Lori Escallier, PhD RN CPNP-PC FAAN
Professor and Dean
College of Nursing
Dr. Escallier has worked at Stony Brook for 36 years and now serves as Dean of the Downstate College of Nursing. Her innovative works developing educational engagement strategies for diverse students has been nationally recognized by the American Association of Colleges of Nursing (AACN) and the Robert Wood Johnson Foundation (RWJF). She has been the recipient of numerous grants totaling more than nine million dollars that have supported the academic success of underrepresented, minority students.
Her mentorship models support students from all degree levels and have impacted the national RWJF/AACN New Careers in Nursing (NCIN) Program’s success in preparing thousands of baccalaureate and master’s level nurses. These mentorship models have been supported through seven consecutive years of funding (the maximum) under the NCIN Program by RWJF, and for over ten years by HRSA, thereby imparting the healthcare workforce with a broader and more culturally and experientially diverse group of professional nurses.
Dr. Escallier co-authored a national award-winning resource book for diverse nurses: the RWJF/AACN Transition to Practice Toolkit. Her influence has been recognized through the RWJF Innovation Award, as well as the Above and Beyond Award in 2015. These innovative models continue to be adopted across the nation and have garnered international interest.
Dr. Escallier engaged additional avenues for diversifying the nursing workforce through a response to the federal Vow to Hire Heroes Act of 2011. Her innovative HRSA-funded Veteran to BS Program expanded university enrollment to veterans from diverse backgrounds. Her work with veterans has forged change in how substantive experience is translated to academic credit.Academic Qualifications
- BSN: Salve Regina College, 1980
- MSN: SUNY Stony Brook, 1988
- PhD: Adelphi University, 1995
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- American Academy of Nursing
- Sigma ThetaTau International
- New York Academy of Medicine
- Voelpel, P., Escallier. L., Fullerton, J., Abitbol, L. (2018) Interaction between Veterans and Horses. Journal of Psychosocial Nursing and Mental Health Services, 56 (5): 7-10.
- Voelpel, P., Escallier, L., Fullerton, J. (2017) Transitioning Veterans to Nursing Careers: A Model Program. Journal of Professional Nursing 34 (4): 273-279.
- Rohan, A., Escallier, L.A., Fullerton, J. and Pati, S. (2017). A Novel Online Digital Badge-awarding Program in Patient Navigation for Reducing Disparities in Healthcare. Journal of Continuing Education in the Health Profession.
- Escallier, L.A. (Editor) Mentorship Toolkit. RWJF Publications. 2017.
- Rohan, A., Escallier, L.A. (2016) Patient Navigation Competencies: An Opportunity for Nurse Educators? Annals of Nursing Practice 3(4):1057.
- Mauro, A.M., Escallier, L.A. and Rosario-Sim, M.G. (2016).New Careers in Nursing Scholar Alumni Toolkit: Development of an Innovative Resource for Transition to PRactice. Journal of Professional Nursing.
- Fullerton, J., Escallier, L.A., Shurpin, K., (2014) A Community Focused Evaluation of a Doctor of Nursing Practice Program. Journal of Research in Nursing & Midwifery 3(3) 55-59.