SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Ophthalmology
Roman Shinder, MD
Professor of Ophthalmology, Otolaryngology
Director of Oculoplastics
Tel: (718) 270-1714, (718) 780-1530
Background and Expertise
Since 2010 Dr. Shinder has been full time faculty at SUNY Downstate Medical Center. His training is in ophthalmic Plastic and reconstructive surgery. He is board certified by the American Academy of Ophthalmology and is a member of the American Society of Ophthalmic Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons (ASOPRS). Dr. Shinder works with residents primarily at Kings County Hospital and sees patients for the faculty practice at Downstate's Midwood Eye Center and the Montegue St. Brooklyn Heights practice where he is the office medical director. He is an invited peer reviewer of manuscripts for several journals and is an editorial board member for the Asia-Pacific Journal of Ophthalmology.
Dr. Shinder is an author of 13 book chapters with 3 more that are in press, and he is editor of a textbook currently in production. He has also published over 220 peer reviewed publications. Dr. Shinder has given several invited lectures throughout the world. Dr. Shinder is an invited charter member of the North American Society of Academic Orbital Surgeons (NASAOS). Dr. Shinder is looking for innovative ways to diagnose and treat complicated oculoplastic cases. His research interests include:
- Ocular adnexal and orbital oncology
- Pediatric oculoplastics
- Complex reconstruction following excision of ocular adnexal or orbital tumors
- New surgical techniques
Undergraduate: Cornell University, Bachelor of Science, Magna Cum Laude, 8/96-5/00
Medical School: SUNY Upstate Medical University, MD, Cum Laude & AOA, 8/00-5/04.
– New York Hospital of Queens, Transitional Year Program, 7/04-7/05.
– University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey, Ophthalmology residency, 7/05-7/08.
Fellowship: University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center, Ophthalmic Plastic & Reconstructive Surgery fellowship 7/08-7/10
- DeMaria L, Iacob CE, Shinder R. Lymphoma Presenting as Subcutaneous Periorbital Nodules. Clin Dermatol Review. In press.
- Marous CL, Kahila M, Shinder R. Isolated Extranodal Rosai-Dorfman Disease of the Orbitin an Elderly Male. Orbit. 2020 Jan 23:1-2.
- Oh JK, Dehghani A, Shinder R. Solitary Fibrous Tumor of the Conjunctiva. Orbit. 2019 Nov 8:1-2.
- Oh JK, Chandhoke DK, Shinder R. Compressive Optic Neuropathy with Vision Loss due toIgG4-related Orbital Disease. Orbit. 2019 Oct 8:1.
- Chubak A, Kahila M, Shinder R. Congenital Macronodular Eyelid Juvenile Xanthogranuloma. Ophthalmology. 2019 Sep;126(9):1229.
- Chin B, Sassoon J, Farhat N, Shinder R. Reactive Lymphoid Hyperplasia of the Eyelid. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Jun 24.
- Azam ZY, Palazzolo L, Shinder R. Graves’ Disease Presenting with Advanced Orbitopathy and Acropachy. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Jun 18.
- Grossman JL, Djenderedjian L, Xia R, Shinder R. Upper and Lower Canaliculitis with Nasolacrimal Duct Obstruction in a Child. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Jun 11.
- Betesh S, Palazzolo L, Shinder R. Conjunctival Mass from Insect Sting. Orbit. 2019 May 28:1.
- Lazzaro A, Marous C, Shinder R. Extensive Dermolipoma with Inferomedial Corneal Involvement. Orbit. 2019 May 20:1.
- DeMaria L, Shinder R. Cutaneous Periocular Sarcoidosis. Orbit. May 14:1-2.
- Dimopoulos A, Zeng J, Shinder R. Breast Carcinoma Metastatic to the Bilateral Orbits. Orbit. 2019 May 6:1.
- Mechel E, Daniel D, Shinder R. Mechanical Blepharoptosis from Giant Conjunctival Cyst. Orbit. 2019 Apr 25:1.
- Liu XW, Alawad M, Shinder R. Bilateral Punctal Foreign Body Granulomas Secondary to Multiple Retained Punctal Plugs. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Apr 8.
- Raevis J, Lin B, Shinder R. Rapidly Progressive Conjunctival Squamous Cell Carcinoma with Orbital Invasion. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2019 Jan 25.
- Park R, Centeno MG, Shinder R. Ocular Surface Leiomyoma in a Child after Strabismus Repair. Ophthalmology. 2018 Dec;125(12):1968.
- Sagiv O, Bell D, Guo Y, Su S, Wester ST, Jiang K, Yin VT, Shinder R, Hayek B, Kim HJ, Tetzlaff MT, Esmaeli B. Pathological Features and Clinical Course in Patients With Recurrent or Malignant Orbital Solitary Fibrous Tumor/Hemangiopericytoma. Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Oct 26.
- Demaria L, Shinder R. Hidden Globe in an Infant. Jama Ophthalmol. 2018 Aug 16.
- Orr CK, Yazdanie F, Shinder R. Current review of sebaceous cell carcinoma. Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2018 Jul 4.
- Kroll MW, Ritter MB, Kennedy EA, Siegal NK, Shinder R, Brave MA, Williams HE. Eye Injury from Electrical Weapon Probes: Mechanisms and Treatment. Am J Emerg Med. 2018 Jun 2.
- DeMaria LN, Silverman NK, Shinder R. Ophthalmic Pyogenic Granulomas Treated with Topical Timolol – Clinical Features of 17 Cases. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2018 Apr 3.
- Kroll MW, Ritter MB, Kennedy EA, Silverman NK, Shinder R, Brave MA, Williams HE. Eye Injuries from Electrical Weapon Probes: Incidents, Prevalence, and Legal Implications. J Forensic Leg Med. 2018 Feb;55;52-7.
- Dua P, Shinder R, Laskar DB, Lazzaro DR, Rizzuti AE. A case of hypertrophic herpes simplex virus affecting the eyelid and cornea masquerading as IgG4-related disease. Am J Ophthalmol Case Rep. 2017 Dec 13;9:68-71.
- Wladis EJ, Kersten RC, Vagefi MR, Pinheiro-Neto C, Shinder R, Kim HJ. Clinical Features and Outcomes of Post-Traumatic Silent Sinus Syndrome. Ophthal Plast ReconstrSurg. 2018 Jan 10.
- Temnogorod J, Shinder R. The best of the best: a review of select oculoplastic case series published in 2015. Digit J Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov 21;23(4):1-3.
- Li J, Silverman N, Diaz D, Gupta R, Shinder R. Extranodal Diffuse Large B-cell Lymphoma in the Orbit. Digit J Ophthalmol. 2017 Nov 16;23(4).
- Raparia E, Rafailov L, Shinder R. In Office Sutureless Correction of Prolapsed Orbital Fat.5Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Oct 10.
- Silverman N, Spindle J, Tang SX, Wu A, Hong BK, Shore JW, Wester S, Levin F, Connor M, Burt B, Nakra T, Shepler T, Hink E, El-Sawy T, Shinder R. Orbital Floor Fracture with Entrapment: Imaging and Clinical Correlations in 45 Cases. Orbit. 2017 Jul 13:1-6.
- Shah M, Sun L, Elmann S, Vrcek I, Mancini R, Kim J, Carrasco J, Shinder R. Self-Inflicted Enucleations: Clinical Features of 7 Cases. Orbit. 2017 Jun;36(3):154-8.
- Thuro BA, Sagiv O, Shinder R, Debnam JM, Ozgur O, Ng JD, Rootman D, Thomas SK, Esmaeli B. Clinical Presentation and Anatomical Location of Orbital Plasmacytomas. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Jun 2.
- Barsegian A, Shinder R. Eyelid Sebaceous Gland Carcinoma with Extensive Pagetoid Spread. Ophthalmology. 2017 Jun(6):858.
- Silverman N, Shore JW, Shinder R. Subconjunctival Granulomas from Extrascleral Silicon Oil Leak. Ophthalmology. 2017 May;124(5):618.
- Silverman N, Shinder R. What’s New in Eyelid Tumors. Asia Pac J Ophthalmol. 2017 Mar-Apr;6(2):143-52.
- Chen L, Silverman N, Wu A, Shinder R. Intravenous Steroids on Admission for Children with Orbital Cellulitis. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Mar 31.
- Jhaj G, Ilyas G, Shinder R. Eyelid Kaposi’s Sarcoma in an Immunocompetent Woman. Ophthalmology. 2017 Mar;124(3):392.
- Shinder R, Wu A, Mehendale RA, Tang SA, Nasser QJ, Chou E, Sniegowski MC, Janda A, Shepler TR, Blaydon SM, Nakra T. Lacrimal Intubation during Dacryocystorhinostomy utilizing the STENTube. Orbit. 2017 Feb;1:1-7.
- Adam CR, Shields CL, Gutman J,Kim HJ, Hayek B, Shore JW, Bianciotto C, Braunstein A, Levin F, Winn BJ, Vrcek I, Mancini R, Linden C, Choe C, Gonzalez M, Altschul D, Ortega-Gutierrez S, Paramasivam S, Fifi JT, Berenstein A, Durairaj V, Shinder R. Dilated Superior Ophthalmic Vein: Clinical and Radiographic Features of 113 Cases. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2017 Jan 30.
- Barsegian A, Ahmad's A, Shinder R. Leiomyoma of the Palpebral Conjunctiva. Ophthalmology. 2017 Jan;124(1):65.
- Velayudhah V, Chaudhry ZA, Smoker WR, Shinder R, Reede DL. Imaging of Intracranial and Orbital Complications of Sinusitis and Atypical Sinus Infection: What the Radiologist Needs to Know. Curr Probl Diagn Radiol. 2017 Jan 18.
- Shah M, Shao C, Shinder R. Atypical Presentation of IgG4 Related Disease of the Eyelid. Ophthalmology. 2016 Dec;123(12):2508.
- Silverman N, Sassoon J, Shinder R. Eyelid Merkel Cell Carcinoma. Ophthalmology. 2016 Sep 123(9):1897.
- Yazdanie F, Zeng J, Shinder R. Malignant Mixed Tumor of the Lacrimal Gland. Ophthalmology. 2016 Aug;123(8):1736.
- Kurian, J, Chen NN, Shinder R. Orbital Metastatic Neuroblastoma. Ophthalmology. 2016 Aug;123(8):1674.
- Wladis EJ, Shinder R, Lefebvre DR, Sokol JA, Boyce M. Clinical and Microbiologic Features of Dacryocystitis-Related Orbital Cellulitis. Orbit. 2016 Jul 11:1-4.
- Orr CK, Cochran E, Shinder R. Metastatic Scirrhous Breast Carcinoma to Orbit Causing Enophthalmos. Ophthalmology. 2016 Jul;123(7):1529.
- Li J, Zeng J, Shinder R. Atypical Presentation of a Complex Eyelid Choristoma Mimicking a Chalazion with Pyogenic Granuloma. Ophthalmology. 2016 Jun;123(6):1308.
- Temnogorod J, Pointdujour-Lim R, Mancini R, Chang S, Allen RC, Shinder R. Acute Orbital Syndrome in Herpes Zoster Ophthalmicus – Clinical Features of 7 Cases. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Apr 4.
- Avdagic E, Farber N, Katabi N, Shinder R. Carcinoma ex Pleomorphic Adenoma of the Lacrimal Gland with Ductal and Myoepithelial Features. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Mar 1.
- Silverman N, Lanjewar S, Gupta R, Shinder R. IgG4-Related Disease of the Punctum and Canaliculus. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2016 Feb 10.
- Lyons L, Shinder R. Ectopic Eyelid Cilia. J Pediatr Ophthalmol Strabismus. 2016 Jan 1;53(1):64.
- Tan JJ, Narang S, Purewal B, Langer PD, Blaydon S, Schwarcz, McCormick SA, Kim JY, Walrath JD, Burt BO, Shinder R. Extranodal Rosai-Dorfman Disease of the Orbit: Clinical Features of 8 Cases. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Nov 11.
- Spindle J, Tang SX, Davies B, Wladis EJ, Piozzi E, Pellegrini M, Lally SE, Shields C, Shinder R. Pediatric Idiopathic Orbital Inflammation - Clinical Features of 30 Cases. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jul 8.
- Neren A, Reich I, Torno R, Shinder R. Minor Salivary Gland Acinic Cell Carcinoma with Orbital Extension. Ophthal Plast Reconstr Surg. 2015 Jun 11.