SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
The Children's Hospital
Vatcharapan Umpaichitra, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Pediatric Endocrinology Fellowship Program Director
Tel: (718) 613-8605 • Fax: (718) 270-1985
Dr. Vatcharapan Umpaichitra has been board certified in both Pediatric Endocrinology and General Pediatrics for over 15 years. She graduated from the fellowship training program in Pediatric Endocrinology at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and continued as a research fellow at the same institution. Dr. Umpaichitra has held several positions in different institutions. She was a faculty member of Department of Pediatrics and the Director of the Pediatric Endocrinology Division at The Brookdale University Hospital Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. Dr. Umpaichitra has also served as the Medical Director of the Endocrine Specialty Center. The center receives congenital adrenal hyperplasia and hypothyroidism referrals from Newborn Screening Program of New York State Department of Health. She was a pediatric endocrinologist consultant at Jamaica Hospital Medical Center, Jamaica, NY and at Premier HealthCare, Young Adult Institute/National Institute for People with Disabilities. New York, NY. Dr. Umpaichitra has been appointed as an Adjunct Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, Department of Clinical Specialties, New York College of Osteopathic Medicine, New York, NY.
Dr. Umpaichitra is now an Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, SUNY Downstate and serves as the Director of the Pediatric Endocrinology Division and the Pediatric Endocrinology Fellowship Program at SUNY Downstate Medical Center.
- Pediatric Resident and Fellow in Pediatric Endocrinology
Department of Pediatrics,
SUNY Downstate Medical Center. Brooklyn, NY.
- Doctor of Medicine,
Faculty of Medicine,
Ramathibodi Hospital, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand.
- Better understanding of metabolically healthy vs. unhealthy obese children and adolescents - early indicators of metabolic abnormalities.
- Different aspects of diabetes, prediabetes, and obesity.
- V. Umpaichitra, W. Bastian, D. Taha, M. A. Banerji, T. W. AvRuskin, S. Castells. C-peptide and glucagon profiles in minority children with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86(4):1605-1609, 2001.
- V. Umpaichitra, W. Bastian, S. Castells. Hypocalcemia in children: Pathogenesis and management. Clin Pediatr 40(6):305-312, 2001.
- V. Umpaichitra, R. Wallerstein, S. Castells. Sponastrime dysplasia with abnormal urinary glycosaminoglycans and growth hormone unresponsiveness. Clin Dysmorphol 11(1):53-56, 2002.
- D. Taha, S. Castells, V. Umpaichitra, W. Bastian, M. A. Banerji. Beta-cell response to intravenous glucagon stimulation in African-American and Hispanic children with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15(1):59-67, 2002.
- V. Umpaichitra, M. A. Banerji, S. Castells. Autoantibodies in minority children with type 2 diabetes mellitus. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 15(Suppl 1):525-530, 2002.
- E. Beltroy, V. Umpaichitra, S. Gordon, S. Castells. Visual diagnosis: Two infants who have coarse facial features and growth and developmental delay. Pediatr Rev 24(1):16-22, 2003.
- V. Umpaichitra, M. A. Banerji, S. Castells. Postprandial hyperlipidemia after a fat loading test in minority adolescents with type 2 diabetes mellitus and obesity. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 17(6):853-864, 2004.
- V. Umpaichitra, M. Mahmood Hussain, S. Castells. Plasminogen activator inhibitor-1 and tissue-plasminogen activator in minority adolescents with type 2 diabetes and obesity. Pediatr Res 58:483-487, 2005.
- D. Taha, V. Umpaichitra, M. Banerji, S. Castells. Type 2 diabetes in African-American adolescents: impaired beta-cell function in the face of severe insulin resistance. J Pediatr Endocrinol Metab 19(2):135-142, 2006.
- V. Umpaichitra. Roles of adipose-derived factors in morbid obesity. Pediatr Endocrinol Rev 3(Suppl 4):537-543, 2006.
- D. Shikha, M. Singla, R. Walia, N. Potter, V. Umpaichitra, A. Mercado, N. Winer. Ambulatory blood pressure monitoring in lean, obese and diabetic children and adolescents. CardioRenal Med 5(3):183-190, 2015.
- Bansal, V. Umpaichitra, N. Desai, S. Perez-Colon. Pediatric Graves' disease. Int J Endocr Metab Disord 1(1): doi http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/ijemd. 104, 2015.
- A. Khokhar, V. Umpaichitra, S. Perez-Colon. Septo-optic dysplasia among children in central Brooklyn. Ann Pediatr Child Health 3(6): 1076, 2015.
- Bansal, S. Castells, V. Umpaichitra, S. Perez-Colon. Presence of 21-Hydroxylase Antibodies in a Boy with X-Linked Adrenal Hypoplasia Congenita. Horm Res Paediatr 84(6):408-413, doi: 10.1159/000440803, 2015.
- V. Umpaichitra. Unusual glycogenic hepatopathy causing abnormal liver enzymes in a morbidly obese adolescent with well-controlled type 2 diabetes: resolved after A1c was normalized by metformin. Clin obesity 6:281-284, doi: 10.1111/cob.12154, 2016.
- E. Kochummen, S. Tong, V. Umpaichitra, V. Chin. A rare case of bilateral Hurthle cell adenoma in an adolescent. Epub ahead of print, doi: 10.1159/000448216, 2016. Horm Res Paediatr.