Volunteer Services participants support various departments in the following positions.
Participants Job Assignments
- Support Service Assistant
- Hospital Ambassador/Greeter
- Patient/Guest navigator
- Clerical Support Staff/Office Worker
- Information technology Assistant
- Bed-shop Assistant
- Transport Assistant
- Social Work Aide
- Recovery Room Aide
- Clinic Aide (outpatient)
- Volunteer Service Assistant
- Chaplain Aide
- Employee Service Aide
- Indoor Maintenance Assistant
- Attendance Monitor
Dress Code Requirements
Students, SYEP and, Work Learn & Grow programs Dress Code requirement.
Ladies Bottoms - Khakis or Black Pants or skirts. Skirts must be below the knees are accepted. No blue jeans.
Men Bottoms - Khakis or Black pants are accepted. No blue jeans.
Departments(s) the participants will be assigned to:
Assignments are based on availability.
- Volunteer Services
- Arthur Ashe Institute
- Perioperative Services
- Child Life Learning
- Dialysis (Parkside)
- Outpatient Clinics
- Nursing Office
- Nursing Recruitment
- ED Waiting Area (Pediatric)
- Environmental Services
- Bed shop
- Patient and Guest Relations
- Community and Government Relations
- Pediatric Oncology
- Labor and Delivery
- Recovery Room
- Employee/ Student Health Services
- Cardiac Cath Lab (Reception Area)
- ED Waiting Area (Adult)
- Linen Dept.
- Central Stores
Volunteer Services at Downstate supports the Summer Youth Employment Program (SYEP) and Work Learn and Grow Program. The guidelines of these programs are according to the rules and regulations set forth by The New York City Department of Youth and Community Development (DYCD). The following are the some of providers that we collaborate with as a team to support the community.
Registered Long Standing Partnerships
- Bridge Street Development Corporation
- Greater New York Hospital Association
- Chinese American Planning Council Inc
- Council of Jewish Org Flatbush Inc, BK
- Italian American Civil Rights League
- Research Foundation Medgar Evers College
- St. Nicks Alliance Corp-BK-OY
For more information on Volunteer Services Registration; please review the Volunteer Application Packet, e-mail Volunteer@downstate.edu or call the Department of Volunteer Services at 718-270-2844.