Michael Reinhardt, MD
Assistant Professor, Clinical Advisory Dean,
Director, Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship
Director, Center of Excellence for Alzheimer's Disease, BRIDGE
Dr. Reinhardt received his B.S. in Biochemistry at the University of Rochester, before going on to study medicine at St. George’s University of Medicine. He completed his residency in Psychiatry at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University from 2009-2013, where he served as Chief Resident during his final year. He completed fellowship in geriatric psychiatry at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University where he now serves as Clinical Advisory Dean, Assistant Professor of Psychiatry, Director of the Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program, Director of the Brooklyn Initiative to Develop Geriatrics Education, and the Director of the Center of Excellence for Alzheimer’s Disease. These final two positions were earned as part of multimillion-dollar awards from the Health Resources & Services Administration’s Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program and the New York State Department of Health Center of Excellence for Alzheimer’s Disease Program respectively. Dr. Reinhardt is presently completing a Geriatric Career Advancement Award (K01) from the Health Resources and Services Administration.
His career is dedicated to leadership, education, advancement, and clinical care in the fields of geriatrics and geriatric psychiatry. He has won awards for his educational contributions at SUNY Downstate, and contributes actively to the geriatric psychiatry literature. He is board-certified in both psychiatry and geriatric psychiatry.
- Master of Education in the Health Professions, Johns Hopkins University School of Education (Ongoing: 2019-present)
- Fellowship in Geriatric Psychiatry, SUNY Downstate (2013-2015)
- Residency in Psychiatry, SUNY Downstate (2009-2013)
- MD – St. George’s University School of Medicine (2005-2009)
- Bachelors of Science - Biochemistry, University of Rochester, 1999-2003
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Psychiatry (2014 to Present)
- American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology, Geriatric Psychiatry (2016 to Present)
- Physician, New York State (2012 to Present)
- Co-Director, Brooklyn Initiative to Develop Geriatric Education, 7/1/2019 - Present
- Director, Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program, SUNY Downstate, 2/2018 to Present
- Associate Director, Center of Excellence for Alzheimer’s Disease at SUNY Downstate, 3/2016 – present
- Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry, SUNY Downstate, Brooklyn, NY 7/15 – present
- Associate Director, Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, 7/2015 to 1/2018
- Associate Director, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry, SUNY Downstate, Dept. of Psychiatry 07/2015-Present
- Associate Director Brooklyn Alzheimer Disease Assistance Center at SUNY Downstate, 7/2015 – 02/2016
- Faculty Instructor, Canadian Academy of Geriatric Psychiatry’s Geriatric Psychiatry Online Course, Psychosis Module, 2016 - Present
- Geriatric Psychiatry Fellow, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, 7/2013 – 6/2015
- Clinical Instructor, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, 3/2014 – 6/2015
- Assistant Clinical Instructor, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry 7-3/2013-3/2014
- Clinical Assistant Instructor, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, 7/2009 -6/2015
- Chief Resident, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Department of Psychiatry, 7/2012 – 6/2013
- Psychiatry Resident, SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, New York, 7/2009 – 6/2013
- Geriatric Medicine Fellowship Educator of the Year Award, 2017-2018 academic year, SUNY Downstate
- American Psychiatric Association Resident Recognition Award, 5/2014
- Distinguished Resident Award – For Outstanding Leadership, Professionalism, and Commitment to Psychiatry Education and Training by a Resident, SUNY Downstate, Department of Psychiatry, 2013
- American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry Geriatric Mental Health Foundation Scholars Award Recipient, 2012-2013
- American Psychiatric Association Member in Training Representative, to the APA Assembly, Area 2, 5/2011 – 5/2012
- Cohen, C. I., Vengassery, A., & Reinhardt, M. M. (2019). The utility of self-rated health in older adults with schizophrenia. International Psychogeriatrics, 1-6.
- Adler, K., Apple, S., Friedlander, A., Cheng, F., Cohen, C., Levine, S. R., ... & Stevens, D. (2019). Computerized cognitive performance assessments in the Brooklyn Cognitive Impairments in Health Disparities Pilot Study. Alzheimer's & Dementia, 15(11), 1420-1426.
- Reinhardt, M., Ghoneim, D., Murante, T., Nelson, E., Vargas, P., & Mincer, S. (2019). Assessment and Diagnosis of Psychotic Symptoms in Older Adults. In C. Cohen & P. Meesters (Eds.), Schizophrenia and Psychoses in Later Life: New Perspectives on Treatment, Research, and Policy (pp. 27-46). Cambridge: Cambridge University Press. doi:10.1017/9781108539593.004
- Reinhardt, M., Ghoneim, D., Huggins, B., Mani, A., Murante, T., & Cohen, C. (2018). Schizophrenia Spectrum and Other Psychotic Disorders. In Psychiatric Disorders Late in Life (pp. 205-216). Springer, Cham.
- Cohen, Carl I., Reinhardt, M.M. et al. "Advances in the Conceptualization and Study of Schizophrenia in Later Life." Psychiatric Clinics of North America (2017).
- Freeman K, Cohen C, Reinhardt M, Mani A, Ghoneim D: Pharmacogenetic guided treatment of mental illness in later life. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 25(3)(suppl 1) S144-S145, 2017.
- Cohen, C.I., Reinhardt, M.M. Political Economy and Neoliberalism: Their Influence On Community Mental Health Practice, Research, And Policy. In: Rosenberg, S. ed. Community Mental Health. 2nd
- Reinhardt, M. M., & Cohen, C. I. (2015). Late-Life Psychosis: Diagnosis and Treatment. Current psychiatry reports, 17(2), 1-13.
- Reinhardt, M.M., Le, H., Cohen, C.I., “Oral Health Status and Associated Factors in Minority Adults with Neurocognitive Disorders”. Poster Presented: American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry Annual Meeting, Orlando, FL, March 2014.
- Reinhardt, M.M., Le, H., Sharif, V., Cohen, C.I., “Telehealth Treatment for Urban Minorities with Neurocognitive Disorders”. Poster Accepted: American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 2015
- Le, H., Reinhardt, M.M., Cohen, C.I., "The Relationship Between Hearing Impairment, Cognition, and Neuropsychiatric Symptoms in Persons with Neurocognitive Disorders". Poster Accepted: American Association for Geriatric Psychiatry Annual Meeting, New Orleans, LA, March 2015
Geriatric Academic Career Award
$75,000/year x 4 years
A 4-year mentored career advancement award from HRSA. This award is designed to develop the career of Dr. Reinhardt as an interprofessional educator in geriatrics. As part of this program, Dr. Reinhardt will be developing a novel curriculum for interprofessional trainees on the healthcare applications of Artificial Intelligence / Machine learning and “Big Data”.
Geriatric Workforce Enhancement Program
$750,000/year x 5 years
A five-year award to enhance interprofessional geriatrics education and healthcare in the Brooklyn, NY. This program targets healthcare trainees across the professions and Brooklyn’s primary care providers.
Center of Excellence for Alzheimer’s Disease at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
A five-year effort to expand and improve the clinical services, care quality, and care outcomes for patients / caregivers with Alzheimer’s Disease and Related Dementias across the New York City region.
Role: Associate PD, 25% Effort, 15% In kind
Sponsor: American College of Radiology Imaging Network
Study: Imaging Dementia – Evidence for Amyloid Scanning (IDEAS) Study
Role: Principal Investigator (at SUNY Downstate)
Alzheimer’s Disease Caregiver Support Initiative
Role: Supervision and clinical support of PD staff on site at SUNY Downstate Medical Center
1/2016 – 12/2020
08/2017 – 01/2018
01/2016 – 12/2021