SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
The Children's Hospital
Sheila Perez-Colon, MD
Assistant Professor of Pediatrics
Division of Pediatric Endocrinology
Tel: (718) 270-4714 • Fax: (718) 270-1985
Dr. Sheila Perez-Colon is a Pediatric Endocrinologist who is double-board certified, in pediatric endocrinology and general pediatrics. She was born in San Juan, Puerto Rico where she completed her Biology Degree at the University of Puerto Rico, Rio Piedras. Completed her medical school at the University Autonoma de Guadalajara and Fifth Pathway Program at New York Medical College, Valhalla, NY. Thereafter, she completed her Pediatric Residency at Maimonides Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. Followed by completion of her Pediatric Endocrinology Fellowship in a combined program at Maimonides Medical Center and SUNY Downstate Medical Center, Brooklyn, NY. Soon after graduation, she chose to stay in Brooklyn and joined the Pediatric Endocrinology Division at SUNY Downstate Medical Center in 2013. Currently, she has outpatient clinics where she sees diverse endocrine disorders within the pediatric population at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Kings County Hospital (KCH). She is Assistant Professor in Pediatrics at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and the Pediatric Endocrinology Diabetes Director for the outpatient clinic at KCH since 2013. Her genuine interest and knowledge on the endocrine field have led her to very productive years in the academic and clinical settings. Since education is a fundamental part of her career, she is also involved with medical school education giving lectures to students at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Saint George students at KCH.
Education / Training / Awards:
- Best Doctor Award-Department of Pediatrics, Kings County Hospital - 2016
- Best Third Year Resident, Pediatric Residency at Maimonides Medical Center - 2010
- The Sassine Rahi Award for Excellence in Neonatology, Pediatric Residency at Maimonides Medical Center - 2010
- Best In-Patient Clinical Manager, Pediatrics Residency at Maimonides Medical Center - 2010
- Best First Year Resident, Pediatric Residency at Maimonides Medical Center - 2007
- Class Rank #1 at Medical School UAG - 2006
- Best Well Rounded Female Student at Medical School UAG - 2004
- Cum laude graduate - Universidad de Puerto Rico - 2002
Dr. Perez-Colon is active in clinical research with several on-going projects, mainly on diabetes, disorders of growth and puberty, adrenal gland disorders, androgens disorders, obesity, thyroid disorders, endothelial function in diabetes and obesity and Duchene muscular dystrophy associated endocrinopathies among others.
She has published in peer-review journals and is actively a reviewer in different medical journals. She has presented on National, International and Regional conferences across the world. Her work has been awarded during society meetings across the country.
- Khokhar A., Agarwal S., Perez-Colon, S. Williams Syndrome and 15q Duplication Syndrome: Coincidence vs Association. Molecular Syndromology (2016). Accepted for publication-in press
- Khokhar A, Castells S, Perez-Colon, S. Genetic Disorders of Vitamin D Metabolism: Case series and Literature Review. Clin Pediatr(Phila). 2016 May;55(5):404-14. PMID: 26701718
- Bansal S, Castells S, Umpaichitra V, Perez-Colon, S. Presence of 21-Hydroxylase Antibodies in a Boy with X-linked Adrenal Hypoplasia Congenita. Horm Res Paediatr. 2015;84(6):408-13. PMID: 26448365
- Bansal S, Umpaichitra V, Desai N, Perez-Colon, S. (2015) Pediatric Graves' Disease. Int J Endocr Metab Disord 1(1): doi http://dx.doi.org/10.16966/2380-548X.104
- Khokhar A, Umpaichitra V, Perez-Colon S. (2015) Septo-Optic Dysplasia among Children in Central Brooklyn. Ann Pediatr Child Health 3(6): 1076