SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Jeremy D. Coplan, MD
Professor of Psychiatry
Director, Nonhuman Primate Facility
Director, Division of Neuropsychopharmacology
Dr. Coplan is currently a Professor of Psychiatry at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in Brooklyn. He received his medical degree from the University of Witwatersrand, South Africa, and completed his residency at SUNY Downstate where he was chosen to be one of our Chief Residents. Dr. Coplan went on to do an NIMH-Sponsored Psychiatric Fellowship in Biological Psychiatry – Affective and Anxiety Disorders at Columbia University. After his fellowship, Dr. Coplan spent some time working in the Psychiatry Department of Columbia University while also doing research in the Biological Studies Unit at the New York State Psychiatric Institute. In the year 2000, Dr. Coplan returned to SUNY where he has been involved in Nonhuman Primate Studies, resident and medical student lectures as well as supervision for residents in psychopharmacology. He is involved in our medical student mentoring program and has also participated on committees for Ph.D. students at the University.
Overall Dr. Coplan has 150 Publications and 120 Peer Reviewed Articles
- Jeremy D. Coplan, Sarah Hodulik, Sanjay J. Mathew, Xiangling Mao, Patrick R. Hof, Jack M. Gorman, Dikoma C. Shungu. The Relationship between Intelligence and Anxiety: An Association with Subcortical White Matter Metabolism. Frontiers in Evolutionary Neuroscience, 2012; 3 DOI: 10.3389/fnevo.2011.00008
- A pilot study of hippocampal volume and N-acetylaspartate (NAA) as response biomarkers in riluzole-treated patients with GAD.Chadi G Abdallah, Jeremy D Coplan, Andrea Jackowski, João R Sato, Xiangling Mao, Dikoma C Shungu and Sanjay J Mathew Eur Neuropsychopharmacol (2012) PMID 22739126
- Coplan JD, Abdallah CG, Kaufman J, Gelernter J, Smith EL, Perera TD, Dwork AJ, Kaffman A, Gorman JM, Rosenblum LA, Owens MJ, Nemeroff CB. Early-life stress, corticotropin-releasing factor, and serotonin transporter gene: a pilot study. Psychoneuroendocrinology. 2011 Feb;36(2):289-93. Epub 2010 Aug 6.
- Perera TD, Dwork AJ, Keegan KA, Thirumangalakudi L, Lipira CM, Joyce N, Lange C, Higley JD, Rosoklija G, Hen R, Sackeim HA, Coplan JD. Necessity of hippocampal neurogenesis for the therapeutic action of antidepressants in adult nonhuman primates. PLoS One. 2011 Apr 15;6(4):e17600.
- Jackowski A, Perera TD, Abdallah CG, Garrido G, Tang CY, Martinez J, Mathew SJ, Gorman JM, Rosenblum LA, Smith EL, Dwork AJ, Shungu DC, Kaffman A, Gelernter J, Coplan JD, Kaufman J. Early-life stress, corpus callosum development, hippocampal volumetrics, and anxious behavior in male nonhuman primates. Psychiatry Res. 2011 Apr 30;192(1):37-44. Epub 2011 Mar 5.
- Kinnally EL, Feinberg C, Kim D, Ferguson K, Leibel R, Coplan JD, John Mann J. DNA methylation as a risk factor in the effects of early life stress Brain Behav Immun. 2011 May 11. [Epub ahead of print]
- Coplan JD, Abdallah CG, Tang CY, Mathew SJ, Martinez J, Hof PR, Smith EL, Dwork AJ, Perera TD, Pantol G, Carpenter D, Rosenblum LA, Shungu DC, Gelernter J, Kaffman A, Jackowski A, Kaufman J, Gorman JM. The role of early life stress in development of the anterior limb of the internal capsule in nonhuman primates. Neurosci Lett. 2010 Aug 16;480(2):93-6. Epub 2010 Jun 10.
- Abdallah CG, Tang CY, Mathew SJ, Martinez J, Hof PR, Perera TD, Shungu DC,Gorman JM, Coplan JD. Diffusion tensor imaging in studying white matter complexity: a gap junction hypothesis. Neurosci Lett. 2010 May 21;475(3):161-4. Epub 2010 Apr 3
- Stevens HE, Leckman JF, Coplan JD, Suomi SJ. Risk and resilience: early manipulation of macaque social experience and persistent behavioral and neurophysiological outcomes. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2009;48:114-127.
- Mathew SJ, Mao X, Keegan KA, Levine SM, Smith EL, Heier LA, Otcheretko V, Coplan JD, Shungu DC. Ventricular cerebrospinal fluid lactate is increased in chronic fatigue syndrome compared with generalized anxiety disorder: an in vivo 3.0 T (1)H MRS imaging study. NMR Biomed. 2009;22:251-258.