Jeffrey P. Weiss, MD, PhD, FACS
Professor & Chairman, SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, Department of Urology
Staff Urologist, Veterans Affairs NY Harbor Healthcare, Department of Urology
Dr. Weiss is Professor and Chair of the Department of Urology at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, a post he has held for the past ten years. His academic specialty is Neuro-Urology and Urodynamics, with special expertise in nocturia. He is passionate about resident and student education and mentorship. Under his leadership, over the past 7 years, Downstate College of Medicine has matched the largest number of students in the field of Urology nationally.
Dr. Weiss recently earned a PhD In Health Sciences from Ghent University in Ghent, Belgium. His dissertation was entitled: “Treatment Centered Diagnosis of Nocturia”.Education:
- 2020: Ghent University, Ghent Belgium. PhD. in Health Sciences
- 1974 - 1978: University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh PA, Doctor of Medicine.
- 1970 - 1974: Cornell University, Ithaca NY, A.B. Biochemistry/History of Art, Cum Laude.
- 1998: Fellowship in Neuro-Urology/ Urodynamics, Weil / Cornell Medical center, New York, NY
- 1981 - 1984: Resident in the Department of Urology, University of Hospital of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- 1979 - 1981: Resident in the Department of Surgery, University of Hospital of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
- Epstein M, Monaghan T, Weiss JP: Etiology of Nocturia Response in Men with Diminished Bladder Capacity. Neurourology and Urodynamics 2019;38(1):215-222. PMID: 30311674. DOI: 10.1002/nau.23832.
- Herve F, Everaert K, Delabie L, Toon M, Weiss J, Bower W: Effect of diuresis on bother related to lower urinary tract symptoms”. Int J Clin Practice accepted for publication 11/24/18.
- Monaghan TF, Bliwise DL, Suss NR, Epstein MR, Wu ZD, Michelson KP, Agudelo CW, Robins DJ, Wagg A and Weiss JP: Overnight Urge Perception in Nocturia Is Independent of Depression, PTSD, or Anxiety in a Male Veterans Administration Population. J Clinical Sleep Medicine. Vol. 15, No. 4, April 15, 2019, 615-621.
- Lee KC, Rauscher F, Kaminesky J, Ryndin I, Xie L, Zhau Y, Khusid JA, Weiss JP. Novel Immediate/Sustained-Release Formulation of Acetaminophen-Ibuprofen Combination (Paxerol®) for Severe Nocturia Associated with Overactive Bladder: A Multi-Center Randomized, Double Blinded, Placebo-Controlled, 4-Arm Trial. Neurourology and Urodynamics DOI:10.1002/nau.23910, Dec 27, 2018.
- Monaghan TF, Suss NR, Epstein MR, Flores VX, Wu ZD, Michelson KP, Herve F, Bliwise DL, Everaert K and Weiss JP: Differential Nocturnal Diuresis Rates Among Patients with and Without Nocturnal Polyuria Syndrome. Eur Urol Focus. Available here.
- Li ESW, Flores VX, Weiss JP. Current guidelines and treatment paradigms for nocturnal polyuria: A “NEW” disease state for US physicians, patients and payers. IntJ Clin Pract. 2019;73:e13337. https://doi.org/10.1111/ijcp.13337
- Epstein MR, Monaghan TF, Khusid JA, Suss NR, Agudelo CW, Michelson KP, Wu ZD, Gong F, Weiss JP. Comparison of Nocturia Etiology in Black and White Male Patients. Can J Urol. 2019;26(3):9769-9773. PMID: 31180307.
- Weiss JP. Incidence of Nocturia in Men With Lower Urinary Tract Symptoms Associated with Benign Prostatic Enlargement and Outcomes After Medical Treatment: Results From the Evolution European Association of Urology Research Foundation Prospective Multinational Registry. PracticeUpdate website. Available here.
- Monaghan TF, Rahman SN, Bliwise DL, Michelson KP, Agudelo CW, Miller CD, Weinstein CS, Olesen TK, Lazar JM, Everaert K, Verbalis JG and Weiss JP: Identifying men with global polyuria on a nocturnal-only voiding diary. Neurourol Urodyn 2019;1–6. Available here.
- Weiss JP, Monaghan TF, Epstein MR and Lazar JM: Future Considerations in Nocturia and Nocturnal Polyuria. Urology 133: 34-42, 2019
- Weiss JP: Advances in the Diagnosis and Management of Nocturnal Polyuria. Urology 133: 1-2, 2019.
- Weiss JP and Everaert K: Management of Nocturia and Nocturnal Polyuria. Urology 133: 24-33, 2019.
- Monaghan TF, Verbalis JG, Haddad R, Pauwaert K, Agudelo CW, Goessaert AS, Denys MA, Lazar JM,Bliwise DL, Vande Walle J, Wein AJ, Weiss JP, Everaert K. Diagnosing Nocturnal Polyuria from a Single Nocturnal Urine Sample. European Urology Focus, PMID: 31629681. OI:10.1016/j.euf.2019.10.002.
- Gordon DJ, Emeruwa CJ and Weiss JP: Management Strategies for Nocturia. Current Urology Reports November 2019, 20:75.
- Emeruwa, CJ, Gordon, DJ & Weiss, JP: Curr Bladder Dysfunct Rep (2019).
- Rahman S, Monaghan T and Weiss JP: Can Voiding Diaries Help Predict Anticholinergic Treatment Response for Overactive Bladder Syndrome?
- Response to “Development and Validation of a Machine Learning Algorithm for Predicting Response to Anticholinergic Medications for Overactive Bladder Syndrome”. Obstetrics and Gynecology. Accepted 12/3/19.
- Monaghan TF, Epstein MR, Bliwise DL, Michelson KP, Wu ZD, Lazar JM, Everaert K, Kabaritti AE, Holmes A, Wein A and Weiss JP: Time of Peak Nocturnal Diuresis Rate Between Men with Secondary Nocturnal Polyuria versus Nocturnal Polyuria Syndrome. Neurourology and Urodyn 2020; 1-8. https://doi.org/10.1002/nau.24283.
- Victor RG, Li N, Blyler CA, Mason OR, Chang LC, Moy NPB, Rashid MA, Weiss JP, Handler J, Brettler JW, et al. Nocturia as an Unrecognized Symptom of Uncontrolled Hypertension in Black Men Aged 35 to 49 Years. J Am Heart Assoc. 2019 Mar 5; 8(5):e010794.
- Roggeman S, Weiss JP, Van Laecke E, Vande Walle J, Everaert K and Bower WF: The role of lower urinary tract symptoms in fall risk assessment tools in hospitals: a review. F1000 Research 2020 9:236, 03 April 2020.
- Monaghan TF, Michelson KP, Wu ZD, Gong F, Agudelo CW, George CD, Alwis US, Epstein MR, Mekki P, Flores VX, Bliwise DL, Everaert K, Vande Walle J, Weiss JP and Lazar JM: Sodium restriction improves nocturia in patients at a cardiology clinic. J Clin Hypertension 2020: 22:633-638.
- Monaghan TF, Bliwise DL, Denys MA, Goessaert AS, Decalf V, Kumps C, Vande walle J, Weiss JP, Epstein MR, Weedon J, Lazar JM and Everaert K: Phenotyping nocturnal polyuria: circadian and age-related variations in diuresis rate, free water clearance and sodium clearance. Age and Ageing 2020; 49:439-445
- Monaghan TF, Gong F, Vaysblat M, George CD, Michelson KP, Wu ZD, Agudelo CW, Bliwise DL, Everaert K, Weiss JP, Sadovsky R, Wein AJ and Lazar JM: Nocturia: a marker of furosemide treatment response? An exploratory study. BJU International 2020: 125: 636-637.