SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Center for Healthcare Simulation
Pioneering Immersive & Simulation Based Learning at SUNY Downstate
Welcome to the Center for Healthcare Simulation for immersive simulation based learning at SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University. We are located on the third floor of the Public Health Academic Building (PHAB) SUNY Downstate 450 Clarkson Avenue.
Jason Lazar, MD Interim Medical Director
- Provides immersive and simulation based educational programs for students, clinical trainees and faculty throughout the Downstate Medical Center
- Provides a unique interprofession educational environment where students from all professions work collaboratively over the course of their education to foster professional excellence, teamwork and error reduction
- Provides a safer environment for patients by using simulation and ultrasound technology in the education, assessment and credentialing of trainees in resuscitative, invasive and surgical procedures
- Supports research and development of new immersive and simulation based educational programs
- Pioneers new technologies in medical education
- Sixteen Standardized Patient exam rooms with sixteen learner input stations and six faculy oberservation stations.
Our high fidelity mannequins permit identification of pathologic physical exam findings and foster the development of clinical reasoning and procedural skills in a zero fault environment. We also utilize Partial Task Trainers allowing trainees to practice specialty specific skills such as endotracheal intubation, central and peripheral line placement, pericardiocentesis, transvenous pacemaker insertion, and other invasive procedures. Compact ultrasound systems and tissue phantoms permit our trainees to learn and practice ultrasound-guided techniques for invasive procedures such as thoracentesis, paracentesis, vascular access and regional anesthesia. Our facility integrates proprietary computer based learning systems for tracking educational sessions and for managing and serving clinical educational content.
Our SP Program
We are pleased to provide Standardize patient for our students and faculy onsite.
Note: We don't not have SPs on staff the service is provided based on your program need and is discussed as part of your program design in collaboration with CHS staff.
Our collaborative partners and end users at SUNY Downstate include
- School of Health Professions
- College of Medicine
- College of Nursing
- Graduate Medical Education
- University Hospital of Brooklyn