SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Pharmacy
SUNY Downstate Medical Center Department of Pharmacy Services welcomes you to our website! Please browse and explore, and feel free to contact us with additional questions.
About the Pharmacy
SUNY Downstate Medical Center’s pharmacy department provides oversight of medication selection and utilization for inpatients of SUNY Downstate Medical Center and our Bay Ridge division. It also provides oversight to an outpatient dialysis center and ambulatory care clinics. We work very closely with the medical and nursing staffs to make sure all medications are prescribed appropriately, are administered safely and work effectively. Our dedicated team which includes staff pharmacist, technicians, interns and clinical pharmacist, deliver highly compassionate and personalized care to our patients with patient safety and well-being as its number one priority. We have recently acquired a clinical decision support system (Theradoc®) which will further enhance our services that are provided. As a result, Pharmacy Department is very well respected within the organization.
The Department of Pharmacy is committed to pharmacy education and we are affiliated with three colleges of pharmacy, Long Island University, SUNY Buffalo, and Rutgers University. Educating the next generation of pharmacist is very important to us. The SUNY Downstate Medical Center Pharmacy Residency Program prides itself in developing highly qualified independent practitioners able to provide patient-centered care in various environments. Pharmacists completing this program will be capable of conducting their practice with a high level of maturity and leadership, and be able to perform practice-related projects.
The Pharmacy Department is staffed by over 30 pharmacists and 30 support staff. Pharmacists are an integral and respected part of the multidisciplinary health care team. As support to all members of the health care team, they are increasing their responsibilities for designing, implementing and evaluating a therapeutic regimen to produce optimal outcomes for patients.
Some of the contributions made by our pharmacists to providing quality, patient centered care include:
- Influencing the selection of appropriate therapies
- Monitoring of drug therapy
- Providing counseling to patients and families to reduce readmission rates
- Presentations to Pharmacy and Therapeutics Committee
- Conducting drug-use evaluation studies
- Educating medical residents, medical students, pharmacy students, nurses and other health care professionals by providing in-services
- Providing didactic lectures to 2nd year medical students
- Drafting protocols, policies and procedures to ensure appropriate and economical use of agents
- Participating in daily rounds with various medical teams.