Compliance Training is required of all employees/workforce members and is a condition of employment. Failure to meet education and training requirements will result in disciplinary action. Completion of ALL required compliance courses will be closely monitored and documented.
Log on to Compliance & HIPAA Training
Please call OCAS for assistance at x4033.
The following is an outline of the web-based Compliance training courses offered and corresponding workforce members required to complete them.
Click here to access instructions.
- HIPAA Training: This course describes information regarding the Health Insurance Portability and
Accountability Act of 1996. HIPAA establishes how we access, share and securely maintain
private information. Topics include HIPAA Awareness, the HIPAA Privacy Rule, Electronic
Security, Electronic Transactions, the HIPAA Enforcement Rule and the Stimulus Act.
- Who must complete HIPAA Training: All of DMC’s workforce members are required to complete HIPAA training. Individuals who work in areas with no access or contact to patient information may fulfill their HIPAA training requirement by completing the Awareness only module of the web- based training program.
- Professional Compliance Training: The program’s main focus is on coding and documentation requirements, rules for Physicians
at Teaching Hospitals (PATH) and referral guidelines. The course also outlines topics
in Fraud Awareness. Specifically, it discusses common types of healthcare fraud, reviews
the annual work plan from the Office of the Inspector General, as well as delineates
issues related to managed care.
- Who must complete Professional Compliance Training: Physicians, Residents, Physician Billing Administrators and Non- Physician Practitioners/Midlevel Providers are required to complete this course. Voluntary physicians who do not bill through the hospital/ practice plan are not required to complete this course.
- Corporate Compliance Training: This course focuses on the coding and billing rules required for reimbursement in
a hospital setting. It also delineates the required elements of an effective compliance
program, as well as provides an overview of other hospital risk areas as identified
by the Office of the Inspector General.
- Who must complete Corporate Compliance Training: All Hospital revenue cycle personnel including all employees in the Admitting, Outpatient Registration, Health Information Management, Quality Management, Case Management/Utilization Review, Risk Management, Regulatory Affairs, Hospital Finance and Managed Care Departments are required to complete Corporate Compliance training.
- DRA Training: This course describes Federal and State laws regarding the submission of false/fraudulent
claims; specifically focusing on the Federal False Claims Act. The program explains
penalties for false claims as well as whistleblower protections and the process for
- Who must complete DRA Training: All DMC workforce members receive information on DRA compliance. For those individuals who are required to complete either the Professional or Corporate Compliance courses, the DRA training has been incorporated into those programs and does not need to be separately completed.
- Documentation Improvement Training: This course provides documentation and coding tips by specialty to ensure appropriate
specificity is recorded by the physician in the provision of care.
- Who must complete Documentation Improvement Training: This course is designed for all physicians and residents other than those in Dermatology, Pathology and Radiology.
- Research Compliance - Conflicts of Interest & Research Misconduct Training: This course is designed to provide researchers, support staff and administrative
personnel with knowledge about ethical issues and legal requirements with regard to
conflicts of interest and research misconduct.
- Who must complete Conflicts of Interest & Research Misconduct Training: All Investigators involved in funded and unfunded research related activities as well as Research administrative personnel must complete this course.
For assistance with any Compliance Training program, please call (718) 270-4033.