SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Department of Neurology
Arthur C. Grant, MD, PhD
Professor of Neurology
Director, Epilepsy Division
Tel: (718) 270-2959
- Effect of epilepsy on perception
- Quantitative EEG
- Plasticity and learning
Education and training:
- BS: MIT
- PhD: MIT
- MD: Case Western Reserve University
- Internal Medicine Internship: Baystate Medical Center
- Neurology Residency: Emory University
- Epilepsy Fellowship: Emory University
- Assistant Professor of Neurology: University of California, Irvine
- Assistant Professor of Neurology: New York University
- Professor of Neurology: SUNY Downstate Health Sciences University
Other languages spoken:
- Margolis SA, Gonzalez JS, Faria C, Kenney L, Grant AC, Nakhutina L. Anxiety disorders in predominantly African American and Caribbean American
adults with intractable epilepsy: the role of perceived epilepsy stigma. Epilepsy
& Behavior, 99:106450, 2019. PMID: 31419635
- Margolis SA, Gonzalez JS, Spindell J, Mohamadpour M, Grant AC, Nakhutina L. Assessment of Medication Management Capacity in a Predominantly African American and Caribbean American Sample of Adults with Intractable Epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior. 88:308-314, 2018. PMID: 30449327
- Margolis SA, Nakhutina L, Schaffer SG, Grant AC, Gonzalez JS. Perceived epilepsy stigma mediates relationships between personality and social well-being in a diverse epilepsy population. Epilepsy & Behavior. 78:7-13, 2018. PMID: 29161631
- Mohamadpour M, Gabriel G, Grant AC. A Native Haitian Woman with Unverricht-Lundborg Disease. Case Reports in Neurology. 9:284–288,
2017. PMID: 29422850
- Nakhutina L, Kunnakkat SD, Coleman M, Lushbough C, Arnedo V, Soni N, Grant AC. Effects of adjunctive lacosamide on mood and quality of life in patients with epilepsy. Epilepsy & Behavior. 73:90-94, 2017. PMID:28623755. (Aug)
- Schneider M, Chau L, Mohamadpour M, Stephens N, Arya K, Grant AC. EEG asymmetry and BIS/BAS among healthy adolescents. Biological Psychology. 120:142-148, 2016. PMID:27702583
- Grant AC, Chau L, Arya K, Schneider M. Prevalence of epileptiform discharges in healthy 11 and 12-year-old children. Epilepsy and Behavior. 62:53-56, 2016. PMID:27450305 (Sep)
- Brouwer GJ, Arnedo V, Offen S, Heeger DJ, Grant AC . Cross-digit suppression in human somatosensory cortex. Journal of Neurophysiology. 114:2588-2599, 2015. PMID:26311189
- Grant AC, Abdel Baki SG, Omurtag A, Sinert R, Chari G, Malhotra S, Weedon J, Fenton AA, Zehtabchi S. Diagnostic accuracy of microEEG: A miniature, wireless EEG device. Epilepsy & Behavior. 34:81-85, 2014. PMID:24727466
- Zehtabchi S, Abdel Baki SG, Omurtag A, Sinert R, Chari G, Roodsari GS, Weedon J, Fenton AA, Grant AC . Effect of microEEG on clinical management and outcomes of Emergency Department patients with altered mental status: A randomized controlled trial. Academic Emergency Medicine. 2014;21:283-291. PMID:24628753
- Grant AC, Abdel-Baki SG, Weedon J, Arnedo V, Chari G, Koziorynska E, Lushbough C, Maus D, McSween T, Mortati KA, Reznikov A, Omurtag A. EEG interpretation reliability and interpreter confidence: A large single center study. Epilepsy & Behavior 32:102-107, 2014. PMID:24531133
- Grant AC, Koziorynska E, Lushbough C, Maus D, Mortati K. Acute post-ictal confusion and violence: Two cases with unfortunate outcomes. Epilepsy & Behavior: Case Reports 1:71-73, 2013. PMID:25667832
- Zehtabchi S, Abdel Baki SG, Omurtag A, Sinert R, Chari G, Malhotra S, Weedon J, Fenton AA, Grant AC . Prevalence of non-convulsive seizure and other electroencephalographic abnormalities in emergency department patients with altered mental status. American Journal of Emergency Medicine 31:1578-1582, 2013. PMID:24070982
- Grant AC , Prus N, Nakhutina L. Factors affecting quality of life in epilepsy in a multi-ethnic urban population. Epilepsy & Behavior 27:283-285, 2013. PMID:23507303
- Zehtabchi S, Abdel Baki SG, Grant AC . Electroencephalographic findings in consecutive emergency department patients with altered mental status: a preliminary report. European Journal of Emergency Medicine 20:126-129, 2013. PMID:22644284
- Omurtag A, Abdel Baki SG, Chari G, Zehtabchi S, Cracco R, Fenton A, Grant AC . Technical and clinical analysis of MicroEEG: a miniature wireless EEG device designed to record high-quality EEG in the emergency department. International Journal of Emergency Medicine ;5:35. DOI: 10.1186/1865-1380-5-35 2012. PMID:23006616
- Mortati KA, Arnedo V, Post N, Jimenez E, Grant AC . Sutton’s law in epilepsy: because that is where the lesion is. Epilepsy & Behavior 24:279–282, 2012. PMID:22542999
- Grant AC, O'Halloran J, Chung S, Gibbs W, Kaplan P. Evaluation of a novel EEG preamplifier. Journal of Clinical Neurophysiology 2006;23(3):258-264.
- Grant AC, Fernandez R, Shilian P, Yanni E, Hill MA. Tactile spatial acuity differs between fingers: a study comparing two testing paradigms. Perception and Psychophysics 2006;68(8):1359-1362.
- Grant AC, Hermanowicz N. Reduction of myogenic artifact with botulinum toxin during video-EEG monitoring. Epilepsia 2007;48(2):324-329.
- Grant AC, Donnelly K, Chubb C, Barr W, Kuzniecky R, Devinsky O. Temporal lobe epilepsy does not impair visual perception. Epilepsia 2008;49:710-713.
- Marcuse L, Schneider M, Mortati K, Donnelly K, Arnedo V, Grant AC. Quantitative analysis of the EEG posterior dominant rhythm in healthy adolescents. Clinical Neurophysiology 2008;119:1778-1781.
- Hickok G, Okada K, Barr W, Pa J, Rogalsky C, Donnelly K, Barde L, Grant AC. Bilateral capacity for speech sound processing in auditory comprehension: evidence from Wada procedures. In press. Brain and Language.
- Prospective International Registry of SUDEP cases
- Various quality improvement projects related to epilepsy care quality indicators
- Various clinical epilepsy projects suitable for residents, e.g. characterizing all patients with both definite epilepsy and psychogenic non-epileptic seizures, or EEG findings in patients with cardiac arrest --> cooling.