SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Neurology
Vascular Neurology Fellowship Program
SUNY Downstate offers two positions for 1 year of ACGME-accredited stroke fellowship. One additional year of clinical research, while not required for ACGME certification, is preferred. The fellowship offers comprehensive training in the clinical diagnosis and management of cerebrovascular diseases. Training occurs at SUNY Downstate Medical Center and Kings County Hospital, across the street. Modern imaging of the brain, cerebrovascular structure and perfusion, carotid ultrasound, transcranial Doppler, as well as digital substraction angiography are available. Neurointerventional radiology is available at both sites. The fellows participate in acute stroke care, outpatient stroke clinic, and provide consultations to other services. They also play an active role in daily teaching and ICU rounds, presentations and discussions regarding pathology, hemodynamics and evidence based management of cerebrovascular disorders. As part of the Neurological Emergencies Treatment Trials (NETT) Network, our center enrolls patients in several large clinical trials, offering abundant opportunities for clinical research. The fellows help recruit patients, follow-up, collect data and develop original research projects under our faculty mentorship.
- Completion of ACGME-accredited neurology training program.
- Board eligibile or board certified in Neurology.
- Non-restricted NYS License at time of appointment (except for medically underserved area)
Please send copies (with notary certified translation if not in English) of:
- Personal Statement
- Three letters of recommendation from faculty in your most recent training program. One letter must come from Program Director.
- Dean's letter from your medical school (if available)
- Medical School Diploma
- Medical School Transcript
- USMLE or COMLEX Scores (Parts I, II & III)
Alison E. Baird, MD, PhD
Vascular Neurology Program, MSC 1274
450 Clarkson Avenue
Brooklyn, NY 11203
Richard Jackson, MD
Medical School: Wake Forest
Residency: Beth Israel, Manhattan
Internship: New York University
Clinical Interest: Stroke supportive care
Research Interest: Stroke supportive care