About the Office of Student Admissions
SUNY Downstate's College of Medicine, Nursing, School of Health Professions and School of Public Health offer students a broad professional education that will prepare them for practice or careers in any location and community. This education provides exceptional opportunities for those students with a commitment to promoting health in urban communities and addressing the complex challenges of investigating and preventing diseases that confront clinicians, educators, and researchers in such an environment. This special aspect of Downstate's unique mission is reflected in the students it attracts and selects, the vast majority of whom are drawn from the New York City Metropolitan area. Many of these students are members of minority and cultural groups underrepresented in the health professions, and/or come from families of first-generation immigrants or from economically disadvantaged backgrounds.
The differences in the background and outlook that students bring with them can enhance the quality of the educational experience of all students at SUNY Downstate. The belief that diversity adds an essential ingredient to the educational process is one of the tenets of SUNY Downstate. Many factors, such as race, ethnic or cultural background, academic achievement, geographic location, diversity of experiences, leadership roles, and socioeconomic background, are taken into consideration in the admissions process. A diverse health care work force will be better equipped to provide culturally competent care to an increasingly diverse population.
The Office of Student Admissions, in accordance with a “student first” approach, seeks to attract and enroll a diverse student population which strives to provide competent, respectable, and efficient professional service to a diverse community. Through the combination of a sense of pride and purpose, we uphold the integrity of the admissions process and ensure the efficient and effective evaluation of the credentials of prospective students.
- Promote professional best practices to increase the quality of the applicant pool in an urban environment by maintaining a creative, energetic student focus environment.
- Provide the highest level of service and professionalism to applicants, ensuring that all questions and concerns are addressed promptly and thoroughly.
- Demonstrate consistency and fairness in the application review process, while recognizing the uniqueness of each students educational/life experiences.
- Evaluate data, process and procedures to ensure that information and services are available in a timely accurate fashion.
- Educate prospective students on the program’s prerequisites, requirements, application and admissions process.
- Communicate and interact with all departments, committees, offices and individuals that influence student recruitment and retention.
Attract, recruit, admit and enroll a diverse student population
Treat applicants with honesty and transparency
Enhance the operational effectiveness of the Office of Student Admissions
Advise prospective applicants to strive for academic excellence
Motivate and maximize the effectiveness of program recruitment