY Downstate has relaxed the indoor mask mandate for non-hospital employees and students in non-clinical areas.
Effective immediately, non-hospital employees and students in non-clinical areas are not required to wear masks indoors.
However, indoor mask-wearing remains mandatory for hospital employees and students participating in clinical activities at Downstate and affiliated healthcare facilities, which includes the University Hospital Cafeteria serving and seating areas, unless you are actively engaged in eating or drinking.
Relaxation of the masking requirement reflects the coronavirus pandemic's current state and the encouraging data that transmission rates of respiratory illnesses have diminished.
Please also note that the surveillance Saliva Testing Program is no longer offered or required for employees and students.
Downstate has obtained an ample supply of take-at-home tests from New York State, free of charge, and will remain available. Employees and students can obtain the home testing kits using their Downstate ID.
The tests are available either on the first and third Tuesdays of the month between 11:00 AM and 2:00 PM in the Public Health Academic Building (PHAB) Hall B (450 Clarkson Avenue) or during their regular hours of operation in either the Student or Employee Health Service at 440 Lenox Road, across from the University Hospital Entrance. When the home testing kit is picked up, instructions on administering and recognizing positive results will be provided.
Employees and students who have obtained an exemption from the mandatory SUNY vaccination requirement must continue to submit to weekly PCR testing, which will now be done at Employee or Student Health Services during their regular business hours. (Note: If you are symptomatic or have been exposed to COVID-19, you should obtain a PCR test either through a local testing agency or Employee or student Health Services.)
Vaccination and Booster Shots: Employees and students are encouraged to get boosted with the COVID-19 bivalent booster. Additionally, all employees and students must still comply with the NYS DOH or SUNY-mandated minimum vaccination status.
If you have COVID-19 symptoms or if you receive a positive COVID test:
Report any positive result to Employee/Student Health and the Downstate COVID-19 Testing and Contact Tracing Corps by email at email@example.com. Please include your name, department or school, and the best phone number to reach you. You should also isolate and notify close contacts that you have tested positive.
All visitors to the University Hospital at Downstate or affiliated clinical facilities who are two years of age and older and can medically tolerate masks must wear a mask.
We thank you for your continued vigilance and shared responsibility in keeping our campus safe.
SUNY Pilot Telecommuting Policy Extended through June 30, 2023
As a reminder, SUNY has extended the Pilot Telecommuting Policy until June 30, 2023.
If you are an employee whose title has been identified as eligible to telecommute, please be advised that the SUNY Telecommuting Policy set to expire for UUP, CSEA, NYSCOPBA, and PBANYS on December 31, 2022, has been extended to June 30, 2023. Therefore, if you have an approved application, no further action is required on your part.
If you have not submitted your telecommuting application and would like to participate, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
NYS/CSEA Partnership Online Courses
Please be advised that the NYS/CSEA Partnership is offering the following online courses for CSEA-represented staff:
- Adult Education Basics – Reading (Application Deadline 3/28/23)
- This six-week course will help participants read and understand written materials.
- Requires a three-hour commitment on Tuesdays & Thursdays from 9:30AM – 12:30AM from 4/11/23 – 5/18/23. As such, participation must be approved by supervisors, subject to operational needs.
- Certificate Programs (Apply between 2/9/23 – 2/8/24. Courses must be completed by 2/9/24)
- A certificate can prepare CSEA-represented NYS employees to advance their careers or gain extra knowledge to stay competitive in their current positions. Supervisory approval is not required for courses taken outside the employee’s normal workday. Should the course fall within the employee’s workday, participation must be approved by supervisors, subject to operational needs.
- Customer Service – Gain useful tips and strategies for working effectively with customers.
- Microsoft Word 2016 Basics – Build skills in this popular computer application.
- Successful Business Writing – Get a better understanding of grammar and the writing process to produce well-written documents.
- The Organized Office Worker – Learn practical ways to take control of your schedule to organize and manage work more effectively.
Please post the attached information on your bulletin boards and share with your CSEA Staff.
Completed applications should be sent directly to the NYS/CSEA Partnership at 518-473-0056 (fax) or email@example.com (email).
Corebridge Financial (Formerly AIG) Updated Appointment
February 14 - March 29, 2023
7:45 AM - 2:30 PM
Now is a great time to meet and discuss your financial future and ensure you’re on
the path to the retirement you want.
When we meet, we can discuss:
- The benefits of enrolling in your workplace retirement plan
- How to boost your overall financial wellness
- The resources available to help shape the future you want
- Your broader financial goals so we can put a plan in place to help you get there
We can meet in person at any time that is convenient to you.
Schedule time to meet with me today!
We are available.
- Tuesday, February 14th
- Tuesday, February 28th
- Wednesday, March 8th
- Wednesday, March 29th
Time: 7:45 AM to 2:30 PM
(45 minute appointments available)
Downstate Health Sciences University
Downstate Library – 1st Floor Lenox Entrance
HSEB – Health Science Education Building
Schedule a time that works best for you.
We see the future in you.
Questions? Here's who to call:
Richard Grofsick, CFP®
15 British American Blvd.
Latham, NY 12110
Michael L. Grofsick
Financial Planning Advisor
15 British American Blvd.
Latham NY 12110
THE Downstate Assembly of Faculty and Professional Staff Announces A Special Bylaws Vote
March 2nd - March 16th
Dear members of the SUNY Downstate Faculty and Professional Staff,
THE VOTING PERIOD TO APPROVE THE NEW BYLAWS IS THURSDAY, MARCH 2, 2023 - THURSDAY, MARCH 16, 2023.
Please check your EMail for your "VoteNow" ballot and Vote Now if you have not already done so.
The Downstate Assembly of Faculty and Professional Staff, also known as the Centerwide Assembly of Faculty and Professional Staff, is the governing body for the SUNY Downstate faculty and professional staff and includes all five schools and colleges of SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University.
The new bylaws language was approved by the Bylaws Committee and the Executive Committee of the Downstate Assembly of Faculty and Professional Staff and was discussed during the Special Assemblies held November 15, 2022 and February 16, 2023. In accordance with our current bylaws (dated 1973), we are conducting this vote to ratify the new bylaws. A 2/3 majority of those voting is required to approve the new bylaws.
The current (1973) Bylaws document and the Proposed Bylaws document dated January 2023 (with commentary) are attached to this email so that you can review and compare them.
If you have questions about the proposed bylaws document, please contact Katherine Perkins, the chair of the Bylaws Committee, at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have questions about the vote, please contact email@example.com. Thank you.
Christopher Román, Ph. D. (he/his/him)
SUNY Downstate Assembly of Faculty and Professional Staff
The 5th Annual Dale Blackstock, MD Award Ceremony
Friday, March 10th
11:00 AM - 12:00 PM
The School of Health Professions Presents their 3rd Annual Career & Networking Event
Tuesday, March 21, 2023
6:00 PM - 8:00 PM
Third Annual SOHP Dean’s Lecture Series: “Using Data-driven Decision Making to Improve a Clinical Practice or Program”
Wednesday March 22, 2023
Resilience and Burnout in Nursing
March 23rd, 2023
12:30 - 1:30 PM
March 23rd, 2023
2:00 - 4:30 PM
Breaking Barriers to Transplantation: from Listing to Follow-up
Thuesday April 27, 2023
8:30 AM - 3:30 PM
Holidays / Observances
Hospital Employee Observances
- 3/2: National Hospitalist Day
- 3/3: National Employee Appreciation Day
- 3/8: Registered Dietitian Nutrition Day
- 3/17: National - Residency Match Day
- 3/19: Certified Nurses Day
- 3/21: World Social Work Day
- 3/30: National Doctors Day
- 3/31: Anesthesia Tech Day
Health Awareness Observances
- 3/1: Baby Sleep Day
- 3/1: Self-Injury Awareness Day
- 3/2: World Teen Mental Health Day
- 3/3: World Birth Defects Day
- 3/4: Brain Injury Awareness Day
- 3/9: World Kidney Day
- 3/10: National Women and Girls HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- 3/17: World Sleep Day
- 3/20: National Native American HIV/AIDS Awareness Day
- 3/20: World Oral Health Day
- 3/21: World Down Syndrome Day
- 3/24: World Tuberculosis Day
- 3/25: National Cerebral Palsy Day
- 3/26: Epilepsy Awareness-Purple Day
- 3/28: American Diabetes Alert Day (American Diabetes Assoc.)
Cultural/Religious/ Miscellaneous Observances
- 3/8: International Women’s Day
- 3/6-7: Purim (Jewish; sundown to sundown)
- 3/8: Holi (Hindu; Festival of Colors; sundown to sundown)
- 3/17: St. Patrick’s Day
- 3/20: Spring Equinox
- 3/20: Nowruz (Persian New Year)
- 3/31: International Transgender Day of Visibility
Hospital Employee Observances
- 3/12-18: Patient Safety Awareness Week
- 3/13-17: Healthcare HR Professionals Week
- 3/20-25: National Pediatric Nurse Practitioner Week
- 3/25-31: National Physicians Week
3/1-6: National Aplastic Anemia & MDS Awareness Week
3/4-10: Endometriosis Awareness Week
3/5-11: World Glaucoma Week/Save Your Vision Week
3/12-18: National Pulmonary Rehabilitation Week
3/12-18: National Sleep Awareness Week
3/12-18: Pulmonary Rehabilitation Week
3/12-18: Sleep Awareness Week
3/12-19: MS Awareness Week3/13-19: Brain Awareness Week
3/19-25: National Inhalants and Poison Prevention Week
3/20-26: National Drug and Alcohol Facts Week
3/27-4/2: World Autism Acceptance Week
Cultural/Religious/ Miscellaneous Observances
- 3/22-4/21: Ramadan (Muslim; sundown to sundown)
National Cultural Months
- National Women’s History Month
- National Irish-American Heritage Month
Hospital Employee Observances
- Child Life Month (Association of Child Life Professionals)
- National Professional Social Workers Month
American Red Cross Month
Bisexual Health Awareness Month
- Brain Injury Awareness Month
- Colic Awareness Month
- Deep-Vein Thrombosis Awareness Month
- Hemophilia Awareness Month
- Malignant Hyperthermia and Training Awareness Month
- Myeloma Action Month
- National Bleeding Disorders Awareness Month
- National Breast Implant Awareness Month
- National Cerebral Palsy Awareness Month
- National Colorectal Cancer Awareness Month
- National Chronic Fatigue Syndrome Awareness Month
- National Developmental Disabilities Month
- National Endometriosis Awareness Month
- National Essential Tremor Awareness Month
- National Eye Donor Month
- National Kidney Month
- National Multiple Sclerosis Education and Awareness Month
- National Nutrition Month
- National Poison Prevention Awareness Month
- Traumatic Brain Injury Awareness Month
- Save Your Vision Month
- Trisomy Awareness Month
- Vascular Anomalies Awareness Month
- Workplace Eye Health and Safety Awareness Month
Check back for regular updates to this page!
* New information highlighted in yellow *