SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Office of Development & Philanthropy
Pediatric Asthma Center of Excellence
In April, 1996, SUNY Downstate Medical Center created a comprehensive asthma clinic where patients, their families and the community can be evaluated, instructed in medication and management as well as become better educated about asthma triggers. Asthma is marked by recurrent attacks of wheezing, coughing, and/or shortness of breath.
The Pediatric Asthma Center of Excellence has long been at the forefront of asthma care and is committed to providing comprehensive care to patients of all ages, races, religious beliefs, socio-economic and educational levels.
Our multi-disciplinary health care team goals are:
- To reduce and prevent asthma symptoms, acute asthma attacks that require emergency room visits and hospitalizations.
- To provide patient and parent education.
- To provide additional access to care with our mobile asthma van.
- To provide professional and community education.
- To return stabilized patients to primary care management.
- To provide 24-hour a day emergency access to asthma management and treatment.
At the Pediatric Asthma Center of Excellence we help you to breathe and live normal lives.