Andrew Winer, MD, FACS
Chief of Urology, Kings County Hospital Center
Assistant Professor, SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, Department of Urology
Clinical Assistant, Dean of Students at Downstate
Dr. Winer is Chief of Urology at NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County and has since risen to an appointment at SUNY Downstate as Associate Professor, Associate Program Director for the Urology Residency, Clinical Advisory Dean for Medical Students and Director of Robotic Surgery at Kings County.
Following his Urology Residency at Downstate, he then moved across the East River for a two year fellowship in Urologic Oncology at Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center. He was struck, if unsurprised, by the differences between the two institutions—in the demography of their patients, the access to health care they offered, and the clinical outcomes. Experiencing these disparities firsthand triggered his decision to return Brooklyn as Chief of Urology at NYC Health + Hospitals/Kings County. Dr. Winer’s clinical interests feature the treatment of urologic malignancies, while also being able to study the impact of cancer in an underserved population that is typically underrepresented in publications.
He is also passionate about providing mentorship for the next generation of physicians and urologists.Education:
- 2005 - 2009: Doctor of Medicine, SUNY at Stony Brook School of Medicine, Stony Brook NY
- 2001 - 2005: B.S. Microbiology and Cell Science, University of Florida, Gainesville FL
- 2014 - 2016: Fellowship in Urological Oncology, Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York NY
- 2010 - 2014: Resident in the Department of Urology, SUNY Downstate School of Medicine, Brooklyn NY
- Ghanaat M, Winer AG, Sjoberg DD, Poon BY, Kashan M, Tin AL, Sfakianos JP, Cha EK, Donahue TF, Dalbagni G, Herr HW, Bochner BH, Vickers AJ, Donat SM. Comparison of Post-Radical Cystectomy Ileus Rates Using GIA-80 versus GIA-60 Intestinal Stapler Device. Urology. 2018 Sep 20.
- Tam AW, Khusid JA, Inoyatov I, Becerra AZ, Davila J, Chouhan JD, Weiss JP, Hyacinthe LM, McNeil BK, Winer AG.Changes observed in prostate biopsy practices in an inner city hospital with a high risk patient population following the 2012 USPSTF PSA screening recommendations. Int Braz J Urol. 2018 Mar 15;44.
- Bagrodia A, Kaffenberger S, Winer A, Murray K, Vacchio M, Zheng J, Ostrovnaya I, Bochner BH, Dalbagni G, Cha EK, Coleman JA. Timing of blood transfusion and oncologic outcomes in patients treated with radical nephroureterectomy for upper tract urothelial carcinoma. World J Urol. 2018 Apr;36(4):645-653.
- Winer AG, Zabor EC, Vacchio MJ, Hakimi AA, Russo P, Coleman JA, Jaimes EA. The Effect of Patient and Surgical Characteristics on Renal Function After Partial Nephrectomy. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2018 Jun;16(3):191-196.
- Feuer ZS, Fine ND, Chouhan JD, Segal DA, Tyler M, Xie S, Hammill PJ, Hyacinthe LM, McNeil BK, Winer AG. A 75-Year-Old African-American Female with an Incidentally Identified Renal Mass after Traumatic Fall. Urology. 2017 Sep 8.
- Bagrodia A, Sukhu R, Winer AG, Levy E, Vacchio M, Lee B, Pietzak EJ, Donahue TF, Cha E, Iyer G, Sjoberg DD, Vickers AJ, Rosenberg JE, Bajorin DF, Dalbagni G, Bochner BH. Incidence and Effect of Thromboembolic Events in Radical Cystectomy Patients Undergoing Preoperative Chemotherapy for Muscle-invasive Bladder Cancer. Clin Genitourin Cancer. 2017 Aug 10.
- Sinha R, Winer AG, Chevinsky M, Jakubowski C, Chen YB, Dong Y, Tickoo SK, Reuter VE, Russo P, Coleman JA, Sander C, Hsieh JJ, Hakimi AA. Analysis of renal cancer cell lines from two major resources enables genomics-guided cell line selection. Nat Commun. 2017 May 10;8:15165
- Smith MT Jr, Graham JN Jr, Levy EB, Olugbade K, Flores V, Emeruwa C, Shimonovich S, Roudnitsky V, Winer AG. Penile Preservation With Subcutaneous Transposition During Fournier’s Gangrene. Urol Case Rep. 2017 Apr 6;12:81-83.
- Zareba P, Rosenzweig B, Winer AG, Coleman JA. Association between lymph node yield and survival among patients undergoing radical nephroureterectomy for urothelial carcinoma of the upper tract. Cancer. 2017 May 15;123(10):1741-1750
- Winer AG, Vertosick EA, Ghanaat M, Corradi RB, Carlsson S, Sjoberg DD, Sankin AI, Sfakianos JP, Cha EK, Dalbagni G, Coleman JA. Prognostic value of lymph node yield during nephroureterectomy for upper tract urothelial carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2017 Apr;35(4):151.e9-151.e15.
- Şenbabaoğlu Y, Gejman RS, Winer AG, Liu M, Van Allen EM, de Velasco G, Miao D, Ostrovnaya I, Drill E, Luna A, Weinhold N, Lee W, Manley BJ, Khalil DN, Kaffenberger SD, Chen Y, Danilova L, Voss MH, Coleman JA, Russo P, Reuter VE, Chan TA, Cheng EH, Scheinberg DA, Li MO, Choueiri TK, Hsieh JJ, Sander C, Hakimi AA. Tumor immune microenvironment characterization in clear cell renal cell carcinoma identifies prognostic and immunotherapeutically relevant messenger RNA signatures. Genome Biol. 2016 Nov 17;17(1):231.
- Chouhan JD, Winer AG, Johnson C, Weiss JP, Hyacinthe LM. Contemporary evaluation and management of renal trauma. Can J Urol. 2016 Apr;23(2):8191-7.
- Winer AG, Motzer RJ, Hakimi AA. Prognostic Biomarkers for Response to Vascular Endothelial Growth Factor-Targeted Therapy for Renal Cell Carcinoma. Urol Clin North Am. 2016 Feb;43(1):95-104
- Hakimi AA, Ostrovnaya I, Jacobsen A, Susztak K, Coleman JA, Russo P, Winer AG, Mano R, Sankin AI, Motzer RJ, Voss MH, Offit K, Purdue M, Pomerantz M, Freedman M, Choueiri TK, Hsieh JJ, Klein RJ. Validation and genomic interrogation of the MET variant rs11762213 as a predictor of adverse outcomes in clear cell renal cell carcinoma. Cancer. 2016 Feb 1;122(3):402-10.
- Mano R, Kent M, Larish Y, Winer AG, Chevinsky M, Hakimi AA, Sternberg I, Sjoberg D, Russo P. Partial and radical nephrectomy for unilateral synchronous multifocal renal cortical tumors. Urology. 2015 April 11
- Winer AG, Sfakianos, JP, Puttanniah VG, Bochner BH. Comparison of Perioperative Outcomes for Epidural versus Intravenous Patient-Controlled Analgesia after Radical Cystectomy. Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2015 May-Jun;40(3):239-44
- Chevinsky M, Imnadze M, Sankin A, Winer AG, Mano R, Jakubowski C, Mashni J, Sjoberg DD, Chen YB, Tickoo SK, Reuter VE, Hakimi AA, Russo P. Pathologic stage T3a significantly increases disease recurrence across all tumor sizes in renal cell carcinoma. J Urol. 2015 Feb
- Winer AG, Chakiryan NH, Mooney RP, Verges D, Ghanaat M, Allaeei A, Robinson L, Zinn H, Lang EK. Secondary pelvic congestion syndrome: description and radiographic diagnosis. Can J Urol. 2014 Aug;21(4):7365-8.
- Winer AG, Sfakianos JP, Hyacinthe LM, McNeil BK. A 10-year analysis of metastatic prostate cancer as an initial presentation in an underserved population. Int Braz J Urol. 2014 May-Jun;40(3):316-21
- Moses KA, Winer A, Sfakianos JP, Poon SA, Kent M, Bernstein M, Russo P, Dalbagni G. Contemporary management of penile cancer: greater than 15 year MSKCC experience. Can J Urol. 2014 Apr;21(2):7201-6.
- Moses KA, Sfakianos JP, Winer A, Bernstein M, Russo P and Dalbagni G. Non-Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Penis: Single Center 15-Year Experience. World J Urol. 2014 Oct;32(5):1347-53.
- Lang EK, Winer AG, Friedman, F. Long-term results of metallic stents for malignant ureteral obstruction in advanced cervical carcinoma. J Endourol. 2013 May;27(5):646-51
- Sheynkin Y, Welliver R, Winer A, Hajimirzaee F, Ahn H, Lee K. Protection from scrotal hyperthermia in laptop computer users. Fertil Steril. 2011 Feb;95(2):647-51.
- Winer AG, Georges C, Feliciano J, Hyacinthe L. Severe bilateral hydronephrosis secondary to bladder tuberculosis: case report. J Urol. 2010 Nov;184(5):2138-9.
- Winer AG, Hyams E, Shah O. Small bowel injury during percutaneous nephrostomy tube placement causing small bowel obstruction. Can J Urol. 2009 Dec; 16 (6): 4950-2.
- Hyams E, Winer AG, Shah O. Retrograde ureteral/renal access in patients with urinary diversion. Urology. 2009 Jul;74(1):47-50.
- Reddy V, Winer AG, Eksioglu E, Meier-Kriesche HU, Schold JD, Wingard JR. Interleukin 12 is associated with reduced relapse without increase incidence of graft-versus-host disease after allogeneic hematopoietic stem cell transplantation. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant. 2005 Dec;11(12):1014-21.