SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Cathryn A. Galanter, MD
Visiting Associate Professor
Tel: (718) 245-2502
Cathryn A. Galanter, MD is an Associate Professor of Psychiatry and the Training Director of the Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Program.
She completed her undergraduate degree in Art History and graduated with distinction in her major from the University of Pennsylvania. She obtained her medical degree from New York University School of Medicine and did her general and child psychiatric residencies and research fellowship at Columbia.
She completed an NIMH career development award, Improving Child Psychiatrists' Clinical Decision Making, where she applied methods of studying clinical problem solving to understanding how child and adolescent psychiatrists diagnoses and differentiate pediatric bipolar disorder and ADHD. After completing her K-Award, she remained at Columbia as the Director of the Pediatric Bipolar Service at Children's Hospital of New York and the Clarice Kestenbaum Fellow for Training and Education.
She came to SUNY Downstate and Kings County Hospital Center in 2011 as Training Director for the Child Psychiatry Fellowship. Her clinical and research interests include: 1) improving education in children's mental health using theory based interventions for trainees, psychiatrists, and primary care practitioners, 2) understanding clinician decision making, 3) evidence based assessment and treatment of pediatric bipolar disorder and 4) the overlap between ADHD and bipolar disorder.
Dr. Galanter has been the recipient of grants and awards from the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry, the American Psychiatric Association, Columbia University and the National Institute of Mental Health. She has authored numerous peer-reviewed publications and co-edited The DSM-IV-TR Casebook and Treatment Guide for Child Mental Health. She is active in the American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry and the American Psychiatry Association. She has a private practice in Brooklyn treating children, adolescents and adults.
Manuscripts: Original Research
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Naureckas SM, Galanter C, Naureckas NT, Donovan M, Christoffel KK. Children's and women's ability to fire handguns. Arch Pediatr Adoles Medicine. 1995;149:1318-22.
- Galanter CA, Wasserman G, Sloan RP, Pine DS. Changes in autonomic regulation with age: implications for psychopharmacologic treatments in children and adolescents. J Child Adoles Psychopharm. 1999;9:253-261.
- Galanter CA, Bilich C, Walsh BT. Side effects of desipramine and age. J Child Adoles Psychopharm. 2002;12:137-145.
- Galanter CA, Carlson GA, Jensen PS, Greenhill LL, Davies M, Li W, Chuang SZ, Elliott GR, Arnold LE, March JS, Hechtman L, Pelham WE, Swanson JM. Response to methylphenidate in children with ADHD and manic symptoms from the MTA titration trial. J Child Adoles Psychopharm. 2003;13:123-136.
- Chait A, Galanter CA. Bipolar Disorder. Report on Emotional & Behavioral Disorders in Youth. 2005; 5(2): 33-34, 38-42.
- Galanter CA, Patel VL. Medical Decision Making: A selective review for child psychiatrists and psychologists. J Child Psychol Psychiatry. 2005; 46(7):675-689.
- Galanter CA, Pagar D, Jensen PS, Davies M, Li W, Carlson GA, Abikoff HB, Arnold LE, Bukstein OG, Elliott GR, Epstein JN, Hechtman L, Newcorn JH. ADHD and manic symptoms: Diagnostic and treatment implications. Clin Neurosci Res. 2005; 5(5-6): 283-294.
- Galanter CA and Leibenluft E. Frontiers between attention deficit hyperactivity disorder and bipolar disorder. Child Adolesc Psychiatric Clin N Am. 2008;17: 325-346.
- Galanter, CA, Pagar, DL, Oberg, PP, Davies, M, Wong, C, Jensen, PS. Survey of child and adolescent psychiatrists on diagnosing bipolar disorder. J Child Adolesc Psychopharm. December 2009;19(6): 641-647
- Galanter, CA, Hundt, RS, Goyal, P, Le, J, Fisher PW. Variability Among Research Diagnostic Interview Instruments in the Application of DSM-IV-TR Criteria for Pediatric Bipolar Disorder. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 2012; 51(6): 605-62.
- Trentacosta C, Galanter CA. The American Psychiatric Publishing Textbook of Suicide Risk Assessment and Management, Second Edition: A Comprehensive Review, Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, September 2014.
- Elmaadawi AZ, Jensen PS, Arnold EL, Molina BSG, Hechtman L, Abikoff H, Hinshaw SP, Newcorn JH, Greenhill LL, Swanson JM, Galanter CA. Risk for emerging bipolar disorder, variants, and symptoms in children with attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, now grown up World J Psychiatr 2015: 5(4):412-424.
- Galanter CA, Nikolov R, Green N, Naidoo S, Myers MF, Merlino JP, Direct Supervision in Outpatient Psychiatric Graduate Medical Education. Academic Psychiatry 2016: 40:157-163.
Books, Chapters, Manuals
- Galanter CA, Amsel LA, Pappadopulus E, Gollwtizer P, Oettingen G, Jensen PS. Mental Contrasting Implementation - Intentions Manual to Assist New York State Child and Adolescent Psychiatrists in Changing their Behavior (2003).
- Galanter CA. Hypomania and Jennifer Ingram: Overview of an Evaluation in "The Approach to the Psychiatric Patient," ed. Barnhill, JW, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. (2008).
- Galanter CA and Jensen PS, Diagnostic Decision Making in "The DSM-IV-TR Casebook and Treatment Guide for Child Mental Health," Ed. Galanter CA and Jensen PS, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. (2009).
- Galanter CA and Jensen PS, Ed. "The DSM-IV-TR Casebook and Treatment Guide for Child Mental Health," American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. (2009).
- Galanter CA and Jensen PS, Ed. "The DSM-5 Casebook and Treatment Guide for Child Mental Health," American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. (2016).