Clinical Assistant Professor
Department of Surgery
Dr. Irina Kovatch is a General Surgeon in Brooklyn, NY. She graduated from SUNY Downstate College of Medicine with honors in 2007 and subsequently completed General Surgery residency at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Surgical Critical Care Fellowship at Stony Brook University Hospital. Dr. Kovatch has more than 13 years of diverse experience both in general surgery and trauma/surgical critical care.
Presently, Dr. Kovatch is a Clinical Assistant Professor of Surgery at SUNY Downstate University Hospital of Brooklyn where she is also an Associate Medical Student Clerkship Director. Throughout her career Dr. Kovatch received multiple awards, such as Samuel L. Kountz Award for Clinical Excellence in Surgery and Downstate President’s Award among others. In 2017 she was included in Research Council of America's database America's Top Surgeons.
Dr. Kovatch is a member of Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society and is Board Certified in both General Surgery and Surgical Critical Care. She is fluent in English and Russian.
Dr. Kovatch has substantial expertise in performing the following procedures.
- Minimally invasive/laparoscopic surgery
- Management of diseases of the gastrointestinal system including small bowel obstruction, diverticular disease, colon cancer and peri-anal disease
- Repair of hernias including ventral/incisional, inguinal, umbilical, and epigastric
- Surgical treatment of acute appendicitis and benign biliary disease
- Treatment of acute surgical abdomen
- Treatment of abdominal compartment syndrome
- Surgical treatment of benign soft tissue tumors
- Insertion of vascular access devices
- Tracheostomy and tracheotomy
- PEG and open gastrostomy tube placement
- Pre- and post-operative critical care of surgical patients
- Management of single and multiple organ failure
- Surgical management of injured patients including all aspects of traumatology