SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Psychiatry & Behavioral Sciences
Welcome to the Department of Psychiatry
"In order to cure the human body, it is necessary to have knowledge of the whole of things."
The Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences at SUNY Downstate is among the largest and most diverse in the country. As the only public medical school Department of Psychiatry in New York City, and the only University Department of Psychiatry in Brooklyn, New York's most populous borough, we have a complex, multidimensional mission.
News & Announcements
- Shama Patel, MD - American Psychiatric Association Child Fellowship Award 2015
- Ammar El Sara, MBChB - American Society of Psychopharmacology Fellowship on Clinical Trials Travel Award 2015
American Psychiatric Association Mind Games Resident Competition
Every year, the American Psychiatric Association holds a competition for teams of three residents from any of the psychiatric residency training programs throughout the United States. This event is called "Mind Games". It is a Jeopardy-like competition where the teams are required to answer questions covering the entire field of psychiatry as quickly as they can. The initial screening is held online, with the three highest scoring teams competing live at the APA National Meetings in May.
SUNY Downstate Department of Psychiatry team scored number 8th place out of 99 competitor groups from around the country.
Our team this year consisted of:
Jacob Birk, PGY-1
Srinath Gopinath, PGY-3
Ammed Arain PGY-3
» American Association of Directors of Psychiatric Residency Training (AADPRT) Annual
Meeting - Innovative Workshop
Orlando, Florida, March 4-7
- Title: Navigating Through the New ERAS System
Presenters: Juliet Arthur, MHA, Barbara Gamboni-Silva
»Brooklyn Psychiatric Society (BPS) Annual Meeting and Resident Poster Competition
Brookdale University Medical Center Wednesday, March 18th, 2015
Presenters from Downstate:
- Title: Clinical and Socio-demographic Characteristics of Adults Recently Admitted to the
Kings County Outpatient Psychiatric Service: a Chart Review Study.
Presenter: Ammar El Sara
- Title: Cabergoline in the treatment of Risperidone induced hyperprolactinemia: A case report.
Presenter: Maninder Bhutani
- Title: Human trafficking: federal legislation enabling prevention, protection, prosecution
with ongoing challenges.
Presenter: Shama Patel
- Title: Clozapine use in patients with HIV and treatment refractory schizophrenia patients:
Where does filgrastim fit in?
Presenter: Anupriya Razdan