SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Neurology
Steven R. Levine, MD
SUNY Distinguished Professor of Neurology and Emergency Medicine; Executive Vice-Chair of Neurology
Chief of Neurology, University Hospital of Brooklyn
Associate Dean for Clinical Research & Faculty Development, COM
Clinical Research Focus:
My areas of clinical research focus are in clinical cerebrovascular disease, specifically:
-Antiphospholipid antibodies (aPL) and cerebrovascular disease.
-Mobile Applications for Stroke (MAPPS)
-Post-stroke fatigue (PSF)
-Primary Stroke Prevention in Women (PSPW)
-Developing a posterior circulation stroke scale
-Use of large administrative datasets to address trends in stroke disparities and its treatment
|1199 Member Choice
Aetna US Healthcare
AMERIGROUP & HEALTH PLUS MER
HIP of New York
NY Railroad Medicare
Senior Whole Health
United Healthcare - Empire
- IFeldmann E, Wilterdink JL, Kosinski A, Lynn M, Chimowitz MI, Smith HH, Nichols, Rogg J, Cloft, Wechsler L, Saver J, Levine SR, Tegeler C, Adams R, Sloan M, and the The Stroke Outcomes and Neuroimaging of Intracranial Atherosclerosis (SONIA) Trial Investigators: The Stroke Outcomes and Neuroimaging of Intracranial Atherosclerosis (SONIA) Trial. Neurology 2007;68: 2099-2106.
- Demchuk AM, Khan F, Hill MD, Barber PA, Silver B, Patel S, Levine SR: Importance of leukoaraiosis on CT for tPA decision making: Evaluation of the NINDS rt-PA Stroke Study. Cerebrovasc Dis 2008;26:120-125.
- Cucchiara BL, Tanne D, Levine SR, Demchuk A, Kasner SE: A risk score to predict intracerebral hemorrhage after rt-PA for acute ischemic stroke. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2008;17:331-3.
- Turan TN, Maidan L, Cotsonis G, Lynn MJ, Romano JG, Levine SR, Chimowitz MI, for the WASID Investigators: Failure of antithrombotic therapy and risk of stroke in patients with symptomatic intracranial stenosis. Stroke 2009;40:505-509.
- Rajamani K, Chaturvedi S, Jin Z, Homma S, Brey RL, Tilley BC, Sacco RL, Thompson JLP, Mohr JP, Levine SR, on behalf of the PICSS/APASS Investigators. Patent foramen ovale, cardiac valve thickening and antiphospholipid antibodies as risk factors for subsequent vascular events: The PICSS-APASS Study. Stroke 2009;40:2337-42.
- Cucchiara B, Kasner SE, Tanne D, Levine SR, Demchuk A, Messe SR, Sansing L, Lee KR, Lyden P, for the SAINT Investigators: Factors associated with intracerebral hemorrhage following thrombolytic therapy for ischemic stroke: pooled analysis of placebo data from the SAINT-I and SAINT-II trials. Stroke 2009;40:3067-72.
- Rhoney DH, Coplin WM, Lin Y, Frankel M, Lyden PD, Levine SR: Time of day, outcome, and response to thrombolytic therapy: The National Institute of Neurological Disorders and Stroke Recombinant Tissue Plasminogen Activator Stroke Trial experience. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2010;19:40-48.
- Chan, YF, Nagurka R, Richardson L, Zaets S, Brimacombe M, Levine, SR: Effectiveness of stroke education in the emergency department waiting room, J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2010;19:209-15.
- Moskowitz A, Chan Y-F Y, Bruns J, Levine SR: A Survey of emergency physician and stroke specialist beliefs and expectations regarding telestroke. Stroke 2010; 41:805-9.
- Haley EC, Thompson JLP, Grotta JC, Lyden PD, Hemmen TM, Brown DL, Fanale C, Libman R, Kwiatkowski TG, Llinas RH, Levine SR, Johnston KC, Buchsbaum R, Levy G, Levin B, for the TNK in Stroke Investigators: Phase IIB/III trial of tenecteplase in acute stroke: Results of a prematurely terminated randomized clinical trial. Stroke 2010;41:707-711.
- Messé SR, Kasner SE, Cucchiara BL, Demchuk A, Tanne D, Ouyang B, Levine SR; for the NINDS t-PA Stroke Study Group: Dosing errors did not have a major impact on outcome in the NINDS t-PA Stroke Study. J Stroke Cerebrovasc Dis 2010;19: In Press.
- Cucchiara B, Kasner SE, Tanne D, Levine SR, Demchuk A, Messe SR, Sansing L, Lees KR, Lyden P, for the SAINT Investigators: Validation assessment of risk scores to predict postthrombolysis ICH. Int J Stroke 2010, In Press.