Before You Apply
Post Professional Doctorate (PPOTD) CAQs
Read the Instructions
Download and read the Application Instructions prior to completing an on-line Application.
Check the Deadline
Check the Application Deadline for your program of interest.
Prepare Your Documentation
You will be required to upload documents related to your application. The following is a preview of the documents you will be asked to assemble electronically and upload as directed from within the application:
- Resume or C.V.: Depending on your program of choice, you may be required to submit a Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Transcripts: All applicants must upload unofficial academic transcripts for all USA colleges or
- If you are currently enrolled in a college or taking prerequisite courses, upload a photocopy of your current semester grade report/proof of enrollment.
- If you were educated overseas, an official course-by-course evaluation from a National Association of Credential Evaluation Services (NACES) member agency. World Education Services is one agency in New York City.
- Test Scores: For programs which require a standardized test for admissions consideration, you
must upload a copy of your unofficial score report. If you have not yet taken the
required standardized test, you must indicate the date you intend to take the test.
- If English is a second language and you have not completed at least one year of full-time study in a regionally accredited college or university in the United States, and at least 24 semester credits, including two courses in English composition, you must upload a copy of your test results (TOEFL/IELTS). Test results cannot be older than 2 years.
- Supplemental Documents: Depending on your program choice, you may be required to submit the following:
- Application Questions/Personal Statement: We strongly advise that you begin to draft your responses in a word document prior
to completing the online supplemental application.
- Personal Statement:
- Explain why you seek admission to your program of choice at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University and why you have chosen a health care career. (250–300 words)
- Describe any experience(s) you have had that might impact on your career as an Occupational Therapist. (250–300 words).
- Personal Statement:
- Letter of Recommendations:
SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University has moved toward exclusive use of electronic recommendation submissions. Applicants must submit at least two letters of recommendation with the exception of applicants to the Doctor in Nursing Practice and Doctor of Public Health program who must submit at least three letters and the Advanced Certificate in Public Health who must submit one letter. Please refer to your program of choice application instructions for additional information.
- To complete the recommendation online, you must provide the recommender's name,title and a valid email address.
- Once you have provided the name of the recommender, an email will be sent to him/her with an access code and instructions on how to proceed with the online recommendation.
You may be required to review, and upload a signed copy of the Technical Standards for Admission for your program of choice.
- Application Questions/Personal Statement: We strongly advise that you begin to draft your responses in a word document prior to completing the online supplemental application.
Pay Your Application Fee
The application fee of ($75.00) must be paid prior to submitting the online application
Check Your Status
Upon submitting your application, you can log back into your application to continue checking your application status page. Uploaded documents will not be marked as received until 24 hours after submission.
A separate application must be filed under each program for which you are seeking consideration with completely separate documents and separate recommendations.