Before You Apply
Read the Instructions
Download and read the Application Instructions prior to completing an on-line Application.
Check the Deadline
Check the Application Deadline for your program of interest.
Prepare Your Documentation
You will be required to upload documents related to your application. The following is a preview of the documents you will be asked to assemble electronically and upload as directed from within the application:
- Resume or C.V.: Depending on your program of choice, you may be required to submit a Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Documentation of a minimum of 500 clinical hours. This documentation must be completed by your supervisor on institution/organization departmental letterhead. The documentation must be dated and signed (an actual signature is required).
- Documentation of a minimum of 250 non-clinical hours. This documentation must be completed by your supervisor on institution/organization departmental letterhead. The documentation must be dated and signed (an actual signature is required).
- Transcripts: All applicants must upload unofficial academic transcripts for all USA colleges or
- If you are currently enrolled in a college or taking prerequisite courses, upload a photocopy of your current semester grade report.
- If you were educated overseas, an official course-by-course evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member agency. World Education Services is one agency in New York City.
- Test Scores: For programs which require a standardized test for admissions consideration, you
must upload a copy of your unofficial score report. If you have not yet taken the
required standardized test, you must indicate the date you intend to take the test.
- If English is a second language and you have not completed at least one year of full-time study in a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, and at least 24 semester credits, including two courses in English composition, you must upload a copy of your test results (TOEFL/IELTS). Test scores cannot be older than 2 years.
- Supplemental Documents: Depending on your program choice, you may be required to submit the following:
- Application Questions/Personal Statement: We strongly advise that you begin to draft your responses in a word document prior
to completing the online supplemental application.
- Personal Statement:
Please articulate why you have chosen to pursue the Physician Assistant profession. Also explain why you believe that the Physician Assistant program at the SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is a good match for you to achieve you Physician Assitant educational goals. (500 –750 words)
- Describe your patient care/contact experience and discuss its relevance to your goal of becoming a Physician Assistant. Please be specific.
- Academic, clinical and professional responsibilities are extremely demanding on the Physician Assistant student’s time, providing minimal vacation periods and time off, in all phases of the program. The PA program does not adjust the sequencing of its curriculum for the sake of an individual student. Understanding the impact that this may have on you and your family, please describe your plan to meet all time and attendance requirements, if offered admission.
- The program requires long hours of dedicated study, independent and group work in order to be successful. Describe your past experiences with this type of rigorous requirements. Please be specific
- Because of the heavy academic load, students are strongly discouraged from holding any jobs. Please describe how you will support yourself and meet any other family or financial obligations over the course of enrollment, if accepted.
- While the SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University is accessible by public transportation, parking in the area is limited. Please describe your plan to ensure reliable and timely attendance to your classes and clerkships, if offered admission.
- If you have ever attended a Physician Assistant program or any other medical program, please indicate the program name, dates of attendance and describe the circumstances of your departure from the program, especially, if you did not graduate.
- Personal Statement:
- Letter of Recommendations:
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University has moved toward exclusive use of electronic recommendation submissions. Applicants must submit three letters of recommendation for the PA program. One of these letters must come from a clinician (Physician Assistant, MD, Nurse Practitioner). Please refer to your program of choice application instructions for additional information.
- Please note: If you are a re-applicant within one (1) year of your previous application to the PA program, you must submit two (2) new letters of recommendation
- To complete the recommendation online, you must provide the recommender's name, title and a valid email address.
- Once you have provided the name of the recommender, an email will be sent to him/her with an access code and instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation.
You may be required to review, and upload a signed copy of the Technical Standards for Admission for your program of choice.
- Application Questions/Personal Statement: We strongly advise that you begin to draft your responses in a word document prior to completing the online supplemental application.
Pay Your Application Fee
The application fee of ($75.00) must be paid prior to submitting the online application
Check Your Status
Upon submitting your application, you can log back into your application to continue checking your application status page. Uploaded documents will not be marked as received until 24 hours after submission.
A separate application must be filed under each program for which you are seeking consideration with completely separate documents and separate recommendations.