SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Payroll / Time and Attendance
|Web feedback welcomed. Didn't find what you needed, or a broken link? eMail us.|
Time & Attendance INFO
|Location:||EB Room B-007|
|Hours:||M-F 9am to 5pm, Walk-ins 10am to 3pm, except holidays|
|Director:||Jennifer Del Rosario,
|Asst Director:||Patricia Ralph,
Forms and Documents
State employees are Paid Bi-Weekly on Wednesdays for work performed two weeks earlier; Each pay week begins on Thursday and ends on Wednesday. Students are paid on alternate Thursday.
The Salary Factor for calculating biweekly Bi-Weekly check salary is based upon the number of workdays in the state fiscal year. Dividing your annual salary by 26 will not give you the correct biweekly salary total. The salary factor use is .038356 (for leap year is .038251):
Full-time employees: Base Salary X Factor
Part-time employees: Base Salary X Factor X Percentage of obligation (FTE)
- CSEA Compensation Time Usage (SUNY NYS Fiscal year begins April 1st and ends March 31st)
- Direct Deposit Form for NYS Employees (AC2772)
- Municipal Credit Union Deduction Authorization
- Payroll Authorization Form
- Payroll Authorization To Mail Checks
- Payroll Data Update Form for Student Assistant & College Workstudy
- Prior Year Social Security and Medicare Tax Refund Certification
- Property Tracking Form
- Report of Overtime Meal Allowance
- Supervisor's Report of Overtime
Change of Address: Status changes (marital status, phone number, address, social security number, etc) can be made by completing a Personal Data Update form and attaching legal documentation. This form can be obtained from the internal HR website at HRLIB.downstate.edu. Send completed form and documents to: HRTransactions@downstate.edu and use eMail Subject Line = Employee Status Change. Some status changes may require employee to visit to DHR in person.
- If you are changing your address TO or LEAVING the 5 boroughs of NYC (Brooklyn, Bronx, Queens, Manhattan, and Staten Island), you will need to complete a new W4-Form and IT-2104 Form (e.g. From NJ to NYC, or FROM NYC to NJ).
- If you have any questions, feel free to contact Payroll at ext. 1139 or email Payroll@downstate.edu.
We went live as a campus as of December 5, 2017 with NYS Payroll Online. Please see the NYS Payroll Online Flyer and in the Training Resources review the NYS Payroll Online Self Service presentation.
Tax for Lump Sum Payments: Supplemental wages are generally taxed using the Optional Flat Rate Method (flat 25%). The MC Merit Award has been determined to be supplemental wages and will be taxed using this method. The SUNY Discretionary Award (Earnings Code "SMR") is taxable income subject to employment and income taxes and will be taxed using the Supplemental Optional Flat Rate Method.
- Be advised that this method will override any W-4 information that is currently in PayServ.
- Additional information: http://www.osc.state.ny.us/agencies/pbull/suny/su238.htm
W2 Forms are mailed from NYS-Albany to the employee's address on file on or before January 31 of each year.
- New York State Payroll Online (NYSPO) Electronic Delivery of 2019 Form W-2 Statement - Payroll Bulletin No. 1772
- Request for Duplicate W-2: To request a duplicate W-2 statement after February 15: eMail the completed form to Payroll@downstate.edu or fax to 718-270-4143.
- Payroll Bulletin – Federal Withholding Change for Tax Year 2018
- IRS W-4 Forms
- IT-2104 (State Tax Form): Employee's Withholding Allowance Certificate (IT-2104)
- IT-2104E (For Students): Student FICA Tax Exemption Policy
- IT-2104E Form: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pdf/current_forms/it/it2104e_fill_in.pdf
- IT-2104.1: Certificate of Nonresidence and Allocation of Withholding Tax
- Earned Income Tax Credit
- FICA Exemption Form
Non-Resident Aliens Forms:
- Non-Resident Alien - Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
- FICA Questionnaire (Social Security & Medicare Tax Withholding for Foreign Nationals
- Form 8233 (Exemption from Withholding on Compensation for Independent Personal Services of a Nonresident Individual): https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8233.pdf
- Form 8233 (Instructions):https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i8233.pdf
- U.S. Tax Treaties Guides (IRS Publication 901): https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-901
- U.S. Tax Guide for Aliens (IRS Publication 519): https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/about-publication-519
- Request for Alien Information for Employees and Fellows
Reimbursement of Relocation Expenses
Reimbursement of relocation is a reportable expense and is subject to Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax guidelines.
State employees may be reimbursed for the actual moving costs of household goods, personal effects and transportation costs. No reimbursement shall be provided for household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds. The appointee should select a carrier that is registered with the Department of Transportation. If a private mover is used, three written estimates must be obtained; the lowest of which will be used for reimbursement.
Claim for reimbursement must be submitted within one year of the effective date of the appointment.
Relocation Expenses Eligible for Reimbursement
- Basic cost of moving household goods.
- Basic cost of rental of trailers or trucks.
- Cost of packing and/or unpacking of household goods or personal effects if such services are provided by the carrier.
- Cost of transportation of the appointee and his/her family to the new location at the current IRS rate for the use of personally owned vehicles. The mileage to be measured by the shortest highway route between two places of residence. Payment will be made for one vehicle only, or actual method of transportation used (e.g. airfare).
- Cost of additional insurance above the lowest valuation rate charged.
Relocation Expenses Ineligible for Reimbursement
- Transportation of automobiles, boats and other motor vehicles.
- Household goods and personal effects in excess of 12,000 pounds.
- Temporary housing and pre-move expenses.
- Employee Report of Travel Expenses and Claim For Payment
- Request / Agreement for Moving Expense Reimbursement (AC 1099-S)
- Original Bill of Lading, copy of Packing Slips and Proof of Payment.
- Statement of Automobile Travel, if requesting the cost of moving one personal automobile at the allowable rate of $.18 per mile effective January 1, 2018.