SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Alfred Stracher Memorial Fund
The Alfred Stracher Faculty Recognition Award
The Alfred Stracher Faculty Recognition Award is given to honor a Downstate faculty member who demonstrates: (1), an active involvement in research to lessen the burden of severe illness, and (2) an ongoing commitment to mentoring younger faculty members in their research and helping them achieve independent status.
- The nominee must be a senior member of the Downstate faculty (any title above Assistant/Research Assistant Professor) and be actively involved in a basic, clinical, or translational research program related to severe illness. The research program may be in addition to other academic or clinical responsibilities but must result in a demonstrable current level of commitment.
- The nominee will have an ongoing record of mentoring junior scientists in their research, specifically those who have completed their doctoral or medical degrees, including postdoctoral fellows, residents, fellows and Assistant/Research Assistant Professors. (A history of training pre-doctoral students or medical students will be beneficial but will not sufficiently qualify a candidate for this award.)
- The nominee must be employed by Downstate: however the individuals who have been/are being mentored may be at institutions other than Downstate.
- The nominee will have demonstrated a commitment to mentoring in both research development and professional development. NOTE: department chairpersons will not be considered.
- Any SUNY Downstate faculty member, fellow, resident or postdoctoral fellow may submit a nomination package on behalf of a candidate. Faculty members may also self-nominate. The nomination package will contain: the candidate's CV; a cover letter (two pages or less) describing the nominee's eligibility for the award, including a brief description of the candidate's ongoing research and the mentoring impact the candidate has demonstrated. Please reference papers/abstracts and other achievements involving mentees. Submission of supporting documentation is welcomed.
- All documents in a single PDF file is due by Friday, January 29, 2016 at 5:00 pm.
- Please address the cover letter to: Julie Rushbrook, PhD, Committee Chair for The Alfred Stracher Memorial Fund, and submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The recipient will be given an award at Neurology Grand Rounds on February 26, 2016 and will receive an award of up to $5,000.