Menu

More Power Will Transform Suny Downstate

Oct 28, 2005

SUNY Downstate Medical Center recently had four 2,500 kva transformers installed that will provide the hospital with a capacity 25 percent higher than the previous four, according to Michael Levinton, deputy director of Facilities Management and Development.

These new transformers replace the four 2,000 kva generators that were installed in the 1970's and which were outdated. With SUNY Downstate preparing to implement several new programs, such as a major upgrade in space for the interventional and cardiology departments and an interventional recovery suite atop the existing MRI building, the center needed to increase its power capacity.

“The effort just completed accomplished this change-out on a unit-by-unit basis, and now the hospital has the capacity to support the new programs,” Levinton said.

SUNY Downstate Medical Center is located at 450 Clarkson Avenue. It is the only academic medical center in Brooklyn and serves more than 2 million people throughout the borough.

 

###


About SUNY Downstate Medical Center

SUNY Downstate Medical Center, founded in 1860, was the first medical school in the United States to bring teaching out of the lecture hall and to the patient’s bedside. A center of innovation and excellence in research and clinical service delivery, SUNY Downstate Medical Center comprises a College of Medicine, College of Nursing, School of Health Professions, a School of Graduate Studies, School of Public Health, University Hospital of Brooklyn, and a multifaceted biotechnology initiative including the Downstate Biotechnology Incubator and BioBAT for early-stage and more mature companies, respectively.

SUNY Downstate ranks twelfth nationally in the number of alumni who are on the faculty of American medical schools. More physicians practicing in New York City have graduated from SUNY Downstate than from any other medical school.