SUNY Downstate Medical Center
College of Nursing
Melissa Stec, DNP, APRN, CNM, FACNM, FAAN
Professor and Associate Dean for Evaluation and Educational Innovation
College of Nursing
Tel: (929) 289-3565
- BS: Biology, The Ohio State University, 1999
- MSN: Nurse-Midwifery, Vanderbilt University, 2005
- DNP: Nurse-Midwifery, Vanderbilt University, 2010
Background and Expertise:
Dr. Stec is a Professor and Associate Dean for Evaluation and Educational Innovation at SUNY Downstate. She completed her MSN in nurse-midwifery in 2005 from Vanderbilt and returned there for a DNP that she earned in 2010. She is a 2015 Apple Distinguished Educator and holds an Apple teacher certification. Her mixed methods research entitled “Exploring adaptation to a curriculum delivered via iPad” has completed two phases of research on student and faculty tablet use. Dr. Stec is a fellow in the American Academy of Nursing and is nationally known for her work on technology infusion in nursing education and the translation of pedagogy using technology centric methods.
- NRBS 4360 - Organizational and Systems Leadership in Nursing
- American Academy of Nursing
- Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education
- Sigma ThetaTau International
- American College of Nurse Midwives
- Apple Distinguished Educators
- Arbour, M. and Stec, M. (2018) Mobile Applications to Use in Antepartum Point-of Care Settings: A Pocket Reference for the 21st Century. Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 63(3), 330-334.
- Stec, M. and Arbour, M. (2018) Labor and Delivery Nursing Experience: A Prerequisite for Midwives? Journal of Midwifery and Women’s Health, 63(2), 157-160.
- Stec, M., Bauer, M., Hopgood, D. and Beery, T. (2018) Adaptation to a Curriculum Delivered via IPad. Technology, Knowledge and Learning, 23 (1), 109-127. doi:10.1007/s10758-017-9301-8.
- Stec, M., Garritano, N., et al. (2017). ePortfolio Implementation: Multidisciplinary Case Studies. Journal for Research and Practice in College Teaching. January 2017.
- Garritano, N., Willmarth-Stec, M. and Glazer, G. (2016) The DNP Essentials in Action: Using the Essentials to Build A University-Wide Automatic External Defibrillator Program. Journal of Professional Nursing, 12 (4), e143-150.
- Stec, M., Smith, C and Jacox, E. “Students, Faculty and Devices: Exploring the Domains of Technology Enhanced Learning”, Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, Melbourne, Australia, July 2018.
- Stec, M. “Integrating Technology into Research, Education and Practice”, Billings Lecture. Indiana University. May 2018.
- Stec, M. "Informatics: Integrating the Essentials into Education and Practice”. Sigma Theta Tau National Education Research Conference. April 2018. Washington, DC.
- Stec, M. and Hines, H. “Do We teach How They Learn? Exploring Faculty and Student Teaching and Learning”. American College of Nurse Midwives National Conference. May 2018, Savannah, GA.
- Stec, M. “Adaptation to Curriculum Delivered via iPad Technology”, Sigma Theta Tau International Research Congress, Dublin, Ireland. July 2017.