SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Surgery
Our cardiothoracic surgeons are highly experienced in lung resection for benign and malignant diseases. Collaboration with other multi-disciplinary teams are critical for optimizing personalized care. Lung screening and early detection for cancer is now available. Minimally Invasive video assisted thoracoscopic surgery? VATS or robotic assisted VATS are implemented in most lung resection cases today to include:
- Cervical Mediastinoscopy
- Video assisted thoracoscopic or robotic surgery VATS wedge resection
- Video assisted thoracoscopic or robotic surgery VATS lobectomy
- Video assisted thoracoscopic surgery VATS bilobectomy
- Video assisted thoracoscopic surgery VATS pneumonectomy
Airway Diseases is performed in patients who have symptoms or in patients with worsening heart failure. Technology has advanced the field to allow these valves to be replaced or repaired using minimally invasive techniques and patient selection is critical for success.
- Diseases of the airway can be benign or malignant and can be treated with endoluminal or open surgery.
- Tracheal resection for benign tracheal stenosis
- Tracheal resection for tumors of the trachea or bronchus
- Endotracheal or Endobronchial balloon plasty and stenting
- Foreign body removal
- Rigid Bronchoscopy
- Tracheoesophageal fistula repair
Pleural Diseases: The pleura may harbor benign or malignant diseases and minimally invasive techniques are available to diagnose and treat such conditions.
- VATS pleural biopsy
- VATS pleural drainage
- VATS decortication
- VATS pleurx catheter placement
- VATS pleurodesis
- VATS bleb resection (for spontaneous pneumothorax)
- Open decortication