Before You Apply
Read the Instructions
Download and read the appropriate Application Instructions prior to completing an online application:
Check the Deadline
Check the Application Deadline for your program of interest.
Prepare Your Documentation
You will be required to upload documents related to your application. The following is a preview of the documents you will be asked to assemble electronically and upload as directed from within the application:
- Resume or C.V.: Depending on your program of choice, you may be required to submit a Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Transcripts: All applicants must upload unofficial academic transcripts from all USA colleges
or universities attended.
- If you are currently enrolled in a college or taking prerequisite courses, upload a photocopy of your current semester grade report.
- If you were educated overseas, a course-by-course evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member is required to be submitted. World Education Services is one agency located in New York City.
- Test Scores: For programs that require a standardized test for admissions consideration, you must
upload a copy of your unofficial score report. If you have not yet taken the required
standardized test, you must indicate the date you intend to take the test.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)/International English Language Testing
If English is a second language and you have not completed at least one year of full-time study in a regionally accredited college or university in the United States (one year full-time study is considered to be at least 24 semester credits, including two courses in English composition), you must upload a copy of your test results.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL)/International English Language Testing System (IELTS):
- Supplemental Documents: Depending on your program choice, you may be required to submit the following:
- Application Questions/Personal Statement: We strongly advise that you begin to draft your responses in a word document prior
to completing the online supplemental application.
- Personal Statement: The personal statement should explain your interest in pursuing a Masters in Public Health degree and what you hope to achieve with this degree.
- Essay: Choose and describe a public health issue/problem in which you have an interest and present at least one possible approach to addressing that issue/problem. In your essay please carefully describe the issue or situation, using and citing current references, to substantiate your arguments. Then present your thoughts on how you might go about addressing some aspect of it. Please note that you can present a solution wherein you might work as an individual, or with other people or organizations. The essay should be clearly written and carefully checked for grammar and spelling.
- Letter of Recommendations:
- SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University has moved toward exclusive use of electronic recommendation submissions. Applicants must submit at least one letter of recommendation for the ACPH program, at least two letters of recommendation for the MPH program, and at least three letters for the DrPH program. Please refer to your program of choice application instructions for additional information.
- To complete the recommendation online, you must provide all of the pertinent information for the recommender, including their name, title and a valid email address.
- Once you have provided the name of the recommender, an email will be sent to him/her with instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation.
- You may be required to review, and upload a signed copy of the Technical Standards for Admission depending on your program of choice.
- Application Questions/Personal Statement: We strongly advise that you begin to draft your responses in a word document prior to completing the online supplemental application.
Complete all sections of your application
Please note that your application will not be received by the Office of Student Admissions until all sections have been completed. Please review all sections of your application to ensure it has been completed to the best of your ability. You may email the office if you are having difficulty completing your application.
Check Your Status
Upon submitting your application, you can log back into continue checking on your Applicant Status Page, and upload additional documents in the Document Upload section.
A separate application must be filed under each program for which you are seeking consideration with completely separate documents and separate recommendations.