How to Apply: 2023–2024 Application Procedures & Deadlines
A complete application consists of:
- American Medical College Application Service (AMCAS) Application
- Supplemental Application also known as the "secondary" application. Once we receive your verified AMCAS application, you will be sent an email invitation to complete the Supplemental Application (secondary). All applicants must complete and submit the secondary application before their AMCAS application can be reviewed.
- Supplemental Application Processing Fee of $100 (nonrefundable) or an AMCAS fee waiver. The processing fee (only credit cards are acceptable for payment) or AMCAS fee waiver are submitted with the SUNY Downstate Supplemental Application (secondary).
- Medical College Admission Test (MCAT) scores as required
- Letter of recommendation from premedical advisor or committee (we only accept letters sent via the AMCAS letter service, Virtual Evals, or Interfolio). If you are submitting an AMCAS Committee Letter or a Letter Packet, we accept all the letters included in the packet. Please make sure that at least one of the letters is from a science professor who has taught you in a biology, chemistry or physics course. If you are submitting individual letters, please submit no more than two letters (one must be from a science professor). Read the requirements for letters of recommendation very carefully as your letter might not be accepted if it does not meet our guidelines.
Additional information can be obtained by reviewing the Applicant Admissions Information Booklet
Note: The deadline for having a complete application on file in the Office of Admissions for admissions consideration to the Fall 2024 entering class is 12 noon on January 3, 2024. Incomplete applications will not be reviewed after this date.
Completion of your Application
It is the applicant's responsibility to ensure that a complete application is on file. A complete application consist of:
- A verified AMCAS application, MCATs, secondary application, application fee and letters of recommendations.
- Supplemental Application (secondary): once we receive your AMCAS application, you will receive an email granting you access to the Supplemental.
- You may monitor the status of your application via your admissions portal. Addional items requested on behalf of the Admissions Committee will be indicated in your Application Checklist in your Admissions portal
Note: We will make every effort to keep you informed about the completion of your application by email (make certain we have a current email address for you at all times and adjust your spam filter to receive our emails).
If you no longer wish to have an active application with us, you should withdraw your application using the Withdraw section in your Admissions Portal. This will avoid further processing or emails, and to benefit other applicants.
DO NOT submit materials beyond what is listed above.
Does Downstate have rolling admissions?
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University encourages applicants to have a completed application on file before October 1st for maximum benefit.
- See the complete list of deadlines for the 2024 cycle
- See below for a complete list of deadlines for the 2023 cycle.
We have a modified rolling admissions process. Acceptance notifications (except for early decision) will be sent starting early February, 2023 and continue until the class is filled. An alternate list will be established in early April, 2023. Acceptances from the alternate list are sent in April and throughout the summer.
See our entry in the on-line Medical School Admissions Requirements Handbook (MSAR) available from the Association of American Medical Colleges (AAMC).
Timeline and Deadlines
|June 1, 2022||Earliest date to complete an AMCAS application.|
|August 1, 2022||Latest date for Early Decision applicants to file an AMCAS application.|
|August 14, 2022||Latest date for Early Decision applicants to have a completed application on file.|
|December 1, 2022||Latest date for applicants to have a completed AMCAS application on file at AMCAS.|
|December 1, 2022||M.D./Ph.D Latest Date to complete application with the School of Graduate Studies and the College of Medicine.|
|January 4, 2022 (noon)||Latest date to have a completed application on file in the Office of Student Admissions.|
|Mid February, 2023||Acceptance letters are issued. Applicants have 14 calendar days to return the reply form. Accepted applicants who do not return the reply form by the deadline will be withdrawn from SUNY Downstate.|
|February 19, 2023 - April 30, 2023||Earliest date for accepted applicants to select "Plan to Enroll". Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
|March 30, 2023||Earliest date for M.D./Ph.D accepted applicants to select "Plan to Enroll"|
|Mid April, 2023||Alternate list invitations are issued; alternates have 5 business days to respond to the alternate list offer or their alternate list offer will be withdrawn. Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
|April 15, 2023||Per AMCAS traffic rules accepted applicants can hold no more than 3 acceptances. Applicants accepted to SUNY Downstate are sent deposit information.|
|April 30, 2023||Accepted applicants who have not submitted their admissions deposit by 11:59 pm and who have also chosen either "Plan to Enroll" or "Commit to Enroll" will have their acceptances withdrawn. Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
|April 30, 2023||Latest date for accepted applicants to withdraw to qualify for the $100 acceptance deposit refund.|
|May 1, 2023 –
August 3, 2023
|Accepted applicants and alternates who are listed by AMCAS as "Commit to enroll with another school" will have their acceptance offer or alternate list offer withdrawn by SUNY Downstate. Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
|May 1, 2023||Latest Date to have a completed MPH application on file with the MPH Program for the June class.|
|May 1, 2023||Latest date to request a deferred acceptance.|
|May 1, 2023||Accepted applicants will have 5 business days to deposit and choose "Plan to Enroll". Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
|July 8, 2023||Accepted applicants will have 2 business days to deposit and choose "Plan to Enroll" or "Commit to Enroll", Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
|July 15, 2023||Deadline for SUNY Downstate accepted applicants to deposit and select "Commit to Enroll." Accepted applicants who have not selected "Commit to Enroll" by this date will have their acceptance withdrawn. Refer to date posted in your decision letter and reply form.|
Communicating With SUNY Downstate, College of Medicine
The preferred method of communication is by email. Our email address is firstname.lastname@example.org Any requested documents should be scanned and uploaded via the Admissions Portal using the Document Upload feature in the blue left menue bar.
The USA postal mailing address for the Admissions Office is:SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
College of Medicine
Office of Student Admissions
450 Clarkson Avenue, MSC 60
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Note: All paper mail is delivered to SUNY Downstate’s central mailroom and then sorted for delivery to individual offices. This includes overnight mail deliveries. Your overnight or express mail is delivered to the central mailroom, and subsequently delivered to the Student Admissions Office the next business day.