Marlene Camacho-Rivera, SC.D, M.S. MPH
Assistant Dean for Student Engagement and Success, Assistant Professor
Department of Community Health Sciences
- MPH: Tufts University School of Medicine
- Sc.M./Sc.D.: Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship, Northwell Health, Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Department of Epidemiology
Dr. Camacho-Rivera is Assistant Professor of Community Health Sciences, SUNY Downstate School of Public Health. She received her BS in Biology and Society from Cornell University, her MPH in Health Policy and Management from Tufts University, and her ScM and ScD degrees in Social Epidemiology from the Harvard School of Public Health. She was a postdoctoral fellow in the Division of Epidemiology at the Feinstein Institute for Medical Research, Northwell Health. Prior to her appointment in the School of Public Health, she was an Assistant Professor of Community Health and Social Medicine at the CUNY School of Medicine.
A social epidemiologist by training, Dr. Camacho-Rivera’s research focuses on three main themes:
- Social and structural determinants of chronic disease disparities (e.g. cancer, pulmonary, and cardiometabolic conditions) among urban racial and ethnic minority communities.
- Exploring patterns and determinants of within-group heterogeneity in chronic disease outcomes among Latinos.
- Design, implementation, and evaluation of multilevel and community-engaged interventions to improve chronic disease self-management among urban minority communities, with a focus on mHealth and new technologies.
Dr. Camacho-Rivera is also actively engaged in examining determinants and impacts of the COVID-19 pandemic on structurally vulnerable groups (e.g. urban minority communities, individuals with chronic health conditions, essential workers). Her research has been funded by the National Cancer Institute, the Association of American Medical Colleges, the National Institute on Minority Health and Health Disparities, and the Stony Wold-Herbert Fund. Her research has been published in numerous epidemiological and clinical journals including the Journal of Urban Health, Cancer Epidemiology, Biomarkers, and Prevention, BMJ, and JMIR mHealth and uHealth. She serves on the editorial boards of PLOS One, Frontiers in Public Health, and BMC Public Health.
CHSC 5205: Urban Health Issues
CHSC 7202: Methods of Community Intervention and Research