SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
School of Public Health
Department of Health Policy and Management (HPMG)
Health Policy requires the ability to assess, collaborate, plan, innovate, and advocate for improvement in the public health and healthcare systems. Health Management requires the ability to lead a public health organization or healthcare system ethically with financial, operational, and scientific expertise.
Our mission is to prepare leaders who will understand, guide, and improve our public health and healthcare systems.
Our particular focus is on the myriad issues that affect the health and well-being of Brooklyn's diverse urban and immigrant individuals and communities.
We offer an MPH degree in Health Policy and Management
Our faculty members actively participate in the study and improvement of the public health and healthcare systems through work with our students, fellow faculty of the Downstate Schools, community organizations, and public advocates.
- Dr. Benker: Member of the Board of Directors of the Brownsville Multi-Service Family Health Center, co-Principal Investigator of an NIH grant to promote colorectal cancer screening among African Americans
- Dr. Ehlke: Co-editor, Health Politics and Policy textbook, Faculty Advisor, Research on British and American Health Policy with particular expertise on the American Affordable Care Act
- Dr. LaRosa: Distinguished Service Professor, SUNY Downstate School of Public Health, Student Advisor, Board member of the Kings Against Violence Initiative (KAVI), co-author of the textbook, New Dimensions in Women’s Health, 8th edition
- Dr. Trowers: Member of the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE), expertise in Healthcare Administration
Student Project Examples
- Barriers Children of Low SES Face in the Battle of Childhood Obesity
- An Economic Analysis of National Critical Care Costs: 2011 - 2016 and Beyond
- Mental Health Inequities and Cultural Barriers to Care for American Arab, Middle Eastern Muslim and South Asian (AMEMSA) Refugee and Immigrant Populations
- Assessment of Oral Health in Older Adults with Dementia
- Disparities in Transgender and Non-Binary Care
- The Future of Nicotine Delivery Systems
- Affordable Care Act – Latin American Immigrants
- Social Media and Its Impact on Adolescent Mental Health
Karen Benker, MD, MPH
Associate Professor and Interim Chair, Department of Health Policy and Management