Brian K. McNeil, MD, MBA, FACS
Chief of Urology, The University Hospital of Brooklyn (UHB)
Staff Urologist, Kings County Hospital Center
Residency Program Director, Department of Urology
Dr. McNeil is the Vice Chair of the Department of Urology and the Urology Residency Program Director at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University.
He is passionate about the issues of Healthcare Disparities. This passion brought him to the under-resourced communities of Central Brooklyn, served by UHB and Kings County Hospital. To mitigate the impact of these disparities, Dr. McNeil espouses the philosophy of ”think globally and act locally”. His “global analysis” has been enhanced by his extended GU Oncological Visiting Professorship in Brazil and his “International Immersions” in Eastern Europe where he investigated specific socio- economic issues while in pursuit of his MBA. His “Local Actions” include leading a resident recruitment process that features diversity and inclusion.
Dr. McNeil was recently assigned the crucial position of Associate Dean for Clinical Affairs at SUNY Downstate HSU and is working closely with the Dean and President of the institution to promote success of the clinical enterprise while additionally being responsible for the entire senior class medical school curriculum.Education:
- 2017 - 2019: Masters in Business Administration, Stern School of Business, New York University, New York NY
- 1997 - 2001: Doctor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, Pittsburgh PA
- 1993-1997: B.S. Biology, Morehouse College, Atlanta GA
- 2009 - 2010: Fellowship in Urologic Oncology in the Department of Surgery, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center, New York NY
- 2007 - 2009: Research Fellowship in Urological Oncology, James Buchanan Brady Urological Institute, Johns Hopkins Hospital, Baltimore MD
- 2006 - 2007: Chief Resident in the Department of Urology Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago IL
- 2005 - 2006: Research Fellow in Urologic Oncology Branch, National Institutes of Health, National Cancer Institute, Bethesda MD
- 2002 - 2006: Resident in the Department of Urology, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago IL
- 2001 - 2002: Intern in the Department of Surgery, Loyola University Medical Center, Chicago IL
- Peer-Reviewed Articles Smith CP, Franks ME, McNeil BK, Ghosh R, De Groat WC, Chancellor MB, and Somogyi GT. Effect of Botulinum Toxin on the Autonomic Nervous System of the Rat Lower Urinary Tract. Journal of Urology. 2003;169(5):1896-1900.
- Milner J, McNeil BK, Proud K, Alioto J, Proud K, Rubinas T, Picken M, Demos T Turk T, Perry KT Jr. Fat poor renal angiomyolipoma: patient, computerized tomography and histologic findings. Journal of Urology. 2006; 176(3):905-909.
- McNeil BK, Getzenberg RH. Urine-based markers in bladder cancer: future prospects. British Journal of Urology. 2008 Mar;101(6):668-9.
- Guzzo TJ, Schaeffer EM, McNeil BK, Pollock RA, Pavlovich CP, Allaf ME. Laparoscopic radical nephrectomy for patients with pathologic T3b renal-cell carcinoma: the Johns Hopkins experience. J Endourol. 2009 Jan;23(1):63-7.
- Guzzo TJ, Allaf ME, Pierorazio PM, Miller D, McNeil BK, Kavoussi LR, Pavlovich CP, Schaeffer EM. Perioperative outcomes of elderly patients undergoing laparoscopic renal procedures. Urology. 2009 Mar;73(3):572-6.
- Fujita K, Landis P, McNeil BK, Pavlovich CP. Serial prostate biopsies are associated with an increased risk of erectile dysfunction in men with prostate cancer on active surveillance. J Urol. 2009 Dec;182(6):2664-9.
- McNeil BK, Getzenberg RH. Urinary protein biomarkers for cancer management. Expert Opinion on Medical Diagnostics. May 2009, Vol. 3, No. 3: Pages 263-273.
- McNeil BK, Schoenberg MP. Management of the Prostate and Urethra in Patients Undergoing Radical Cystectomy. Central European Journal of Urology. 2009; 62 (3): 141-144.
- Guzzo TJ, McNeil BK, Bivalacqua TJ, Elliott DJ, Sokoll LJ, Schoenberg MP. The presence of circulating tumor cells does not predict extravesical disease in bladder cancer patients prior to radical cystectomy. Urol Oncol. 2012 Jan-Feb;30(1):44-8.
- Winer AG, Sfakianos JP, Hyacinthe LM, McNeil BK. A 10-year analysis of metastatic prostate cancer as an initial presentation in an underserved population. International Brazilian Journal of Urology 2014 May-Jun;40(3):316-21.2014.
- McNeil BK, Sorbellini M, Grubb RL, Apolo A, Cecchi F, Athauda G, Cohen B, Giubellino A, Simpson H, Agarwal PK, Coleman J, Getzenberg RH, Netto GJ, Shih J, Linehan WM, Pinto PA, Bottaro DP. Preliminary Evaluation of Urinary Soluble Met as a Biomarker for Urothelial Carcinoma of the Bladder. Journal of Translational Medicine 2014. J Transl Med. 2014 Oct 21;12:199.
- McNeil BK. Anatomy: Kidney, Adrenal and Ureter. American Urological Association Core Curriculum 2015.
- Ilboudo A, Chouhan J, McNeil B, Osborne J, Ogunwobi O. PVT1 exon 9: a potential biomarker of aggressive prostate cancer? Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2015 Dec 22;13(1).
- Chouhan JD, Zhao HH, Magee B, McNeil BK. Retroperitoneal hemorrhage after ureteroscopy without laser lithotripsy: an extreme example of an underreported event? Can J Urol. 2016 Jun;23(3):8324-8.
- Kancherla P, Sullivan JF, Chouhan JD, Feuer Z, Diaz D, Xie Q, Hammill P, McNeil BK. High grade mucinous urothelial carcinoma of the renal collecting system: A case report. Urol Case Rep. 2017 Apr 12;13:19-21.
- North AC, McKenna PH, Sener A, McNeil BK, Franc-Guimond J, Meeks WD, Schlossberg SM, Gonzalez C, Clemens JQ et al. Burnout in Urology - Findings from the 2016 AUA Annual Census. Urology Practice. 2018 Nov Volume 5, Issue 6, Pages 489–494.
- Franc-Guimond J, McNeil B, Schlossberg S, North A, Sener A. Urologist Burnout: Frequency, causes and potential solutions to an unspoken entity. Can Urol Assoc J. 2017 Dec 22.
- Feuer ZS, Fine ND, Chouhan JD, Segal DA, Tyler M, Xie S, Hammill PJ, Hyacinthe LM, McNeil BK, Winer AG. A 75-year old African-American female with an incidentally identified renal mass after traumatic fall. Urology. 2018 Jan;111:28-31.
- Tam AW, Khusid JA, Inoyatov I, Becerra AZ, Davila J, Chouhan JD, Weiss JP, Hyacinthe LM, McNeil BK, Winer AG. Changes observed in prostate biopsy practices in an inner city hospital with a high risk patient population following the 2012 USPSTF PSA screening recommendations. Int Braz J Urol. 2018 Jul-Aug;44(4); 697-703.
- McNeil BK. Editorial Comment: Efficacy of Percutaneous Tibial Nerve Stimulation for Overactive Bladder in Women and Men at a Safety Net Hospital. J Urol. 2019 Nov 14.
- Khusid JA, Sullivan JF, Esdaille AR, Khargi R, Shields JM; SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University Urology Team. Role of the Urologist During a Pandemic: Early Experience in Practicing on the Front Lines in Brooklyn, New York. Eur Urol. 2020 Apr 16.
- McNeil B. Take Home Messages: Kidney Cancer. AUA News. 2018 Jul: 23 (7)
- McNeil BK, Flanigan RC. Chapter 6: Complications of Open Renal Surgery. Complications of Urologic Surgery and Practice. Editor Loughlin KR. Informa Healthcare. 2007.
- McNeil BK, Campbell SC. Chapter 17: Local Recurrence of Renal Cell Carcinoma: Management. Clinical Management o f Renal Tumors. Editors Bukowski R and Novick A. Humana Press. 2008.
- McNeil BK. Chapter 1: First Steps – I’ve Been Diagnosed with Bladder Cancer. The Johns Hopkins Guide for Patients with Bladder Cancer. Editor Gonzalgo ML. Jones and Bartlett Publishers. 2011.
- McNeil BK, Ekwenna OO, Getzenberg RH. Chapter 6: Molecular Signatures of Bladder Cancer. Bladder Tumors: Molecular Aspects and Clinical Management. Editors Lokeshwar VB, Merseburger AS, Hautmann SH. Humana Press. 2011.