Sheldon Landesman, MD
Professor of Medicine
Director of Clinical Education; Clerkship Director - Sub Internship;
Director of AECOM 8 Station Gateway 3
Education and Training
- 1976 - 1978: Clinical and Research Fellow, Infectious Diseases Service, Department of Medicine, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Mass 02111.
- 1975 - 1976: Medical Resident, Tufts New England Medical Center, Boston, Mass, 02111.
- 1974 - 1975: Research Fellow (Hematology / Oncology) Baltimore Cancer Research Center, National Cancer Institute Baltimore, Maryland
- 1973 - 1974: Clinical Fellow (Hematology / Oncology) Baltimore Cancer Research Center, National Cancer Institute Baltimore, Maryland
- 1972 - 1973: Medical Intern, Bellevue Hospital Center; New York University School of Medicine, New York, NY
- 1972: Downstate Medical Center, MD degree, Magna cum Laude
- Director of Antibiotic Lab, KCH – 1978-1986
- Director, AIDS Study Group – 1983-1993
- Vice Chair of Medicine, Brookdale Hospital – 1993-1997
- Director of Infectious Disease Brookdale Hospital – 1993-2004
- Program Director in Medicine Brookdale Hospital – 1999-2002
- Special Consultant to NYC Commissoner of Health. Charged with developing a citywide TB control plan – 1992-1993
- Visiting Fellow, Hasting Center for Bioethics – 1991-1992
Career / Research Interests
Ethics, HIV, particularly Perinatal transmission, Meningitis, TB, Pnuemococcal vaccine efficacy, Medical Education for the last 12 years.
- Bayer R, Stayton C, Desvarieux M, Healton C, and Landesman S. Directly Observed Terapy and Treatment Completions for Tuberculosis in the United States - 1990-1994 Am Journal of Public Health, 1998; 88(7):1052-8
- Landesman Sheldon: Tuberculosis in New York City: The Consequences and Lessons of Failure, Am.J.Pub.Health May, l993 Vol. 83 No. 5 Pgs 766-768
- Sunderland A, Minkoff H, Handte J, Moroso G, Landesman S: The Impact of Human Immunodeficiency Virus Serostatus on Reproductive Decisions of Women. Obstetrics & Gynecology. 79:1027 1030, 1992.
- Ahonkhai VI, Landesman SH, Fikrig SM, Schmalzer EA, Cherubin CE, and Schiffman G: Failure of Pneumococcal Vaccine in Patients with Sickle Cell Disease. New Engl. J. Med. 301:26-7, July 5, 1979.
- Landesman SH, Corrado ML, Shah PM, Armengaud M and Cherubin CE: The Past and Current Roles of the Cephalosporin Antibiotics in the Treatment of Gram Negative Bacillary Meningitis. American Journal of Medicine 71:693-703, 1981.
- Landesman SH, Cherubin CE, Corrado ML: Therapy for Gram-Negative Meningitis - New Therapy and Changing Concepts. Archives of Intern. Med. 142:939-40, 1982.
- Weiss SH, Saxinger CW, Rechtman D, Grieco HM, Nadler J, Holman S, Ginzburg MH, Groopman JE, Goedert JJ, Markham PD, Gallo RC, Blattner WA, and Landesman SH: HTLV-III Infection Among Health Care Workers Associated with Needle-Stick Injuries. Journal of the American Medical Association 254:2089-93, 1985
- Landesman SH, Ginsburg H, Weiss S: The AIDS Epidemic. New Engl. J. Med. 312:5215, 1985.
- Landesman SH, Minkoff H, Holman S, Sijin O, Weber J: Serosurvey of HIV Infection in a Municipal Hospital Prenatal Service. Evidence of Significant Infection in Minority Population. Journal of the American Medical Association, 258:2701-2704, November, 1987.
- Minkoff HM, Holman S, Beller E, Delke I, Fishbaum A, Landesman S: Development and Implementation of a Program of Routinely Offered Prenatal HIV Testing. New England Journal of Medicine, 319:1018, 1988.
- Glatt A, Chirgwin K, Landesman S: Treatment of Infections Associated with Human Immunodeficiency Virus. New England Journal of Medicine 318:1439-1448, June 1988.
- Bayer, R. Neveloff-Dubler, N., LLB, Landesman, S.:The Dual Epidemics of Tuberculosis and Aids: Ethical and Policy Issues in Screening and Treatment Amer jrnl of Public Health, May l993, Vol 83 No. 5 pgs 649-654
- Landesman SH., Kalish L, Burns D, Minkoff H, Fox H, et al.: Obstetrical Factors and the Transmission of HIV type 1 from mother to child. New England Journal of Medicine, 1996;334:1617-23