Llewellyn M. Hyacinthe, MD, MBA, FACS
Associate Professor, SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, Department of Urology
Director of Operations, SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University, Department of Urology
Staff Urologist, The University Hospital of Brooklyn (UHB)
Dr. Hyacinthe has been affiliated with the Urology Program since 1998 and for 10 years served as Chief of Urology at Kings County Hospital. His career features a commitment to providing high quality Urological care to the under-served communities of Brooklyn and a commitment to the education of residents. An “early adopter” of the Robotic Surgical Platform in Brooklyn, he continues to provide General and Minimally Invasive Urological Services at UHB.
In his new role as Director of Operations within the Department of Urology, Dr. Hyacinthe supports our parallel missions of resident education and outstanding patient care.Education:
- 2017 - 2019: Masters in Business Administration, Fox School of Business, Temple University
- 1984 - 1988: Doctor of Medicine, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine Pittsburgh, PA
- 1980 - 1984: B.A. Economics, Yale University New Haven, CT
- 1992 - 1996: Resident in Urology at Lenox Hill Hospital, New York, NY
- 1991 - 1992: Research fellowship Department of Urology New York Hospital/Cornell
- 1990 - 1991: Resident in General Surgery at Long Island Jewish New Hyde Park, NY
- 1988 - 1990: Research Fellowship in General Surgery, North Shore University Hospital, Manhasset, NY
- 1988 - 1989: Intern in General Surgery at North Shore University Hospital Manhasset, NY
- A 75-Year-Old African American Women With an Incidentally Identified Renal Mass After Traumatic Fall. Zachary S. Feuer, Noam D. Fine, Jyoti D. Chouhan, Daniel A. Segal, Michael Tyler, Steve Xie, Patrick Hammill, Llewellyn M. Hyacinthe, Brian K. McNeil, Andrew G. Winer. Urology, January 2018, Volume 111, p 28-31.
- Contemporary Evaluation and Management of Renal Trauma. Jyoti D. Chouhan DO, Andrew G. Winer MD, Christine Johnson BS, Jeffrey P. Weis MD, Llewellyn M. Hyacinthe MD The Canadian Journal of Urology 23(2), April 2016
- Assessing anxiety in Black men with prostate cancer: Further data on the reliability and validity of the Memorial Anxiety Scale for Prostate Cancer (MAX-PC). Nelson, C.J., Starr, T.D., Macchia, R.J., Hyacinthe, L., Friedman, S., and Roth, A.J. Support Care in Cancer, July 2016, Volume 24, Issue7, p 2905-2911
- Severe Bilateral Hydronephrosis and Hydroureter Secondary to Bladder Tuberculosis. Andrew Winer, Clifford Georges, Joseph Feliciano, and Llewellyn Hyacinthe, Journal of Urology 184: 2138-2139 November 2010
- 856 Validation of the Memorial Anxiety Scale for prostate cancer (Max-PC) in African- American Men with Prostate Cancer. Christian Nelson, Eliena Balk, Richard Macchia, Llewellyn Hyacinthe, Bilal Qayyum. The Journal of Urology, April 2010 Volume 183
- A Fibronectin Related Peptide (GRDGS) Inhibits Implantation of Bladder Tumor Cells but not Healing in Injured Urothelium. Hyacinthe L., Jarrett T., Gordon C., Vaughan E.D., Whalen G. Annals of Surgical Oncology. 2(5): 450-6, Sept. 1995
- Tubular Ecstasia of the Rete Testis. ColangeloS., Freid K., Hyacinthe L., Fracchia J. Urology. 45(3): 532-4, March 1995.
- How I Survived Prostate Cancer…And So Can You. A Guide for Diagnosing and Treating Prostate Cancer. James Lewis Jr. Ph. D. Medical Advisory Board: E. Roy Berger, M.D., Llewellyn Hyacinthe M.D., George Varos M.D., Lloyd J. Ney, Michael J. Lewis, PA, Health Education Literary Publisher, 1994.
- Patch Graft Urethroplasty Using Dye Enhanced Laser Tissue Welding with a Human Protein Solder: A preclinical Canine Model. Poppas D., Mininberg D., Hyacinthe L. et al. Journal of Urology 150(Pt. 2): 648-650, Aug 1993.
- Mediatory Role of Copper in Reactive Oxygen Intermediate-Induced Cardiac Injury. Powell SR, Hyacinthe L., and Teichberg, S et al. Journal of Molecular and Cellular Cardiology 24(11): 1371-86, Nov. 1992.
- Percutaneous Gastronomy Made Simple. Cosgrove J., Riou J., Hyacinthe L., Journal of Laparoscopic Surgery 2(4): 181-182, August 1992.Presentations/Abstracts
- Johnathan A. Khusid MD1, Igor Inoyatov BA1, Adan Z. Becerra BA2, Llewellyn Hyacinthe MD3, Brian K. McNeil MD3 and Andrew G. Winer MD4. EFFECTS OF THE 2012 USPSTF PSA SCREENING RECOMMENDATIONS ON PROSTATE BIOPSY PRACTICES IN AN INNER CITY HOSPITAL WITH A HIGH RISK PATIENT POPULATION. Slated for Presentation at the AUA Annual Meeting, Boston, Mass, May 2017.
- John P Sfakianos, Andrew Winer, Llewellyn M Hyacinthe, Brian K McNeil. What will happen if we don't screen for prostate cancer? A 10 year analysis of metastatic prostate cancer as an initial presentation in an underserved population. American Urological Association Annual Meeting 2012, Atlanta, GA. (Presented May 2012) (The AUA Press Office annually selects 20 of 2000 abstracts for their newsworthiness. This one was selected for presentation)
- Georges CE, Hyacinthe L. Treatment outcomes with LHRH agonists for advanced prostate cancer in an inner city hospital setting. J. Urol. 181, #4, Abstract No. 829, April 2009.
- Karanikolas N, Hyacinthe LM: Can medical management effectively treat patients with symptomatic benign prostatic hypertrophy and bladder stories? J. Urol. 167, #4, Supplement, Abstract # 1493 2002
- American Urological Association 89th Annual Meeting 1995. Improved Outcome of Renal Transplants in Children with Posterior Urethral Valves. Llewellyn Hyacinthe, Antoine Khoury, Bernard Churchill, Gordon Mclorie.
- Connecticut Section of the American College of Surgeons Resident’s Meeting. November 1994. Local Tissue Factors, Not Total Tumor Burden are the Limiting Factors in the Rate of Tumor Growth. Llewellyn Hyacinthe, Giles Whalen.
- American Urological Association 87th Annual Meeting 1993. #235: Inhibition of Gross Tumors in the Cauterized Murine Bladder with a Fibronectin Fragment (GRGDS). Llewellyn Hyacinthe, Giles Whalen et al.
- Llewellyn Hyacinthe Ferdinand Valentine Essay Contest 1993. Inhibition of Tumor Cell Attachment in the Cauterized Murine Bladder Utilizing Components of the Extra-Cellular Matrix.
- Co-Investigator Department of Urology SUNY Downstate Medical Center: Racial, Cultural, and Dyadic Relationship Factors influencing treatment decisions about Active Surveillance (AS) for Prostate Cancer. The main site for this study is the Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai.
- Co-Investigator: Urine Analysis for Diagnosing Urological Cancer. Department of Pathology/Urology SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
- Co-Investigator: PSA trends and Prostate Cancer in African-Caribbean American Men
Department of Urology SUNY Downstate Medical Center
- Co- Investigator: Patients' Preferences for the Gender of Their Urologist
Department of Urology SUNY Downstate Medical Center