Michael Herman, MD
Director of Urology
South Nassau Communities Hospital
Dr. Herman is the Chief of Urology Mount Sinai-South Nassau Community Hospital. Under his leadership SNCH has emerged as a center of excellence in Urological Services. Dr. Herman has a special interest in Robotic Surgery and expertise in developing clinical investigational projects in Urology. The rotation at SNCH has emerged as a resident favorite.Education:
- 2001 - 2005: Doctor of Medicine, University of Texas Southwest Medical Center, Dallas, TX
- 1997 - 2001: B.A. Biochemical Sciences, Harvard College, Cambridge, MA
- 2007 – 2011: Resident in the James Buchanan Brady Department of Urology, Weil Cornell Medical College New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
- 2005-2007: Intern / Resident in the Department of Surgery, Weil Cornell Medical College New York-Presbyterian Hospital, New York, NY
- Multiple Regions of Interest on Multiparametric Resonance Imaging are Not
Associated with Increased Detection of Clinically Sigfflcant Prostate Cancer on Fusion Biopsy. Patel N, Halpem JA, Kasabwala K, Cricco-Lizza E, Herman M, Margolis D, Xu C, Robinson BD, wang Y, McClure T, Hu JC. J Urol. 2018 Mar 6. Editorial Comment.
Herman M. Urology. 2017
- Kluth LA, Abdollah F, Xylinas E, Rieken M, Fajkovic H, Seitz C, Sun M, Karakiewicz
Schramek P, Herman MP, Becker A, Hansen J, Ehdaie B, Loidl W, Pummer K, Lee RK,
Lotan Y, Scherr DS, Seiler D, Ahyai SA, Chun FK, Graefen M, Tewari A, Nonis A, Bachmann A, Montorsi F, Gönen M, Briganti A, Shariat SF. Clinical nodal staging scores for prostate cancer: a proposal for preoperative risk assessment. Br J Cancer. 2014
- Raman JD, Lin YK, Kaag M, Atkinson T, Crispen P, Wille M, Smith N, Hockenberry M, Guzzo T, Peyronnet B, Bensalah K, Simhan J, Kutikov A, Cha E, Herman M, Scherr D, Shariat SF, Boorjian SA. High rates of advanced disease, complications, and decline of renal function after radical nephroureterectomy. Urol Oncol. 2014 Jan; 32(1):47.e9-47.e14.
- Rieken M, Kluth LA, Xylinas E, Fajkovic H, Becker A, Karakiewicz PI, Herman M, Lotan
Y, Seitz C, Schramek P, Remzi M, Loidl W, Pummer K, Lee RK, Faison T, Scherr DS,
Kautzky-Willer A, Bachmann A, Tewari A, Shariat SF. Association of diabetes mellitus and metformin use with biochemical recurrence in patients treated with radical prostatectomy for prostate cancer. World J Urol. 2013 sep 24.
- Kluth LA, Xylinas E, Rieken M, Chun FK, Fajkovic H, Becker A, Karakiewicz PI, Passoni N, Herman M, Lotan Y, Seitz C, Schramek P, Remzi M, Loidl W, Guillonneau B, Rouprêt M, Briganti A, Scherr DS, Graefen M, Tewari AK, Shariat SF. Does increasing the nodal yield improve outcomes in contemporary patients without nodal metastasis undergoing radical prostatectomy? Urol Oncol. 2014
- Kluth LA, Abdollah F, Xylinas E, Rieken M, Fajkovic H, Sun M, Karakiewicz PI, Seitz
Schramek P, Herman MP, Becker A, Loidl W, Pummer K, Nonis A, Lee RK, Lotan Y,
Scherr DS, Seiler D, Chun FK, Graefen M, Tewari A, Gönen M, Montorsi F, Shariat SF, Briganti A. Pathologic Nodal Staging Scores in Patients Treated with Radical Prostatectomy: A Postoperative Decision Tool. Eur Urol. 2013 Jul 2.
- Srivastava A, Chopra S, Pham A, Sooriakumaran P, Durand M, Chughtai B, Gruschow S, Peyser A, Harneja N, Leung R, Lee R, Herman M, Robinson B, Shevchuk M, Tewari A. Effect of a risk-stratified grade of nerve-sparing technique on early return of continence after robotassisted laparoscopic radical prostatectomy. Eur Urol. 2013 Mar;63(3):438-44.
- Tewari AK, Ali A, Ghareeb G, Ludwig W, Metgud S, Theckumparampil N, Takenaka A,
Chugai B, Shrivastava A, Kaplan SA, Leung R, Paryani R, Grushow S, Durand M, Peyser A, Chopra S, Harneja N, Lee RK, Herman M, Robinson B, Shevchuck MM. Improving time to continence after robot-assisted laparoscopic prostatectomy: augmentation of the total anatomic reconstruction technique by adding dynamic detrusor cuff trigonoplasty and suprapubic tube placement. J Endourol. 2012 Dec;26(12): 1546-52.
- Wynter C, Scherr D, Herman MP. A 38-year-old woman with multiple renal masses and a history of ovarian cancer. Urology. 2012 1210-3.
- Clements T, Messer JC, Terrell JD, Herman MP, Ng CK, Scherr DS, scoli B, Boorjian SA, Uzzo RG, Wille M, Eggener SE, Lucas SM, Lotan Y, Shariat SF, Raman JD. High-gade ureteroscopic biopsy is associated with advanced pathology of upper-tract urothelial carcinoma tumors at definitive surgical resection. J Endourol. 2012 Apr;26(4):398-402. doi:10.1089/end.2011.0426. Epub 2012 Feb 24.
- Messer JC, Terrell JD, Herman MP, Ng CK, Scherr DS, scoli B, Boorjian SA, Uzzo RG, Wille M, Eggener SE, Lucas SM, Lotan Y, Shariat SF, Raman JD. Multi-institutional validation of the predictive value of preoperative hydronephrosis for advanced stage upper-tract urothelial carcinoma. Urol Oncol. 2011, Epub ahead of print.
- Clements T, Messer JC, Terrell JD, Herman MP, Ng C, Scherr D, scoli B, Boorjian SA, Uzzo RG, Wille M, Eggener SE, Lucas SM, Lotan Y, Shariat SF, Raman JD. High ureteroscopic biopsy is associated with advanced pathology of upper tract urothelial carcinoma tumors at definitive surgical resection. 2011, J Endourol. Epub ahead of print
- Sooriakumaran P, John M, Christos P, Bektic J, Bartsch G, Leung R, Herman M, Scherr D, Tewari A. Models to predict positive prostate biopsies using the Tyrol screening study. Urology. 2011, Urology.
- Lee R, Chughtai B, Herman M, Shariat SF, Scherr DS. Cost-analysis comparison of robotassisted laparoscopic radical cystectomy (RC) vs open RC. BJUI. 2011. 108(6 pt 2):976983.
- Herman MP, Del Pizzo JJ. Simultaneous bilateral single-port radical nephrectomies: a safe and feasible option. JSLS. 2011.
- Research Fellow, Department of Urology, Weill Cornell Medical College, June 2008-June
Established translational study investigating the use of multiphoton microscopy, a novel imaging modality, to improve outcomes after radical prostatectomy. Supervised by Ashutosh Tewari, M.D., M.Ch., F.R.C.S.
- Research Fellow, Department of Public Health, Weill Cornell Medical College, June 2008 - June 2009 Investigated the changes in resource utilization of the robotic prostatectomy program at New York-Presbyterian Hospital. Supervised by Alvin Mushlin, M.D., Sc.M. and Ashutosh Tewari, M.D., M.Ch., F.R.C.S.
- Department of Health Policy, Mt. Sinai School of Medicine, June 2002-August 2002 Organized and contributed to a community-based health newsletter discussing health disparities in minority communities in East and Central Harlem. Supervised by Carol Horowitz, M.D., M.P.H. and Mark Chassin, M.D.
- Brigham & Women's Hospital, Harvard University Medical School, June 1998-June 2001 Conducted original research promoting the basic understanding of atherosclerosis and vascular biology. Supervised by Peter Libby, M.D. and Uwe Schönbeck, Ph.D.