SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Otolaryngology
Research Report: Ongoing Research Projects
In the year 2019-2020, Drs. Kollmar, Sundaram, Stewart, Kansal and Schild continued their work supported by an R03 from the NINDS studying seizure induced laryngospasm in mice and an R21 from the NIDCD studying the restoration of recurrent laryngeal nerve function after injury in a rat model. Dr. Chernichenko continues work on her New York State ECRIP Fellowship Award studying the role of Rho GTPases in perineural invasion in a zebrafish model. Drs. Boruk and Wu, in collaboration with the Departments of Medicine and Cell Biology, have continued their work supported by 2 FAMRI grants and one NIH grant studying eosinophils for the treatment of sinusitis, the impact of CXCL11 on chronic rhinosinusitis in smokers and transcriptome sequencing of neuronal cell lines from patients with schizophrenia.
Dr. Rosenfeld continued his work with the AAO-HNS, developing clinical practice guidelines on epistaxis, opioid prescribing in otolaryngology and drug-induced sleep endoscopy, and along with Dr. Goldstein a clinical consensus statement on ankyloglossia in children. He also developed an expert consensus statement on nutrition for the American College of Lifestyle Medicine. Dr. Chernichenko, in collaboration with Dr. Hopkins and Dr. Moro Salifu of the Department of Medicine, initiated projects evaluating health disparities in patients with head and neck cancer and angioedema. Drs. Butts, Plum and Patel performed a review of immediate tracheostomy outcomes in adults and children, and are currently planning a quality initiative. Dr. Abu-Ghanem is spearheading a multidisciplinary assessment of aspiration and dysphagia in COVID-19 patients and Drs. Boruk, Tabtabai and Schild are studying anosmia in COVID-19 patients.
Notable publications include Dr. Irizzary’s, Dr. Sukato’s, Dr. Kollmar’s, Dr. Schild’s, Dr. Silverman’s and Dr. Sundaram’s Seizures induce obstructive sleep apnea in DBA/2J audiogenic seizure-prone mice: Lifesaving impact of tracheal implants published in Epilepsia, Dr. Goldstein’s The generalizability of the Clinical Assessment Score-15 for pediatric sleep-disordered breathing published in Laryngoscope, Dr. Patel’s, Dr. Wu’s and Dr. Rosenfeld’s Upper lip frenotomy for neonatal breastfeeding problems published in the International Journal of Pediatric Otorhinolaryngology, Dr. Rosenfeld’s Tympanostomy tube controversies and issues: State of the art review published in the ENT Journal and Dr. Gulati’s and Dr. Butts’ Neonatal ear molding published in Laryngoscope.
Richard M. Rosenfeld, MD, MPH, MBA
- Physician attitudes regarding in-office insertion of tympanostomy tubes in children without general anesthesia
- AAO-HNS clinical practice guideline on epistaxis
- AAO-HNS clinical practice guideline on opioid prescribing in otolaryngology
- AAO-HNS clinical practice guideline on tonsillectomy (update)
- AAO-HNS clinical consensus statement on ankyloglossia
- AAO-HNS clinical consensus statement on drug-induced sleep endoscopy (DICE)
- AAO-HNS quality measures development program
- American College of Lifestyle Medicine, expert consensus statement on nutrition
- Multiple ongoing projects assisting otolaryngology residents with research design, systematic review, and data analysis
Sara Abu Ghanem, MD
- Multidisciplinary Speech Language Pathology/ Otolaryngology Aspiration and Dysphagia Assessment in suspected/proven COVID-19 Patients
Ofer Azoulay, MD
- Submental Artery Island Flap versus Free Flap in Head and Neck Reconstruction: A meta-analysis. Scope review on VSS and CAD /CAM on head and neck reconstruction.
- ICU Vs Alternative care for post op head and neck free flap reconstruction. Systematic review and meta-analysis
- Free flap in the geriatric population. case serious
Boris Bentsianov, MD
- Randomized clinical control trail comparing the effects of a steroid eluting implant versus triamcinolone impregnated carboxymethylcellulose foam on the post-operative clinical experience of patients undergoing FESS surgery for nasal polyps
- Systematic review of voice outcomes for injection laryngoplasty performed under local vs. general anesthesia
- Patient self-perception of voice quality in Reinke’s Edema – date acquisition
Marina Boruk, MD
- Targeting eosinophils for the treatment of sinusitis.
- The Impact of CXCL11 on Chronic Rhinosinusitis in Smokers.
- Transcriptome sequencing of neuronal cell lines from patients with schizophrenia.
- Randomized clinical control trial using carboxymethylcellulose impregnated triamcinolone in nasal polyposis.
- Impact of Schizophrenia Polygenic Risk on Brain Structure and Function.
- Analysis of Anosmia During the COVID-19 Pandemic.
- Single cell transcriptomes of respiratory epithelium in patients with post-COVID-19 anosmia.
Sydney Butts, MD
- Post-operative tracheostomy complications in adults and children. Principal Investigator: Sydney C. Butts, MD; Co-PI: Ann Plum, MD Co-Investigator-Prayag Patel
- The Incidence of Concussions in Facial Trauma Patients: A Prospective Study
Natalya Chernichenkor, MD
- National Surgical Quality Improvement Program database study of surgical complications in head and neck surgical oncology
- Health and Health Care Disparities in Otolaryngology-Head and Neck Surgery
Nira Goldstein, MD
- Multi-Institutional Validation of the Clinical Assessment Score-15 (CAS-15) for Pediatric Sleep-Disordered Breathing
- Analysis of outcomes and complications from button batteries as foreign bodies in the ear, nose or throat
- Impact of adenotonsillecomy on homework performance in children with obstructive sleep apnea
- Postoperative Respiratory Complications in Children with Obstructive Sleep Apnea after Adenotonsillectomy
- Free-flap salvage management
- Randomized Controlled Trial of Valganciclovir for Cytomegalovirus Infected Hearing Impaired Infants (ValEAR Trial)
- Impact of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on seizure control in children with comorbid obstructive sleep apnea and seizure disorder
Matthew Hanson, MD
- Cholesteatoma and chronic ear surgery
- Pulsatile tinnitus and cochlear implants
Richard Kollmar, PhD
- Seizure-induced laryngospasm in mice and rats
- The Impact of Vitamin D on Zebrafish Otolith Formation
- The claustrum of Seba's short-tailed bat (Carollia perspicillata)
Ann Plum, MD
- Surgical Management of Sialorrhea – Systematic Review
- Impact of tonsillectomy and adenoidectomy on seizure control in children with comorbid obstructive sleep apnea and seizure disorder. In data collection phase.
- Systematic Review of Surgical Management of Sialorrhea. Accepted for oral presentation at the 2020 Annual AAO-HNS Meeting and manuscript currently being written.
- Immediate post-operative outcomes of tracheostomy in adults and children and its implication for a quality initiative. Manuscript currently being prepared and Quality Initiative component being planned
- Schild S, Irrizary R, Plum A. A rare case of Pediatric Intranasal Lobular Capillary Hemangioma. Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery. Manuscript Submitted.
- Timashpolsky A., Schild S., Ballard, D., Leventer S, Rosenfeld R, Plum A. Endoscopic Injection versus repair of type 1 laryngeal clefts: A systematic review and meta-analysis. American Academy of Otolaryngology- Head and Neck Surgery. Manuscript In revision.
Michal Preis, MD
- Tracheostomy during Covid outbreak
Krishnamurthi Sundaram, MD
- Restoration of recurrent- laryngeal-nerve function after injury in a rat model
- Lifesaving impact of tracheal implants in audiogenic seizure trained mice
- Post treatment PETCT in HP associated oropharyngeal cancer
- Prospective chemoradiation trial in nasopharyngeal cancer- a national study.