Advanced Certificate Program: Nursing Education
The advanced certificate in nursing education is a hybrid, 12-credit program designed to prepare Registered Nurses with masters or doctoral degrees for educational roles in community organizations and academic settings. The program provides specialized nursing education knowledge and skills in the theoretical and scientific foundations of teaching and learning; the design of evidenced-based curricula; assessment and evaluation; and, inter-professional education and technology. Students will have the opportunity to participate in planned practice experiences in both academic and clinical settings. Students will be prepared to become leaders and change agents within nursing education and practice.
NOTE: Students currently enrolled in Downstate's graduate nursing programs may apply as non-matriculating students. You do not need to complete the citizenship, educational, history and employment history sections.
Upon completion of the certificate, the student will be able to:
- Analyze the theoretical and scientific knowledge bases of teaching & learning
- Compare and contrast various nurse educator roles in academia, healthcare organizations, and the community
- Create innovative proposals for educational programs using theoretical and scientific knowledge
- Design teaching and learning activities appropriate to diverse groups and settings
- Use a variety of teaching methods and technology aligned with intended learning outcomes, teacher and student characteristics, and the educational and healthcare environments
- Apply the evaluation components of a complex, comprehensive program
- Implement a strategic quality improvement process for a nursing education program
- Master of Science or doctoral degree from an accredited nursing program
- Evidence of successful completion of graduate level pathophysiology, pharmacology and physical assessment (3'Ps)
- Two letters of recommendation
- A current unencumbered New York State R.N. license
- A cumulative master’s Level Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale
- One year of clinical experience preferred
Candidates may be called for an interview.