SUNY Downstate Medical Center
Department of Pharmacy
Infectious Diseases Pharmacy Residency
- Adult Infectious Diseases consult service
- Antimicrobial stewardship program
- Critical care
- HIV clinic
- Infection control
- Microbiology laboratory
- Pediatric infectious diseases
- Transplant infectious diseases
Two research projects are required. It will enable the resident to develop skills in clinical research, study design and statistical analysis. These projects are usually presented at ICAAC, IDSA or ACCP. The projects should lead to a manuscript suitable for publication.
Examples of Past Research Projects
- Risk factors and outcome of Clostridium difficile infection in patients with neutropenia
- Clinical outcomes associated with the use of anticoagulant and antiplatelet agents in patients on treatment for infective endocarditis
- Immunologic and Virologic Responses to Antiretrovial Therapy in Treatment-Naive, HIV-Infected Elderly Patients (Platform presentation at ASM Microbe)
- Impact of the implementation of a pharmacist driven microbiological culture surveillance as part of an emergency department antimicrobial stewardship service
- The Impact of Infectious Diseases Consultations on Multidrug-Resistant Gram-Negative Infections (Platform presentation at ID Week; Won Top 4 abstracts by Infectious Diseases Society of America)
- Treatment Outcomes for Infections Caused by "SPICE" (S–Serratia, P–Pseudomonas aeruginosa, I–Indole positive Proteus , C–Citrobacter, E–Enterobacter) Organisms: Carbapenem versus Non-Carbapenem Regimens
- Gram Negative Bacteremia: Are Shorter Courses of Antimicrobial Therapy Feasible? (Received NYSCHP Infectious Diseases REF Research Award, $2000.00)
- Virologic Outcomes with Elvitegravir (EVG) and Raltegravir (RAL) in an Urban Cohort. (Received travel grant from ACCP ID-PRN)
- Value of Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus (MRSA) and Carbapenem-Resistant Enterobacteriaceae (CRE) Surveillance in Predicting Subsequent Infections. (Received travel grant from ACCP ID-PRN)
- Use of Aspirin and Statins for Primary Prevention of Myocardial Infection and Stroke in Human Immunodeficiency Virus Positive Patients. (Received NYSCHP HIV REF Research Award. $2000.00)
- Outcomes of Methicillin Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia and Vancomycin MIC in Hemodialysis Patients. (Received NYSCHP Infectious Disease REF Research Award)
- Evaluation and Management of Pediatric Bacteremia in Post-Pneumococcal Vaccination Era at a Tertiary Care University Hospital in Brooklyn.
- Effectiveness of Preoperative Skin Antiseptic Measures on Prevention of Surgical Site Infections.
- Utilization of Piperacillin-Tazobactam at a University Hospital.
- Incidence and Risk Factors of CA-MRSA in HIV Infected Patients.
- Improving Immunization through educational efforts at a University Teaching Hospital. (Won best poster at ACCP in the resident category)
- Implementation of Surgical Infection Prevention Project at a University Teaching Hospital.