SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Alfred Stracher Memorial Fund
The Alfred Stracher Faculty Recognition Award
The Alfred Stracher Faculty Recognition Awards are given to honor Downstate faculty members who demonstrate: (1), an active involvement in research to lessen the burden of severe illness, and (2), an ongoing commitment to mentoring younger faculty members in their research and helping them achieve independent status. This year up to two awards may be given, one to a basic scientist, one to a physician. The award(s) of $5,000 will be given at Neurology Grand Rounds on April 17, 2020.
- Nominees must be senior members of the Downstate faculty (any title above Assistant/Research Assistant Professor) who are actively involved in a basic, clinical, or translational research program related to severe illness. The research program may be in addition to other academic or clinical responsibilities but must result in a demonstrable current level of commitment.
- Nominees will have an ongoing record of mentoring junior scientists in both their research and professional development. For physician applicants, mentees will include those who have already completed their doctoral or medical degrees, including postdoctoral fellows, residents, fellows and Assistant/Research Assistant Professors. For basic science applicants, mentees will include graduate students, post-doctoral researchers and Assistant/Research Assistant Professors.
- Nominees must be employed by Downstate: however the individuals who have been/are being mentored may be at institutions other than Downstate.
NOTE: department chairpersons will not be considered.
- Any SUNY Downstate faculty member, fellow, resident or postdoctoral fellow may submit a nomination package on behalf of a candidate. Faculty members may also self-nominate. The nomination package must contain: the candidate's CV; a cover letter (two pages or less) describing the nominee's eligibility for the award, including a brief description of the candidate's ongoing research and the mentoring impact the candidate has demonstrated. Please reference papers/abstracts and other achievements involving mentees. Submission of supporting documentation by those who have been/are being mentored is of particular value.
- All documents, incorporated into a single PDF file, are due by Friday, March 13, 2020 at 5:00 p.m.
- Please address the cover letter to: Julie Rushbrook, PhD, Committee Chair for The Alfred Stracher Memorial Fund, and submit electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For further information visit our webpage at www.downstate.edu/stracher. If you have further questions, please contact Rose Jackman at the email address above.