SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Carl I. Cohen, MD
SUNY Distinguished Service Professor
Director, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry
Director, Fellowship Program
Tel: (718) 287-4806
Dr. Carl I. Cohen is SUNY Distinguished Service Professor & Director, Division of Geriatric Psychiatry at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. He is also the founding director of the Brooklyn Alzheimer's Disease Assistance Center and the Geriatric Psychiatry Fellowship Program. He is a graduate SUNY Buffalo School of Medicine and completed his residency at NYU /Bellevue medical centers. He has authored over 180 articles and 3 books on topics in mental illness, aging and social psychiatry. His most recent books are Liberatory Psychiatry: Philosophy, Politics, and Mental Health(Cambridge, 2008) and Schizophrenia Into Later Life: Treatment, Research, and Policy(APPI, 2003). He has been the recipient of over 50 research, training, and service grants. He has received numerous awards and honors including Educator of the Year (American Association of Geriatric Psychiatry), Psychiatrist of the Year (American Association of Community Psychiatry), the Exemplary Psychiatrist Award (NAMI), "Best Doctors In America," "Best Doctors in New York," "Who's Who in the World," and "Who's Who in America." He was also a recipient of a "Geriatric Mental Health Academic Award" from the National Institute of Mental Health.
- Cohen C.I., Sokolovsky J. Old Men of the Bowery: Survival Strategies for the Homeless. Guilford Press, New York, 1989.
- Cohen C.I.(Ed) Schizophrenia Into Later Life. American Psychiatric Press, Washington, D.C.,2003
- Cohen C.I., Tamimi S. (Eds.) Liberatory Psychiatry. Philosophy, Politics, and Mental Health. London, Cambridge University Press 2008.
Edited Journal Issues
- Cohen C.I. (Ed.) Progressive Perspectives on Community Mental Health. Community Mental Health Journal Vol. 29, No. 6, December, 1993.
- Vahia I.V., Cohen C.I. (Eds) Late-Life Schizophrenia and Other Psychoses. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry, Vol. 15, No.12, December, 2007
- Sapra,M, Vahia,IV, Reyes, P., Ramirez PM, Cohen CI Subjective reasons for adherence to psychotropic medication and associated factors among older adults with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 106:348-355, 2008.
- Henry K.A., Cohen C.I. Perimenstrual headache:Treatment options. Current Headache Reports 7:70-76, 2008.
- Jones, SM, Vahia I, Cohen CI, Hindi A. Nurhussein M: A pilot study to assess behaviors, attitudes, and interoffice communication by psychiatrists and primary care providers in the care of older adults with schizophrenia. International Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 24:254-60, 2009.
- Cohen C.I., Pathak R., Vahia I., Ramirez PM. Outcome Among Community Dwelling Adults with Schizophrenia: Results Using Five Conceptual Models. Community Mental Health Journal Volume 45: 151 -156, 2009.
- Vahia I, Cohen C.I. Geriatric Psychiatry: Schizophrenia and Delusional Disorders. In Sadock, BJ & Sadock VA (Eds), Kaplan and Sadock's Comprehensive Textbook of Psychiatry. Philadelphia, Pa, Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, 2009.
- Brenner , S. Cohen C.I. Medical Health in Aging Persons With Schizophrenia. In J.M. Meyer and H.A. Nasrallah (Eds), Medical Illness and Schizophrenia. 2nd Edition Washington, D.C. American Psychiatric Publishing, 2009.
- Henry, K.A, Cohen CI. Perimenstrual headache:Treatment options. Curr Pain Headache Rep. 13:82-88, 2009.
- Cohen CI, Goh KH, Yaffee R, Prehogan A. Depression Outcome Among a biracial sample of depressed urban elders. Am J of Geriatric Psychiatry 17:943-52, 2009.
- Abdallah C, Cohen, CI , Sanchez-Almira, M, Reyes, P, Ramirez, PM. Community Integration And Associated Factors Among Older Adults With Schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services 12:1642-648, 2009.
- Cohen,CI, Goh KH, Gustave M. A Prospective Study of Outcome and Predictors of Subclinical and Clinical Depression in an Older Biracial Sample of Psychiatric Outpatients. J of Affective Disorders 121: 204-211, 2010
- Ibrahim F, Cohen CI, Ramirez, PM. Successful Aging in Older Adults with Schizophrenia: Prevalence and Associated Factors. Am J of Geriatric Psychiatry 18:879-886, 2010.
- Cohen CI, Abdallah C, Diwan S. Suicide Attempts and Associated Factors in Older Adults with Schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 119(1-3):253-7, 2010.
- Cohen CI, Jimenez C, Mittal S: The Role of Religion in the Well-being Of Older Adults with Schizophrenia. Psychiatric Services 61:917-922, 2010.
- Janardhanan T, Cohen CI, Kim, S, Rizvi BF: Dental care and associated factors among older adults with schizophrenia. .Journal of the American Dental Association 142:57-65, 2011.
- Cohen CI, Hassamal SK, Sodhi D: General coping strategies and their impact on quality of life in older adults with schizophrenia. Schizophrenia Research 127(1-3):223-8, 2011.
- Cohen CI, Henry KA: The prevalence of headache and associated psychosocial factors in an urban biracial sample of older adults. International Journal of Psychiatry in Medicine 41(4):329-42, 2011.
- Cohen CI, Palekar,N, Barker J, Ramirez PM: The relationship between trauma and clinical outcome variables among older adults with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry 20:408-415, 2012.
- Cohen, C.I., Ibrahim, F. Serving elders in the public sector. In McQuisten H.L., Sowers, W., Ranz J.M., Feldman, J.M., Handbook of Community Psychiatry. New York, Springer, 2012.
- Cohen CI, McKenzie S, Rahmani M, Prospere, E, Singh J : Historical changes in the severity of dementia and accompanying neuropsychiatric symptoms in persons presenting for evaluation in a multi-racial urban dementia center. Alzheimer Disease & Associated Disorders - An International Journal, in press.
- Cohen CI, Natarajan N, Araujo M, Solanki D: Prevalence of Negative Symptoms and Associated Factors in Older Adults with Schizophrenia Spectrum Disorder. Amer. J of Geriatric Psychiatry, in press.
- Cohen , C.I., Solanki, D., Sodhi D. Interpersonal conflict strategies and their impact on positive symptom remission in persons aged 55 and older with schizophrenia spectrum disorders. International Journal of Psychogeriatrics, in press.